• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2014 Off-Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking that would be a good lineup as well.

Stephenson
Kobe
Melo/Ariza
Randle
Pau/Monroe

Farmar
Swaggy
etc...

That wouldn't be bad at all. It's also looking like Bosh isn't willing to take quite the paycut that Miami would like him to. Apparently, he's looking for $16-18mil.

I wouldn't hate the Lakers making a run at him if they can't get 'Melo or maybe even instead of 'Melo. Get him out of Miami and I think that he goes back to being the player he was in Toronto, only with more experience.

Randle can back him up or maybe even slide to the 3 spot. I think Pau would re-sign as well.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wouldn't be bad at all. It's also looking like Bosh isn't willing to take quite the paycut that Miami would like him to. Apparently, he's looking for $16-18mil.

I wouldn't hate the Lakers making a run at him if they can't get 'Melo or maybe even instead of 'Melo. Get him out of Miami and I think that he goes back to being the player he was in Toronto, only with more experience.

Randle can back him up or maybe even slide to the 3 spot. I think Pau would re-sign as well.

If he can expand on his shot a little, he'd be a deadly 3. But can he guard a 3 on the perimeter?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think B. Scott is the new coach and is already on the job and despite Kobe's aspirations, I think we will have another roster of one or two year deals much like last year because the Lakers are not going to get Anthony or LeBron and Gasol wants too much money and wants a ring. He'll sign with the Heat.

If James, Wade and Bosh re-sign (as expected) they won't have enough for Gasol. He isn't signing for less than 10-12 million.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers will offer Stephenson 10-12 million a season and Gasol 8-10 million.

That would leave them with 10 or so million that they could use to re-sign Xavier Henry, Wesley Johnson and Jordan Hill plus some D-Leaguers to fill out the squad.

Next summer when Nash's deal comes off the books they'd have close to 10 million to spend. Not a max guy, but they can make some moves to free up about another 4-5 million and get a good player (just below elite max guy).

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how. Basically, Lebron and 'Melo would have to be willing to sign 2 year deals at about $12 million per season with the agreement that they re-negotiate for a huge raise after those 2 years when Kobe retires, Nash is off the books and Pau likely retires.

Pau would also have to agree to about $8 million per year and they still might not be able to fit Stephenson in.

Getting Pau to sign for around $8 mil per wouldn't be a problem if Lebron and 'Melo sign, but I don't see them signing for half of what Kobe will be making, even if it's only for 2 years.

Even if the Lakers waive Nash and use the stretch provision, it would only get 'Melo and Lebron up to about $15 mil per year. If they don't stretch Nash and just eat his salary this year, they could sign 'Melo and Lebron for $12mil a piece this year and bump it to between $16 and $17 mil next year. Still don't think it would be enough to get them, though.

They may just Nash come off the books next summer.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may just Nash come off the books next summer.

Yeah, I don't think he gets stretched. I think they'll want as much cap space as possible next summer if they miss out on the big names this summer.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't think he gets stretched. I think they'll want as much cap space as possible next summer if they miss out on the big names this summer.

Yeah, the only way Nash gets stretched, imo, is if the Lakers need the extra $6 mil to land one of the big names.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Hayward is that he is an RFA and it's said that the Cavs are going to offer him a max deal. It's also said that Utah will match.

The Lakers would be beyond stupid to give Hayward a max contract and if it's correct that Utah intends to match even a max deal, they will certainly match whatever the Lakers offer.

I believe that the draft pick is top 5 protected. So, if the ping pong balls are kinder to them this time.......

Not only this, but when you offer a RFA, your cap is in limbo until his old team decides what to do with him. If LA offered him a max deal, Utah has 3 days to match. But during those 3 days, LA has little cap room because you have to assume that Hayward is signed. So then if Utah matches after 3 days, LA just lost 3 days in which they could have used that cash to pursue unrestricted FAs.

Point being, LA is playing this right. If you're a team and you think you have shots a high dollar unrestricted guys, you go after them first.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only this, but when you offer a RFA, your cap is in limbo until his old team decides what to do with him. If LA offered him a max deal, Utah has 3 days to match. But during those 3 days, LA has little cap room because you have to assume that Hayward is signed. So then if Utah matches after 3 days, LA just lost 3 days in which they could have used that cash to pursue unrestricted FAs.

Point being, LA is playing this right. If you're a team and you think you have shots a high dollar unrestricted guys, you go after them first.

I had completely forgotten about the 3 days to match. Thanks.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are floating on ESPN that Gasol is being heavily recruited by Bulls and Thunder. Westbrook and KD already met with Pau. Bulls flying to LA now to meet him.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt blame Gasol for leaving.

yep I think its funny throughout years of being offered in trades...no team would give up more than a 2nd round pick...now hes being considered a solid player that will boost your front court. now that they don't have to give anything up for him every team wants him

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Lowry off the table. He resigned with Toronto, 4 yrs for 48 mil

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pau wants to come back. But he wants to win another ring. If the Lakers land 'Melo, Lebron or even Bosh, I believe he'll be back, if not, he's gone.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't understand signing Bosh. Would be too expensive, and we have basically already invested/risked a huge part of the future of our franchise with Randle. I'm not an expert, but nothing I have ever seen would make me believe Randle could ever play the 3 spot. If, and this is a big if, he could play the 3 - it would take years to develop. Also, I don't see Bosh as a 5.

Gasol can play the 4 or the 5, which is why I think re-signing him is huge. Stephenson is also versatile in that he can play the 1 or the 2. I think him and a healthy Kobe at the 1 and 2 is deadly. Then throw in Melo/Ariza with Randle and Gasol and you have a very versatile lineup.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephenson is a head case I don't want.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't understand signing Bosh. Would be too expensive, and we have basically already invested/risked a huge part of the future of our franchise with Randle. I'm not an expert, but nothing I have ever seen would make me believe Randle could ever play the 3 spot. If, and this is a big if, he could play the 3 - it would take years to develop. Also, I don't see Bosh as a 5.

Gasol can play the 4 or the 5, which is why I think re-signing him is huge. Stephenson is also versatile in that he can play the 1 or the 2. I think him and a healthy Kobe at the 1 and 2 is deadly. Then throw in Melo/Ariza with Randle and Gasol and you have a very versatile lineup.

Actually, Randle could play the 3. He's a little on the small side for a PF, by NBA standards. Also, as a rookie, he could back up Bosh at the 4 for a couple of seasons if he just can't play the 3 spot. It would give him time to learn the NBA (sort of like Kahwi Leonard with the Spurs) before stepping into a bigger role.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephenson is a head case I don't want.

Yes and no. As someone mentioned (I think on another thread), Kobe could keep him in line. Plus, I think some of the stuff with him was a bit overblown (pun intended).

I mean, the guy blew in Lebron's ear. Heck, Dennis Rodman used to grab guys asses all game long.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. As someone mentioned (I think on another thread), Kobe could keep him in line. Plus, I think some of the stuff with him was a bit overblown (pun intended).

I mean, the guy blew in Lebron's ear. Heck, Dennis Rodman used to grab guys asses all game long.

Yea he is not as bad as Rodman, but I still think he is a head case that turns it on and off too many times.