• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2014 Off-Season Thread

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the offer by the Lakers has been made. Anthony has gone back to N.Y. to make his decision and from the looks of things, Phil has made a better pitch. We will know in a week or so.

I say by Tuesday or Wednesday, we will know.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m
As one source in process says of Lakers bid, "They can promise max money without any (roster) moves needing to be made." 4 years, $97M.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 4m
Bill Simmons first reported Lakers made a strong move into Anthony race.

Woj is about as good as it gets. If he's reporting it, it's probably accurate. Obviously, this doesn't mean that he will be coming to the Lakers, but it looks like they might have better shot than many want to believe.

Plus, I'm sure Kobe will be bugging the crap out of him until he decides.:lol:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offer has been placed TJF12. Anthony has gone back to N.Y. to make his decision. Phil offered a better deal and along with Anthony's wife and perhaps Pau's decision, the chances of Anthony coming to the Lakers is dwindling.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the offer by the Lakers has been made. Anthony has gone back to N.Y. to make his decision and from the looks of things, Phil has made a better pitch. We will know in a week or so.

Really, the only thing Phil can offer is an additional year and the fact that he's Phil. The Lakers can offer him the max, plus the opportunity to play alongside Kobe and possibly Pau.

The Lakers also have Phil's "better half". I mean seriously, I love Phil, but who would you rather look at everyday, Phil or Jeanie?:lol:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woj is about as good as it gets. If he's reporting it, it's probably accurate. Obviously, this doesn't mean that he will be coming to the Lakers, but it looks like they might have better shot than many want to believe.

Plus, I'm sure Kobe will be bugging the crap out of him until he decides.:lol:

I have stated from Day One, I think he stays in NY, but I agree. Woj is the best in the business imo.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offer has been placed TJF12. Anthony has gone back to N.Y. to make his decision. Phil offered a better deal and along with Anthony's wife and perhaps Pau's decision, the chances of Anthony coming to the Lakers is dwindling.

Melo met with Phil and liked the pitch, but these things can change minute to minute really.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, the only thing Phil can offer is an additional year and the fact that he's Phil. The Lakers can offer him the max, plus the opportunity to play alongside Kobe and possibly Pau.

The Lakers also have Phil's "better half". I mean seriously, I love Phil, but who would you rather look at everyday, Phil or Jeanie?:lol:

The Knicks can offer 5 years and 129 million (25.8 million per season), it works out to an additional year and a few more million per year on the contract.

The Lakers offered 4 years and 95 million (23.8 million per year).

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not going to come down to who Anthony has to look at TJF12. I think the one intangible that people forget is Anthony's wife does not want to move. She has already stated she wants him to re-sign with N.Y. I think she sways the decision and if Gasol joins him, that could be the deal. Next week we will know.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have stated from Day One, I think he stays in NY, but I agree. Woj is the best in the business imo.

I agree. I think he stays in NY as well. I just think that if Woj is saying they made a strong move, then it can be trusted that they did. It may mean that his choice is narrowed to the Lakers and the Knicks.

Doesn't mean they get him, just that the chances are better than many believe.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo met with Phil and liked the pitch, but these things can change minute to minute really.

Exactly. I'm sure he liked every pitch he's heard so far to one degree or another.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not going to come down to who Anthony has to look at TJF12. I think the one intangible that people forget is Anthony's wife does not want to move. She has already stated she wants him to re-sign with N.Y. I think she sways the decision and if Gasol joins him, that could be the deal. Next week we will know.

I agree and I was just kidding about who'd he rather look at. One thing I can say re: Lala is that she said she wanted to stay in NY early on, before any teams made their pitches.

She was "discovered" in L.A., so she may have some positive memories. Also, if Time Warner truly offered giving her her own show, that may carry some weight as well.

Certainly not going to hold my breath, but I don't think 'Melo has truly decided on anything yet either, but will likely stay in NY.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, Melo already has a house in LA. Plus, he can play here and still have his family live in NY if they are that hellbent about it. Plenty of NBA players play in one city and their family lives in another. Heck, a good chunk actually live in LA.

The news is encouraging though. It leads me to believe it isn't all about money as most initially reported. From Simmons and Woj's tweets, it sounds like he's more concerned with a combo of money and win now. And that's why LA has jumped into contention. So it's basically going to come down to if Melo is patient enough to wait one more year in NY when they'll have a lot more cap room to make serious roster upgrades. If he is, he'll probably go back to NY. If he's not, he'll likely come to LA.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is a win-now scenario going to emerge in either place Turkey? What do we have that is going to get that accomplished and the same about New York? I have seen the speculated rosters in both places and neither is going to get that accomplished anytime soon. He'd be better to sign with Miami if that is the determining factor.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is a win-now scenario going to emerge in either place Turkey? What do we have that is going to get that accomplished and the same about New York? I have seen the speculated rosters in both places and neither is going to get that accomplished anytime soon. He'd be better to sign with Miami if that is the determining factor.
Melo,Kobe,Randle,Pau, and a bargain PG could contend pending on if we can get our guys back to fill out the bench. Also, if Melo takes less and we trade Nash...don't rule out Lebron....BUT with that being said, I still think that it's too much of a longshot that we land either. Things have gotten a little more interesting however...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Basically what Kold said above. That roster, while certainly not favored, is enough to be in contention in the West. And if you're in contention in the West, it's within a realm of possibility you have a shot at the Finals. The margin between the best team and the 8th best team isn't that much. Dallas was just a bounce or two away from eliminating SA in the 1st round. Memphis was maybe a Z-bo suspension away from eliminating OKC as well. Point is, if you put yourself in contention in the West, with the right breaks, any team in the West could make it to the Finals.

But in the East? It's Miami and maybe Chicago. If he goes back to NY without Pau, that roster is maybe 6th best and they aren't beating the better teams (maybe not Toronto or Wash either). Heck, they may even miss the playoffs if Fisher is a total disaster and can't teach the triangle (not an unreasonable possibility). And say Pau does go to NY with him, they'd be better but still likely a year away from beating Miami and a healthy Chicago. The plus side for NY here is if Melo is patient like I said, in 2015 they can add more talent and the East gets a lot more manageable.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is money, and the Knicks have the most to offer. Melo is not going to walk away from 30+ million and join a team with little chance of winning the NBA Championship any time soon.

The Lakers need to rebuild through the Draft, intelligent trades and lower key FA signings.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Silas. Turkey you are assuming everything works out as planned if and when Pau re-signs and Anthony signs and the roster is good enough to enter into the realm of possibilities as you put it. I believe that to be wishful thinking that rivals the same thought process that occurred when we added Nash and Howard. It could happen, but the chances and history indicate that it probably won't.

Like I stated earlier, both teams are several years away from any such happenings and I would rather the Lakers jettison the win-now strategy in favor of a true re-build strategy which historically has a better chance for champsionships down the road.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, this is getting crazy. It's ESPN, Ramona Shelburne and Chris Broussard reporting it, but here goes:

The Lakers have emerged as the "top threat" to the Knicks in getting 'Melo. It is said that he appreciates that they have taken a "low key approach" (no paparazzi, no posters, etc.) and Kobe made a very strong pitch. They also talked to him about the future and building around him, which he liked.

They are also reporting that landing 'Melo and Lebron is also a possibility. Fitting them under the cap will be a challenge, but is doable. It would likely have to involve getting rid of Nash and maybe a sign and trade with Pau.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: