• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2014 Off-Season Thread

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The longer it takes for Love to get traded, the better chance it gives LA to get him. I really doubt he's hitting FA so our only shot is to sign a few good players this summer that we can work into a trade for him at a later date. We've got basically no shot right now barring so miracle play by Mitch. But if Love is still in Minnesota 2 weeks from now (draft over, most free agents signed), we're back in play

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be happy with this:

Lzxgf3D.jpg

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, several sports "news" outlets are indicating the Lakers are attempting to lure Carmelo Anthony and Lebron James to sign FA contracts. If one or both of these sign, the Lakers are definitely going to try to re-sign Pau Gasol who right now is actively talking with Phil in New York to sign with the Knicks.

If all of this goes south, Mitch has contacted Trevor Ariza, Toronto about Kevin Lowry, Detroit about the FA center Monroe, and Phoenix about Chandler Frye. They already signed a couple of non-drafted FA's for the summer league.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, several sports "news" outlets are indicating the Lakers are attempting to lure Carmelo Anthony and Lebron James to sign FA contracts. If one or both of these sign, the Lakers are definitely going to try to re-sign Pau Gasol who right now is actively talking with Phil in New York to sign with the Knicks.

If all of this goes south, Mitch has contacted Trevor Ariza, Toronto about Kevin Lowry, Detroit about the FA center Monroe, and Phoenix about Chandler Frye. They already signed a couple of non-drafted FA's for the summer league.

Lakers will meet with Carmelo on Thursday.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lakers will meet with Carmelo on Thursday.

Yeah, on Access Sportsnet, they were saying that Kobe and 'Melo are friends and that Kobe is actively recruiting 'Melo. It's also been known that the Lakers were going to try and get Lebron too (who isn't:lol:).

Personally, if the Lakers get either, I think it will be 'Melo. I just don't see Lebron leaving Miami unless the Heat and/or Wade/Bosh do something stupid.

I also think that if the Lakers get either one or both, Pau will re-sign with the Lakers. He likes being a Laker, but wants a chance at another ring before he retires.

I wouldn't hate a starting lineup of;

C - Pau
PF - Randle
SF - 'Melo
SG - Kobe
PG - Lowry or Farmar

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, on Access Sportsnet, they were saying that Kobe and 'Melo are friends and that Kobe is actively recruiting 'Melo. It's also been known that the Lakers were going to try and get Lebron too (who isn't:lol:).

Personally, if the Lakers get either, I think it will be 'Melo. I just don't see Lebron leaving Miami unless the Heat and/or Wade/Bosh do something stupid.

I also think that if the Lakers get either one or both, Pau will re-sign with the Lakers. He likes being a Laker, but wants a chance at another ring before he retires.

C - Pau
PF - Randle
SF - 'Melo
SG - Kobe
PG - Lowry or Farmar

Is Lowry possible if we sign Melo or James (let's throw him in there, why not!)? I guess it depends on how much Pau would resign for but my guess is Lowry is gonna command around 10 to 12 mil per season. He's a quality starter/borderline all star (who was completely robbed of the AS last season). The cap is suppose to be 63 mil next season. Kobe is in the 20s, Melo would be around 15 to 18, Nash is on the hook for 10. Add those three in and you're in the mid teens of millions left to fill out the rest of the roster. That's cutting it thin.

I think realistically, our chances are better at getting Lowry, Ariza, Greg Monroe and maybe resign Pau. Monroe is a restricted FA so Detroit could easily match but they may let him walk because the Drummond/Monroe/Smith fit isn't working

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is alot of talk about this combination along with Carmelo Anthony. We shall see.

I think realistically, our chances are better at getting Lowry, Ariza, Greg Monroe and maybe resign Pau. Monroe is a restricted FA so Detroit could easily match but they may let him walk because the Drummond/Monroe/Smith fit isn't working.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Lowry possible if we sign Melo or James (let's throw him in there, why not!)? I guess it depends on how much Pau would resign for but my guess is Lowry is gonna command around 10 to 12 mil per season. He's a quality starter/borderline all star (who was completely robbed of the AS last season). The cap is suppose to be 63 mil next season. Kobe is in the 20s, Melo would be around 15 to 18, Nash is on the hook for 10. Add those three in and you're in the mid teens of millions left to fill out the rest of the roster. That's cutting it thin.

I think realistically, our chances are better at getting Lowry, Ariza, Greg Monroe and maybe resign Pau. Monroe is a restricted FA so Detroit could easily match but they may let him walk because the Drummond/Monroe/Smith fit isn't working

I don't know if Lowry is possible. As you say, it would depend on what he'll sign for. The Lakers can go over the cap to sign their own free agents and/or fill the roster with minimum contracts (like Miami has done) and we know they don't have a problem with the luxury tax if it means being contenders.

I believe that they'd have to sign 'Melo and whoever 1st and then they can sign Pau, etc. Pau has said he'd take less for a chance to win, the question would obviously be...How much less? Would he come back for 10-12 million? I wish Nash would retire, but I certainly can't blame him for not retiring.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C - Pau
PF - Randle
SF - 'Melo
SG - Kobe
PG - Lowry or Farmar

This is who I've been hoping for since we didn't draft a potential starting PG.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the scenario of the combination of Ariza, Monroe, and Lowry is gaining momentum with the possible addition of Chandler Frye and Chandler Parsons now that the contract of the latter was not picked up by Houston as of today. Mitch has a stiffy for Monroe apparently. There is anticipation by the media that the Lakers are going to strike-out with the big FAs. We shall know by the beginning of next week since the end of this week is a holiday.

Here's the link to one story: Lakers to target Kyle Lowry, Greg Monroe, Trevor Ariza, Channing Frye | ProBasketballTalk

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the scenario of the combination of Ariza, Monroe, and Lowry is gaining momentum with the possible addition of Chandler Frye and Chandler Parsons now that the contract of the latter was not picked up by Houston as of today. Mitch has a stiffy for Monroe apparently. There is anticipation by the media that the Lakers are going to strike-out with the big FAs. We shall know by the beginning of next week since the end of this week is a holiday.

Here's the link to one story: Lakers to target Kyle Lowry, Greg Monroe, Trevor Ariza, Channing Frye | ProBasketballTalk

Give me Parsons and Lowry. I would love that.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would target Bledsoe over Lowry. He's younger, cheaper, and still learning the game. Probably more realistic of a signing of they do indeed sign Carmelo.

PG: Bledsoe
SG: Kobe
SF: Carmelo
PF: Randle
C: Gasol

Should score plenty. Defense :noidea:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would target Bledsoe over Lowry. He's younger, cheaper, and still learning the game. Probably more realistic of a signing of they do indeed sign Carmelo.

PG: Bledsoe
SG: Kobe
SF: Carmelo
PF: Randle
C: Gasol

Should score plenty. Defense :noidea:

Should equate to at least average defense (which would be an improvement over last season). Kobe, Gasol and 'Melo are below average to average on ball defenders, but play good to very good team defense. Not sure about Bledsoe or Randle as on ball defenders.

With the scoring that team would have, average defense should be good enough to get at least a solid playoff run, especially if they have a solid bench to back them up (which is where re-signing guys like Swaggy P, Bazemore, etc. would come in).

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said that I don't want just Melo,however, if we can get a really good PG such as Bledsoe or Lowry, getting Melo could work. I just don't want Kobe or Melo having to be the guys that set up the offense(although Kobe can be a pretty good PG when he wants to be). Both Kobe and Melo can play off the ball, and I think it's at the least somewhat possible(because of their friendship) that they can work out who gets the bulk of the shots. If we strike out on both Melo and Lebron...like I've said before, I'm in favor of grabbing Ariza. If we can still grab a really good PG, and Pau, that'd still be a nice starting lineup

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should equate to at least average defense (which would be an improvement over last season). Kobe, Gasol and 'Melo are below average to average on ball defenders, but play good to very good team defense. Not sure about Bledsoe or Randle as on ball defenders.
Bledsoe(and for the matter Lowry) is SOLID on defense, we'd finally get a PG that could keep up with these young PG's.. As for Randle, that's truly a wait and see situation. I have no idea how his defense will translate into the NBA. Kobe is not at that much of a disadvantage as there are not that many really good SG's in the NBA. As for Melo, he's not a defender...but I'd like to see what he could do with a defensive minded coach, while being in a situation where he doesn't have to handle the entire scoring load. As for Pau, he's anything but a rim protector as those guys just muscle him around when they drive to the rim. I think having younger guys defending their positions would help him a little though.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Pau is so soft in the paint, that is why Mitch is going after Monroe. Mitch likes the potential Monroe has and he's a better defender in the paint. Pair Monroe with Jordon Hill and Pau as a PF, we got a pretty good set of bigs.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Afa PG is concerned. I actually really like Jordan Clarkson. He can handle, dish, and get to the rim, and he is a 6'5 PG.

Also, since he's had 4 years of college experience, in 2 different conferences, he should be NBA ready. With: Clarkson, Farmar, Kobe, and Swaggy P - I think we are set at guard.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said that I don't want just Melo,however, if we can get a really good PG such as Bledsoe or Lowry, getting Melo could work. I just don't want Kobe or Melo having to be the guys that set up the offense(although Kobe can be a pretty good PG when he wants to be). Both Kobe and Melo can play off the ball, and I think it's at the least somewhat possible(because of their friendship) that they can work out who gets the bulk of the shots. If we strike out on both Melo and Lebron...like I've said before, I'm in favor of grabbing Ariza. If we can still grab a really good PG, and Pau, that'd still be a nice starting lineup

I've always said that I wouldn't want Melo if he's looking for the max that the Lakers could give him. However, if he can come in starting at a discount (certainly less than $20mil per season), I'm game. Ariza may have priced himself out of the Lakers budget based on last season's results.