• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2014 Off-Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'm not a D'Antoni fan, I have to agree with you that if the Lakers do decide to fire D'Antoni that they need to have a replacement in mind or at hand. So, the first thing the Lakers need to do is decide who is going to coach going forward. FA's, trades, re-signings then make sense.

If the Lakers keep the current coaching staff, I hope someone in the FO encourages D'Antoni to stress Defense a hell of a lot more than what we saw. I get the fact that a host of guys were hurt a lot this season, but the emphasis still needs to be on playing more Defense. This team has, or should have, guys who can score, but you can't give up 105 plus points a game and expect to compete for an NBA title.

:agree: and don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that firing D'Antoni isn't ultimately the right move. I'm saying that if it is decided that it's the right move, then do it the right way and for the right reasons. Make sure you have someone that you feel is better lined up and ready to go, don't pretend he was given a fair shot and don't fire him just to be able to tell fans that "you did something".

Did anyone else see where Short Buss said that if the Lakers aren't back in contention in 3-4 years, he will step down? Sounds like a win/win to me.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, it is all over the sports websites. I guess he is setting himself up. This smacks of typical short buss and he eventually will do something even more stupid to screw even this up.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, it is all over the sports websites. I guess he is setting himself up. This smacks of typical short buss and he eventually will do something even more stupid to screw even this up.

We'll see. From what I read, he was pretty specific and said it to all of his siblings/owners. It, at least temporarily, gives me a little more respect for him.

He has said all along that there is a plan in place. Hopefully, this statement means that there really is a plan in place and he is confident that it will work.

Either way, it's a win/win. Either the Lakers are back in contention in 3-4 years or he steps down and we get basketball people running things.

How long is Phil's contract with the Knicks?:lol:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the terms of Phil's deal were released. His second transaction happened this morning. Phil fired Mike Woodsen and the coaching staff. Steve Kerr is the expected replacement. The signing of Lamar Odom was of course his first official transaction.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. From what I read, he was pretty specific and said it to all of his siblings/owners. It, at least temporarily, gives me a little more respect for him.

He has said all along that there is a plan in place. Hopefully, this statement means that there really is a plan in place and he is confident that it will work.

Either way, it's a win/win. Either the Lakers are back in contention in 3-4 years or he steps down and we get basketball people running things.

How long is Phil's contract with the Knicks?:lol:
Poor Kobe, He does not have 3-4 years. If they don't turn it around after next season. Short Bus should step down.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Kobe, He does not have 3-4 years. If they don't turn it around after next season. Short Bus should step down.

Yeah, I agree. I think the Lakers intend to try to get a contending team around him before he retires, but realize it's going to be tough.

Here is an interesting question:

What if Kobe comes back, plays well, the Lakers are not quite contenders, but headed in the right direction at the end of Kobe's current deal and Kobe decides he wants to play another season or 2?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
short buss's weird infatuation with his sister has cost us:

1) Phil as a coach;
2) Dwight Howard;
3) Phil as a front office person;
4) Steve Kerr as a coach option;
5) Possibly Pau Gasol

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree. I think the Lakers intend to try to get a contending team around him before he retires, but realize it's going to be tough.

Here is an interesting question:

What if Kobe comes back, plays well, the Lakers are not quite contenders, but headed in the right direction at the end of Kobe's current deal and Kobe decides he wants to play another season or 2?

That would be an extremely tough decision for the franchise. Wow!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this discussion about Kobe will be mute if he takes off for New York along with his buddy Pau.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this discussion about Kobe will be mute if he takes off for New York along with his buddy Pau.

He's not going anywhere. He's under contract.

And on top of that, even Phil isn't dumb enough to offer him $25m a year when he's in his late 30s

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Don'tknowi just lost his brother to another job. Dan Don'tknowi was an assistant for the Lakers this past year who took an HC job offered by Marshall who hired him for next year. Is this an indication of things to come? We shall see.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are two stories reported by NBC Sports indicating Kevin Love has informed his people to let Minnesota know that if he is not traded by the trade deadline of this upcoming season, he will leave in 2015 by FA.

He has two destinations in mind. The Lakers are his first choice and he has not ruled out the Knicks as his second choice. In a separate story by the same outlet, Mitch has let it eek out that he interested in acquiring additional first round picks. All of this depends on Tuesday's placement of the Lakers in the lottery.

So, potentially these developments could result in landing KLove sooner than everyone anticipated or additional draft picks as explained by Mitch and some serious young talent in a deep draft. Tuesday will get the ball rolling so to speak and then we shall see where we stand for roster moves to come. I suspect that once we know our placement in the lottery, a coach may be signed. The identity has yet to be revealed.

Here we go gents!!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mitch swings trades to get additional 1st round picks, give that man a 10 million dollar raise. I don't see how he has the pieces to even pull that off. Not saying its impossible, but he's got his work cut out for him.

The Love bit is nice to see. Everyone knows he was leaving but its good that he's basically confirming the long held belief that LA is his #1 choice. Now its just a matter of figuring a way to get him here.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are two stories reported by NBC Sports indicating Kevin Love has informed his people to let Minnesota know that if he is not traded by the trade deadline of this upcoming season, he will leave in 2015 by FA.

He has two destinations in mind. The Lakers are his first choice and he has not ruled out the Knicks as his second choice. In a separate story by the same outlet, Mitch has let it eek out that he interested in acquiring additional first round picks. All of this depends on Tuesday's placement of the Lakers in the lottery.

So, potentially these developments could result in landing KLove sooner than everyone anticipated or additional draft picks as explained by Mitch and some serious young talent in a deep draft. Tuesday will get the ball rolling so to speak and then we shall see where we stand for roster moves to come. I suspect that once we know our placement in the lottery, a coach may be signed. The identity has yet to be revealed.

Here we go gents!!

Don't like it at all. Not one bit. Why should we give anything up right now for Love, when we can get him for free in 1 year? I know its no sure thing - but it's no sure thing he would re-sign after 1 year either. Be patient.

Why would we give up the biggest pick in franchise history to acquire lower picks? If we land 8th, ok then maybe. If somehow we can get: Exum, Wiggins, Parker, or Embiid - Jump.

Things are really in our favor right now. We have a good chance to land one of those players, and get Love next year.

Exum
Kobe
Love
Gasol

Nothing wrong with that. Be patient Mitch.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well kevin love will be open to trade im sure if you package your pick for him and sign kyle lowry from free agency I think that would make a pretty good team

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of scenarios Seattlefan and Hizzle that could develop. We will know more after Tuesday.