• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyrie Requests Trade from Cavs.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Portland has needed a 3 or 4 man for about 4-5 years and they haven't made one move toward getting a legit 3 or 4 man in that time. They continue to let Lillard and CJ sit there in their prime as they wait for I don't know what to happen.

Swanigan looks promising.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF this is indeed all true then I agree you should trade him now. Otherwise you have drama and tension all year long and the sports media will always point to this disfunction with each loss.

Of course there is a chance that this is nothing more then attention grabber from LeBron, Kyrie and the Cavs to get the attention on them for the off season. After all this is ESPN reporting these "sources" and "rumors" and in the past ESPN has come away with egg on their face for trying to break news. Even though Woj is now with ESPN I haven't seen him confirm any of this.

I'd say that there's a very strong chance that this is true. I say that for 2 reasons:

1.) If the Cavs want attention, they'd want positive attention. Something that would give their fans hope going into the season that they have a chance at being something more than runners up to the Warriors. The Butler trade that was apparently about to go through until they parted ways with Griffin would have done just that.

2.) This makes the Cavs organization look like a rudderless ship. It makes the Lakers "Short Buss years" look like a smooth running machine by comparison. Because of that, I would think that if it wasn't true, there would be denials issued by now. Heck, even if true, I would think there would be denials just because it makes the organization look bad.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say that there's a very strong chance that this is true. I say that for 2 reasons:

1.) If the Cavs want attention, they'd want positive attention. Something that would give their fans hope going into the season that they have a chance at being something more than runners up to the Warriors. The Butler trade that was apparently about to go through until they parted ways with Griffin would have done just that.

2.) This makes the Cavs organization look like a rudderless ship. It makes the Lakers "Short Buss years" look like a smooth running machine by comparison. Because of that, I would think that if it wasn't true, there would be denials issued by now. Heck, even if true, I would think there would be denials just because it makes the organization look bad.
Any publicity is good publicity.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF this is indeed all true then I agree you should trade him now. Otherwise you have drama and tension all year long and the sports media will always point to this disfunction with each loss.

Of course there is a chance that this is nothing more then attention grabber from LeBron, Kyrie and the Cavs to get the attention on them for the off season. After all this is ESPN reporting these "sources" and "rumors" and in the past ESPN has come away with egg on their face for trying to break news. Even though Woj is now with ESPN I haven't seen him confirm any of this.

Woj has confirmed it.

And this is not a great way to get your team a spotlight. Your two top players not in sync with one another, and the second option not wanting to play with the primary option is just bad.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2.) This makes the Cavs organization look like a rudderless ship. [B said:
It makes the Lakers "Short Buss years" look like a smooth running machine by comparison. [/B]Because of that, I would think that if it wasn't true, there would be denials issued by now. Heck, even if true, I would think there would be denials just because it makes the organization look bad.

I am not to sure about that one, I have to think it over for the rest of the day. :scratch:

Short Buss was a disaster, I am just glad his gone to Oblivion.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who could have ever imagined?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Kyrie and will wish him the best luck even though I dont agree with his decision, but maybe this is a blessing in disguise if they can get the right trade. A chance to improve their defense and get a handful of players and maybe two AS's. There is really nothing that can replace Kyrie's offense though. I think if he was happy and he stayed this team has improved this year, not much but they went out and got DRose for a backup essentially and Jeff Green, maybe Eddy Tavares will workout too.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe two AS's.

Don't see how you're getting 2 all stars for Kyrie unless it's a couple of promising young guys that develop into all stars. The Cavs aren't dealing from a position of strength despite having him locked up for 2 more years.

If his issue truly is that he wants to be be the lead dog, I sit him down and say "Look, Lebron is gone after this season. Stick it out 1 more year and we'll do everything we can to put a contending roster around you, just like we did for Lebron. If, for some reason we can't, then we'll trade you."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not to sure about that one, I have to think it over for the rest of the day. :scratch:

Short Buss was a disaster, I am just glad his gone to Oblivion.

Definitely a close call. I say that the Short Buss era was slightly less disastrous because they at least brought in some good young talent. Remember, out of all of the young guys we're excited about, only Lonzo was drafted by Magic/Pelinka.

At this point in Cleveland, you just have a raging dumpster fire and the 2 best players on the team don't seem to like each other and really have no way to fix it or improve the team.

Last edited:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't see how you're getting 2 all stars for Kyrie unless it's a couple of promising young guys that develop into all stars. The Cavs aren't dealing from a position of strength despite having him locked up for 2 more years.

If his issue truly is that he wants to be be the lead dog, I sit him down and say "Look, Lebron is gone after this season. Stick it out 1 more year and we'll do everything we can to put a contending roster around you, just like we did for Lebron. If, for some reason we can't, then we'll trade you."

The only problem with that is I just dont think it works out, the chemistry would just not be there IMO. They have to trade him now or at least mid-season. If only he would havr said something earlier that would have helped the Cavs A LOT. They could probably have CP3 or PG right now.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem with that is I just dont think it works out, the chemistry would just not be there IMO. They have to trade him now or at least mid-season. If only he would havr said something earlier that would have helped the Cavs A LOT. They could probably have CP3 or PG right now.

It would definitely be uncomfortable. But I'd wager that Lebron and Kyrie could at least work things out enough to make it work for 1 more season. If they stay healthy, the Cavs should be able to make at least the ECF just on pure talent.

The Cavs biggest problem, imo, is Dan Gilbert. I mean, how the hell do you let Griffin go just as he's about to get you Jimmy Butler? Plus, as the owner, he should be calling a meeting with Kyrie and Lebron and telling them "Lebron, you've already said you're not waiving your NTC and Kyrie, we're not trading you just yet. So you both need to figure out a way to make this work 1 more year."

Under normal circumstances, I tend to believe in the "If a guy wants out, you get rid of him asap" theory. But I think that given Kyrie's reasoning for wanting out, he might be able to be appeased enough to spend 1 more season in Lebron's shadow.

On the other hand, maybe Lebron's shadow has more to do with why he wants out?

It's the old "the guy who comes after the guy" scenario. As great as Kyrie is, he's never going to live up to Lebron's legacy in Cleveland, so maybe he doesn't want to even try. No matter how good he is, or how much he accomplishes, Cavs fans are never going to revere him the way they do Lebron.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie was going to leave before he signed this current contract. Management got with him and told him what he wanted to hear (we'll build the team around you, etc). Then Lebron decides to come back and pushes the Kyrie plan out the back door essentially. Kyrie never wanted to be support for Lebron and he certainly doesn't want to be held hostage while everyone waits for Lebron to decide what he's doing next. Add in the Griffin poison and this comes to a head quite quickly, especially after they dangled Kyrie in trade talks earlier this summer.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie seems like a pretty selfish player more interested in glory than championships.

Caveat Emptor for any team looking to get him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie seems like a pretty selfish player more interested in glory than championships.

Caveat Emptor for any team looking to get him.

It definitely looks that way.

However, looking at it from Kyrie's point of view.

As @shopson67 points out, Kyrie signed the extension based on the Cavs building around him. Then, 11 days later, Lebron decides he wants to go back to Cleveland and the Kyrie plan gets scrapped (as it should) and now it's Lebron's team and he has to play 2nd fiddle.

He got his ring and is looking at another team out there that he knows the Cavs can't beat. Considering that he apparently needs to be all NBA or something to qualify for a supermax, playing alongside Lebron could literally be costing him millions of dollars.

Maybe he figures if he can't win a championship for at least 2 more years, he'll set him self up to get paid instead?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It definitely looks that way.

However, looking at it from Kyrie's point of view.

As @shopson67 points out, Kyrie signed the extension based on the Cavs building around him. Then, 11 days later, Lebron decides he wants to go back to Cleveland and the Kyrie plan gets scrapped (as it should) and now it's Lebron's team and he has to play 2nd fiddle.

He got his ring and is looking at another team out there that he knows the Cavs can't beat. Considering that he apparently needs to be all NBA or something to qualify for a supermax, playing alongside Lebron could literally be costing him millions of dollars.

Maybe he figures if he can't win a championship for at least 2 more years, he'll set him self up to get paid instead?

Given his list of teams he is willing to play for it doesn't seem like competitiveness is all that important to Kyrie.

I don't have a problem with a player wanting to maximize his earnings but I don't see how moving to the Knicks makes that more likely. Playing for the Knicks or Heat gives him more publicity but I don't think that means he will have a better shot at All-NBA. It's pretty hard to get All-NBA on a non-playoff team.

ESPN had a pretty scathing article about Kyrie's ability to be the guy.

Is Kyrie following Kobe's lead, and is that a good thing?