• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Cousins will not sign a long-term deal prior to the March 1 deadline

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So.. three years is the clause window.

I think it varies and other factors must be considered as well. KC did himself no favors I'm sure with Redskins brass by going 2-4 over the last 6 weeks of 2015. At one point the Skins were 6-3-1 and looked to be a damn good bet to make the playoffs. But ended up 8-7-1 and on the outside looking in far as the playoffs. Being 2-13 aganist teams with a winning record isn't helping much either I suspect.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it varies and other factors must be considered as well. KC did himself no favors I'm sure with Redskins brass by going 2-4 over the last 6 weeks of 2015. At one point the Skins were 6-3-1 and looked to be a damn good bet to make the playoffs. But ended up 8-7-1 and on the outside looking in far as the playoffs. Being 2-13 aganist teams with a winning record isn't helping much either I suspect.

Who are you referring to when you mention "Redskins brass"? Allen is already on record as wanting to extend Cousins & he is basically the mouthpiece for Snyder. Gruden has also basically stated the same thing. The only one who might object is SM. It appears he might get outvoted in this case & let's say that he does get his way & somehow gets rid of Cousins. Well - if things don't turn out well he better be prepared to find a job in the near future.

I don't think that Cousins cost himself any money w/ his late season results. It all comes down to whether it will be the Redskins or someone else who gives him the big contract. If the Redskins are stupid enough to not extend him then oh well get ready from a few more years of subpar QB play.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are you referring to when you mention "Redskins brass"? Allen is already on record as wanting to extend Cousins & he is basically the mouthpiece for Snyder. Gruden has also basically stated the same thing. The only one who might object is SM. It appears he might get outvoted in this case & let's say that he does get his way & somehow gets rid of Cousins. Well - if things don't turn out well he better be prepared to find a job in the near future.

Snyder, Allen and Scotty Mac = Redskins brass. I think Gruden is closer to employee than management.

First off....I'm not claiming to know how anything works at Redskins Park. I might be completely off-base here, but imo.........if Allen and by extension Snyder were as on-board with KC as you think they are. I think he would already be under contract to the Skins.

I don't think that Cousins cost himself any money w/ his late season results. It all comes down to whether it will be the Redskins or someone else who gives him the big contract. If the Redskins are stupid enough to not extend him then oh well get ready from a few more years of subpar QB play.

When I say Cuz cost himself with the late season swoon. I meant that to apply specifically and only to the Redskins. Again, I could be wrong, but I believe if the Skins had ended up 10-5-1, 11-5, 10-6 or even 9-6-1 and made the playoffs. I think its very possible Cuz would be under contract to the Skins right now. If the Skins made the playoffs and had managed to win a playoff game. I definitely believe he'd be under contract now.

Or the other hand. Maybe you're right. Maybe Allen and by extension Snyder do want Cuz to be a Redskin. Maybe its Cuz himself who is stalling contract negotiations from moving froward by sitting on some crazy monetary number. Because he wants to move on from the franchise. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snyder, Allen and Scotty Mac = Redskins brass. I think Gruden is closer to employee than management.

First off....I'm not claiming to know how anything works at Redskins Park. I might be completely off-base here, but imo.........if Allen and by extension Snyder were as on-board with KC as you think they are. I think he would already be under contract to the Skins.

When I say Cuz cost himself with the late season swoon. I meant that to apply specifically and only to the Redskins. Again, I could be wrong, but I believe if the Skins had ended up 10-5-1, 11-5, 10-6 or even 9-6-1 and made the playoffs. I think its very possible Cuz would be under contract to the Skins right now. If the Skins made the playoffs and had managed to win a playoff game. I definitely believe he'd be under contract now.

Or the other hand. Maybe you're right. Maybe Allen and by extension Snyder do want Cuz to be a Redskin. Maybe its Cuz himself who is stalling contract negotiations from moving froward by sitting on some crazy monetary number. Because he wants to move on from the franchise. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Yep & I could be wrong. I just think that people are jumping the gun. We need to wait a while to truly know. Sure - Snyder could be lusting after the next big toy. However - he also knows that retaining Cousins will likely keep the fans interest for a while & that should translate into revenue as well as more wins next season (meaning more $$).

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a deal had Cousins done better in big games, if anything it would have increased their demands. No I think this is playing out exactly as Kirk and his agent had planned all along

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a deal had Cousins done better in big games, if anything it would have increased their demands. No I think this is playing out exactly as Kirk and his agent had planned all along
you are 100% right

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perhaps. I think it stands to reason though that it would've also made whoever it is in the brass that's against signing Cuz long term. More amenable to getting a deal done.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really couldn't blame the Redskins for wanting to see more, going into the season he had had only 1/2 of a great season. But I figured another look would cost more money, never figured it would cost them their QB and with it any hope for the immediate future. As I said I don't think Kirk had any intention of signing a deal, they wanted the tag again.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys crack me up, 15th all time single season in passing yards and he had half a good season.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys crack me up, 15th all time single season in passing yards and he had half a good season.

Didnt you get the memo. Its perfectly OK to dissect Kirk's play down to every single snap and hold up the bad snaps as proof that he isnt worth what he is likely to get.

Note... This rule only applies to Kirk Cousins.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt you get the memo. Its perfectly OK to dissect Kirk's play down to every single snap and hold up the bad snaps as proof that he isnt worth what he is likely to get.

Note... This rule only applies to Kirk Cousins.

I am not sure what the front office is doing but I have no clue what will happen if Cousins gets traded. Somebody is going to look stupid when this is done...either Cousins or the front office.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports Kirk Cousins will not sign a long-term deal prior to the March 1 deadline for the Redskins to apply the franchise tag.

With a third tag not a functional option, Cousins has all the leverage in the negotiations over a long-term deal, and it looks like he is going to use it. Once the Redskins apply the tag, which they almost certainly will, Cousins can ask for at the very least the value of the tag ($23.94 million) paid out in 2017 and a raise on that total guaranteed in 2018. If Washington balks at that price, Cousins can play out another one-year tender and test the open market next spring, which reports suggest is his preferred option anyway. It is far from a given the Redskins lock up Cousins to a long-term deal.

Source: Pro Football Talk
Feb 20 - 10:17 PM
This is a smart business decision.