• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Cousins will not sign a long-term deal prior to the March 1 deadline

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports Kirk Cousins will not sign a long-term deal prior to the March 1 deadline for the Redskins to apply the franchise tag.

With a third tag not a functional option, Cousins has all the leverage in the negotiations over a long-term deal, and it looks like he is going to use it. Once the Redskins apply the tag, which they almost certainly will, Cousins can ask for at the very least the value of the tag ($23.94 million) paid out in 2017 and a raise on that total guaranteed in 2018. If Washington balks at that price, Cousins can play out another one-year tender and test the open market next spring, which reports suggest is his preferred option anyway. It is far from a given the Redskins lock up Cousins to a long-term deal.

Source: Pro Football Talk
Feb 20 - 10:17 PM

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players who know they are likely to sign a long term deal with their current team, want the tag applied. It serves as the starting point for guaranteed money in negotiations. For Cousins, the starting point on guaranteed money, true guaranteed money, would be $58 mil, the total for having the tag applied a second & third time.

Last edited:

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im sick of cousins give sudfield a chance hay hay ho ho kirk cousins has to go

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't blame him for playing the game correctly, at the same time I can't blame the team for waiting another year just to be sure. So here we are. Sure sucks to be a Redskins fan.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC and his agent have played this masterfully. The redskins put themselves in this situation. The only risk KC has is injury. IF he plays under the tag again this year and gets injured, he has really screwed himself. I guess the other risk is that he could begin to alienate the fan base by appearing too greedy.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless it's a career ender I'm not so sure an injury will prevent a crazy bidding war next offseason. I think a poor season with a lot of critical mistakes will be far more damaging but even then the Redskins are screwed.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless it's a career ender I'm not so sure an injury will prevent a crazy bidding war next offseason. I think a poor season with a lot of critical mistakes will be far more damaging but even then the Redskins are screwed.
I don't see a poor season as this offense is a perfect fit for his skill set. Now he may not put up the numbers that he has the last 2 seasons, especially if he loses both DJax and Garcon. But I fully expect his to again be in the top 10 statistically which will once again make him a hot commodity.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a poor season as this offense is a perfect fit for his skill set. Now he may not put up the numbers that he has the last 2 seasons, especially if he loses both DJax and Garcon. But I fully expect his to again be in the top 10 statistically which will once again make him a hot commodity.

I agree that is most likely. I was just spelling out the worst case for Cousins. I mean it's not like he has the track record of Drew Brees, he could always revert.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that is most likely. I was just spelling out the worst case for Cousins. I mean it's not like he has the track record of Drew Brees, he could always revert.

Just out of curiosity mind you. HOw long does a player need to perform at a certain level before he is no longer subject to the "Well he could revert to his old undesirable self at any moment" clause.

Reactions: GNG

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much nothing surprising about this at all & I mentioned this several times in the past. If this occurs then there is still a good chance that a long term deal is worked out after the tag is applied.

I love how that a hole Florio uses this once again to blast the Redskins. That hack will criticize them if Cousins leaves the Redskins but will also give them crap if they retain Cousins by maintaining that they are paying him too much. That idiot also needs to acknowledge the name of the team. It is not "that Washington team" it is the REDSKINS. This guy is such a clown.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't blame him for playing the game correctly, at the same time I can't blame the team for waiting another year just to be sure. So here we are. Sure sucks to be a Redskins fan.

Without knowing any of the numbers WAS has floated to Cousins it's hard to lay blame on either side. I can say if Cousins is trying to max out, I can't blame him, but he could be setting himself up to be on a 9-10, maybe 11 win but not good enough to get to the NFCCG and beyond.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he is going to make what would have been the top half of a long-term contract last season and this season, only the Redskins will have to pay him even more now and not get the easier years on the back end, huh.

Well, I guess this is the opposite strategy of the Eagles, who sign ascending players too early and sometimes get burnt as a result.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity mind you. HOw long does a player need to perform at a certain level before he is no longer subject to the "Well he could revert to his old undesirable self at any moment" clause.

As you know I've seen enough but there is always doubt. I mean he has had what 1 1/2 good/great seasons. To answer your question if he has similar numbers next year then I'll remove the clause.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you know I've seen enough but there is always doubt. I mean he has had what 1 1/2 good/great seasons. To answer your question if he has similar numbers next year then I'll remove the clause.

So.. three years is the clause window.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we knew this LAST YEAR, why is this all of a sudden "news"

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly how i thought it would play out

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, he does has the track record of Brees. In fact better. Compare Brees' first 2 years as a starter to KC. Now KC has a ways to go before he gets to the level of the last 7-10 years Brees, but he is who I always think of when I see the potential in KC.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, he does has the track record of Brees. In fact better. Compare Brees' first 2 years as a starter to KC. Now KC has a ways to go before he gets to the level of the last 7-10 years Brees, but he is who I always think of when I see the potential in KC.

He has the track record of Brees from 10 years ago. Which is fine and I get what you're saying about him having the potential for it but it's really unlikely that happens. As of right now no he doesn't have Brees current track record. (Of course Brees could regress too - any player could and he isn't exactly young anymore).

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I was talking about Brees today. Obviously when NO signed him he was both an injury and a performance risk, more so than Kirk today