• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kasen Williams - Latest UW in trouble

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As reported in the Seattle Times:

Kasen Williams, Washington’s leading receiver in 2012, paid a fine of $695.50 on Monday for a misdemeanor citation related to a May 26 incident in which he was pulled over by Washington State Patrol in Chelan County for suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol or marijuana.

Williams, 20, a junior from Sammamish, took a voluntary breath test at the scene, according to court records. He was ultimately not charged with DUI.

As part of his citation, he was also place on two years’ probation.

So now what does Sark do? Kasen didn't get a full DUI, but still is in trouble for drinking/smoking while driving and ASJ goes to court on the 15th for his case. Can you sit one out of the BSU game without the other? Can you sit down 2/3 of your passing game for the home opener?

Of course those are rhetorical questions. At this point I'd be surprised to see anyone sit out of that game.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As reported in the Seattle Times:

So now what does Sark do? Kasen didn't get a full DUI, but still is in trouble for drinking/smoking while driving and ASJ goes to court on the 15th for his case. Can you sit one out of the BSU game without the other? Can you sit down 2/3 of your passing game for the home opener?

Of course those are rhetorical questions. At this point I'd be surprised to see anyone sit out of that game.

He wasn't charged with a DUI. I can't see him being suspended for any games because of this. Got to wait till ASJ's hearing to figure out what's coming his way.

Either way, I wish these knuckleheads would grow up and understand the responsibility that comes with having that scholarship provided to you.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASJ's coming court date is a preliminary hearing and not likely to settle anything. I doubt we hear about his fate until at least camp starts.

As I said, I don't expect KW to face any game suspensions and at this point I'm not sure ASJ will either. The school has hinted that his missing all of spring was hard for ASJ to be separated from his teammates for so long and it just feels like they are paving the way for that to be his full punishment.

My guess is they have been pushing for a delay in the court case to allow him to complete his community service and whatever treatment/alcohol classes they could get him through in an attempt to reduce the penalty and make it easier for them to let him play vs BSU.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PAC12 network was showing the UW vs. Stanford and OSU games from last year tonight and OSU game just started. Man, the Stanford game was incredible to rewatch. You really got a sense our defense was starting to click with the new coaches that game. Timu was playing out of his mind. The sweet screen pass to Williams for that game winning TD. And that Trufant INT to seal the deal.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't charged with a DUI.

In my eyes that doesnt matter, they both need to be sat down, I dont want this turning it a crap storm, Slick Rick lost control of his players, they were more in the police blotter instead of the sports pages....

Any real fan would understand if Sark sat them for the BSU game, I wouldn't question the timing for the simple fact I want a clean winning program rather then "thug university"...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my eyes that doesnt matter, they both need to be sat down, I dont want this turning it a crap storm, Slick Rick lost control of his players, they were more in the police blotter instead of the sports pages....

Any real fan would understand if Sark sat them for the BSU game, I wouldn't question the timing for the simple fact I want a clean winning program rather then "thug university"...

Problem is sitting them down hurts the team a lot more than it hurts them individually. If you are looking at sending a message and punishing then, they why do something that hurts yourself more than the people in question unless you have to.

First of all, this isn't a one size fits all problem. They both got behind the wheel after doing some amount of alcohol. If you for one moment believe it is the same situation when one took a breath test and passed it and the other was well over the limit and actually crashed their vehicle. KW was charged with a misdemeanor and was fined. If the courts consider this a minor infraction then the team most likely will as well.

Second of all, there are a lot of things the team can do to both that aren't just sitting out the BSU game for both. They could sit out just part of the game or even sit out the game after and be allowed to play in that game. The media is obsessed with what will happen for the BSU game, but the coach has a lot more tools to work with that simply hurting his own team in that game.

Now, I would say ASJ deserves to sit out the BSU game at the very least. He drank and drove at a high rate of speed and crashed his car. KW I'm not convinced did something that rose to that level given he wasn't charged with a DUI despite being under aged. In WA state you can be charged with a DUI at .02 under the age of 21.

Still, does sitting either of them out the Boise State game hurt the team or them more?

History? WSU had a player last year charged with DUI who missed one practice. There are guys all over who have had similar charges during the season and not missed any game time. Having these come up in the off season makes them far less likely to be given that harsh of a penalty. ASJ already missed the entire spring. That is punishment.

If it were up to me I would sit KW out a quarter maybe and probably keep ASJ out of the first game, but I don't think we will see that from Sark and I understand why. This isn't a case of letting your kids get away with things, but again a question of how do you send a message to them without hurting your team? The rest of the players on that field come Aug 31st didn't do anything wrong and yet setting out those two ass holes would hurt them as much as the kids who committed the crimes.

I stand by my prediction and believe neither will miss the entire game for BSU. If ASJ can get the charges reduced after demonstrating his community service and the program he was made to complete then I see the school going lighter on him and not using BSU against him.

If KW deserves to lose a game after his misdemeanor charge then every kid in your program who ever gets a jay walking ticket deserves to as well. He was not charged with drunk driving and that isn't a trivial detail.

BoSelecta

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Android dupe.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoSelecta

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such stupid acts can be quite expensive come the NFL draft. I do not want either to miss our game. Just like our 2007 Oklahoma game when Adrian Peterson was injured. He played but clearly was not close to 100%.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is sitting them down hurts the team a lot more than it hurts them individually. If you are looking at sending a message and punishing then, they why do something that hurts yourself more than the people in question unless you have to.

First of all, this isn't a one size fits all problem. They both got behind the wheel after doing some amount of alcohol. If you for one moment believe it is the same situation when one took a breath test and passed it and the other was well over the limit and actually crashed their vehicle. KW was charged with a misdemeanor and was fined. If the courts consider this a minor infraction then the team most likely will as well.

Second of all, there are a lot of things the team can do to both that aren't just sitting out the BSU game for both. They could sit out just part of the game or even sit out the game after and be allowed to play in that game. The media is obsessed with what will happen for the BSU game, but the coach has a lot more tools to work with that simply hurting his own team in that game.

Now, I would say ASJ deserves to sit out the BSU game at the very least. He drank and drove at a high rate of speed and crashed his car. KW I'm not convinced did something that rose to that level given he wasn't charged with a DUI despite being under aged. In WA state you can be charged with a DUI at .02 under the age of 21.

Still, does sitting either of them out the Boise State game hurt the team or them more?

History? WSU had a player last year charged with DUI who missed one practice. There are guys all over who have had similar charges during the season and not missed any game time. Having these come up in the off season makes them far less likely to be given that harsh of a penalty. ASJ already missed the entire spring. That is punishment.

If it were up to me I would sit KW out a quarter maybe and probably keep ASJ out of the first game, but I don't think we will see that from Sark and I understand why. This isn't a case of letting your kids get away with things, but again a question of how do you send a message to them without hurting your team? The rest of the players on that field come Aug 31st didn't do anything wrong and yet setting out those two ass holes would hurt them as much as the kids who committed the crimes.

I stand by my prediction and believe neither will miss the entire game for BSU. If ASJ can get the charges reduced after demonstrating his community service and the program he was made to complete then I see the school going lighter on him and not using BSU against him.

If KW deserves to lose a game after his misdemeanor charge then every kid in your program who ever gets a jay walking ticket deserves to as well. He was not charged with drunk driving and that isn't a trivial detail.

I like your scenero Wiz, and I'm sure your correct Sark what do anything game wise to either of them. But the part I dont like is, the team suffers for them sitting. It wasn't the team that went out and did this, it was these two individuals, thats where a coaching staff steps up and says, " these two idiots went out and did this to themselves, of course they hurt this team, but with the depth, and talent some younger guys need to step for this game, ( do they have that talent, maybe not, but they can coach up a player or two for one game). I dont care if it happen in the "off season" they represent a university, does that happen to normal students? No but the student athletes, they represent the university, if a coach went out and did this he would be under the spotlight on this.KW gets a misdemeanor, ok, fine are we saying its okay to smoke weed? Now I know college kids do it, but what are your sending as a message?And for ASJ, I would tell him that he's looking at a game suspension, he needs to sweat this big time, sure the legal system will handle it, but I would let this kid sweat out the simple fact he could driven himself right out of the first round/and money in the NFL draft....Wiz your 100% correct on your response, but my problem with this whole thing is they shouldnt "cover up" or "baby" this, schools use to take actions, and stand by there decisions....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 'offseason' offense simply means they have time to come to a decision and time heals all wounds. If you get a kid doing this in season you have far less options for discipline. They could tell them they can play in the BSU game, but sit out the next two. It punishes them by reducing their numbers and really hurts their chances at awards and honors while not hurting the team much. You can't really take those options in season.

With KW I understand they gave him a breath test and he blew under the legal limit and it wasn't even close and they smelled pot in the car, but need I remind you pot is now legal here. Sure, not while driving and I'm sure football players still can't as a banned substance. However there was someone else in the car. He wasn't bright considering the ASJ thing, but it is a different case and doesn't rise to that type of action IMO.

With ASJ it is important that Sark and his staff don't simply punish him because of pressure from fans. They need to decide what their policy is and what mitigating factors they should consider and be ready to stand by it. ASJ was well over the limit and crashed his car, however he is overall a great kid who hasn't otherwise been in trouble (unlike Jeremy Stevens for instance) and has been involved in charity and other community work. These are kids as well as students and athletes. There has to be some way to judge the character as part of the overall incident. Kids who have otherwise also been in trouble and this is just another should face a much stiffer penalty.

If he ends up with a reduced criminal penalty and the courts let him off the hook the team probably has no choice but to do so as well. Honestly if it were up to me I'd sit ASJ out the Illinois game, but let him play vs BSU and there would be no game time loss for KW. I know I said otherwise above, but the more you hear about Kasen's case the more you are left with no real option but to let him play. It just wasn't a big case.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASJs trial was today.

SEATTLE -- Washington tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins pleaded guilty Monday to a charge of driving under the influence stemming from his arrest after crashing his car in March.
Seferian-Jenkins made the guilty plea in Seattle Municipal Court during what was supposed to be a pre-trial hearing on his case. Seferian-Jenkins was sentenced to 364 days in jail with 363 suspended. His one day in jail is expected to be served before Washington begins fall camp on Aug. 5.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and they put him on 5 years probation with a $695 fine which is the lowest allowed under the DUI law. We will see what Sark does (if anything) in addition to his one day in jail.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and they put him on 5 years probation with a $695 fine which is the lowest allowed under the DUI law. We will see what Sark does (if anything) in addition to his one day in jail.

I think you already called it, he wont miss game time, which in my eyes is a bullshit excuse....

BoSelecta

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just let him play. ASJ has paid-in-full for this huge mistake.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per announcement by Sark today. Both ASJ and KW will be allowed to participate in Fall practice.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per announcement by Sark today. Both ASJ and KW will be allowed to participate in Fall practice.

I don't think there was any doubt they would both be allowed full fall camps as not allowing that would hurt more than having them miss game time in the OOC schedule. The more interesting statement was Sark saying they hadn't made a decision yet on game suspensions for either of them? I mean he has had 4 months to make a decision for a season that is just over a month away now. Raise your hand if you believe he really hasn't made those decisions yet.