• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick's contract situation

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Unless I'm mistaken, Kaepernick will be able to negotiate a contract extension after this season. Here are some questions:

Whose contract should be the baseline for negotiations? [ Romo's? B]Stafford's[/B]? Lower?

Do you want the Niners to extend him at all? Do you see him as the future of the franchise?

Would he be worth Flacco money if the Niners go on a run and win it all this year?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Also...

If he & Cutler both sign an extension in the offseason, who should get more money?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK... Flacco had leverage after winning the superbowl however i still feel he didn't deserve all that money but the 5 straight seasons of the playoffs etc... he had leverage.

Kap has no leverage higher than playing well last yr in the playoffs... how much is that worth? idk...

I don't think he should get Romo(nor should romo), Stafford like money since he doesn't produce #s wise as the foremention nor does his current offense system requires him to do so.

Idk I trust Baalke will renew or resign him at a fair price.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's maybe the 20th best QB in the league (might be a little generous), so I would pay him accordingly. I have no idea what that would be, maybe 6 million per? It would also have to be a very team friendly deal that they could easily get out from under if they bring in competition (and they should) and he lost out.

I think this is premature. But if he keeps playing like butt I wouldn't look to extend him at all (unless it was for solid backup money which he obviously would never accept), I would focus all my efforts on bringing in a replacement and let Kap play out his rookie deal. If he Drew Brees' it then hopefully we could trade either he or the replacement for something good.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
at least Baalke doesn't have to go so much on potential? cause by end of this season Kaep would have about a year and half's worth of games, maybe two? Baalke would also have play-off games to base his decision on.

if Kaep's current play keeps up rest of season, I wouldn't make an effort to extend him. if Kaep's agent wants to talk, i'd listen.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember last year having discussions with you guys on the Smith vs Kaep debate and I think we all agreed Kaep had much higher potential. Are you guys of the mindset to just abandon him so soon based on the fact that you have rethought your position on his potential vs winning now or simply that we were wrong in thinking he had a high ceiling to begin with?? Also do you guys think you would be better than 6-4 right now if Alex was still your QB??

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I remember last year having discussions with you guys on the Smith vs Kaep debate and I think we all agreed Kaep had much higher potential. Are you guys of the mindset to just abandon him so soon based on the fact that you have rethought your position on his potential vs winning now or simply that we were wrong in thinking he had a high ceiling to begin with?? Also do you guys think you would be better than 6-4 right now if Alex was still your QB??

it isn't abandoning him, it is the same for all players............perform and get a contract, don't perform and keep playing till you do. if you run out of time to prove it, you're gone.

not giving up on Kaep today, but the question was about extending at the END of this season.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whose contract should be the baseline for negotiations? Stafford's or Matt Schuab Money range.

Do you want the Niners to extend him at all? Yes, alot of ego is in play here and the guy is physically gifted which will get him the contract... as far as the rest of him... If he was in OZ, he'd be the Scarecrow, Tin-man, and Lion all in one person. Brain, Heart, and Courage are lacking.

Do you see him as the future of the franchise? Yes, 9ers have invested too much and Who else is out there?

Would he be worth Flacco money if the Niners go on a run and win it all this year? This is a big IF, but I would say no he isn't worth it, no one is. All that money does is cripple a franchise.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Maiocco said in his chat today that the 49er front office certainly didn't see him as a 20 million per year player anymore.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll put this link here - it says Kaepernick has been the worst passer in the NFL since week 2
Y! SPORTS

And to answer the original questions, no way would I give him Romo, Flacco, or Cutler money. Kaepernick has been horse hit. I have very little confidence in him right now.

I would be comfortable giving him 6-7 million a year. I also would draft another QB relatively high in this upcoming draft.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless I'm mistaken, Kaepernick will be able to negotiate a contract extension after this season. Here are some questions:

Whose contract should be the baseline for negotiations? [ Romo's? B]Stafford's[/B]? Lower?

Do you want the Niners to extend him at all? Do you see him as the future of the franchise?

Would he be worth Flacco money if the Niners go on a run and win it all this year?

if kap doesn't work out, harbaugh will be gone and we'll be rebuilding again. so right now he is the future of the franchise. i highly doubt kap even wants to discuss a contract with the way he's playing.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it isn't abandoning him, it is the same for all players............perform and get a contract, don't perform and keep playing till you do. if you run out of time to prove it, you're gone.

not giving up on Kaep today, but the question was about extending at the END of this season.

True but the guy is still only barely started a years worth of games AND has been to a SB AND its not like you are 2-8 this year. I honestly havent watched much of SF this year ( maybe 3 or 4 games ) and Kaep played well in all but one of those games. Say SF finishes 9-7 this year and misses the playoffs or exits first round. Is that a good enough reason to cut him loose in your opinion? Or is his potential enough to get him another contract??

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this rate he will have to play out his contract and save talks for the future if need be.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if kap doesn't work out, harbaugh will be gone and we'll be rebuilding again. so right now he is the future of the franchise. i highly doubt kap even wants to discuss a contract with the way he's playing.

I don't think Harbaugh is gone if Kaep doesnt work out. Alot of people saw potential in him, he was a second rounder, and he did get us to a superbowl. As for the original question I think he needs to play out his contract and go from there. No matter if we come back and win it all or not, He is not worth flacco or any of the other qbs thrown out here. I think 6-8 mil a year would be okay. Incentive based as well

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I most definitely don't extend Kaep until he earns it. He has been a hot poop sandwich this season and I wouldn't give him a dime more than his rookie contract this off-season.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only good thing about him having not so good year is his money just went down big time.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
At this rate he will have to play out his contract and save talks for the future if need be.

That's my thought, unless he's willing to play for Alex Smith money. I can't see the two sides coming together at this point.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only good thing about him having not so good year is his money just went down big time.

Time for a conspiracy theorist... Anyone available to make the argument? ;)

Just kidding. That's less likely than a hiding things for the playoffs, if any, theory.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also do you guys think you would be better than 6-4 right now if Alex was still your QB??

Maybe, maybe not. Alex's game wasn't based on what we're missing now. He's not a deep ball, speed WR, tight window type of QB. He also had better knowledge of the playbook (assumption granted and the playbook could be changing), was more experienced in pre-snap reads, and this year, he's better at avoiding turnovers (last year Kaepernick was par or better).

Teams had film on Smith and he was still winning and statistically efficient - again, his game doesn't suffer as much from what we're missing (though Crabs and Moss made underneath passes easier). Teams have film in Kaepernick and he's winning less and statistically less efficient than I think Smith would be here with our continuity of system, Gore, and VD). But we've also not run those plays or to Kaepernick's strengths - we don't have the personnel around him for that.

I feel we'd have a 50/50 chance at GB/Carolina with Smith (win one -10 points for Carolina's O? Kaepernick would win a rematch), would've still lost to Seattle, Indy/NO were probable losses (maybe stealing one because Indy is up/down this year). We haven't beaten anyone that I feel Smith would have lost to, other than the iffy statement about Green Bay. Smith would look more efficient than real life Kaepernick has looked this year but people would have compared that to a near perfect Kaepernick last year as the alternative. Upset with our no frills offense. Smith would be playing better than Smith is in KC here, Gore would have more runs and catches, and people would still question out chances as they are this yeast (especially under a belief of Kaepernick's potential).

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, but the 49ers are quickly coming to a point where they are between a rock and a hard place with him. He's gonna want a lot of money soon, sooner than the time needed to fully evealuate him. We could easily have a very good QB or we could get stuck with a lemon if we sign him long term after this season.