• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick's contract situation

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We wouldn't have beaten GB with Smith at the helm, and he would have been sacked a ton by Carolina and NO and Seattle. And let's not forget how he was in the NFC Championship game when he had no receivers to throw to, just like Kaepernick now, what was he like 1 for 19 on third downs? Kaepernick is struggling (although Maiocco said he saw some good things against NO like more progressions, etc.), but Smith would have struggled as well without anyone to throw to.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points all. I was just thinking that Smith may have been more able to run the offense without big weapons than Kaep has been. Although Kaeps legs are still a weapon on their own. Why isnt he running more this year BTW?? Do you guys think the loss of Smith as a backup is kind of hamstringing the plays Harbaugh feels like he can call with Kaep because he doesnt want him to get hurt since he doesnt have as able of a backup?? That would seem to make sense to me.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if kap doesn't work out, harbaugh will be gone and we'll be rebuilding again. so right now he is the future of the franchise. i highly doubt kap even wants to discuss a contract with the way he's playing.

in Harbaugh's case I disagree. Nolan started from scratch so his neck wrung with Alex Smith. Nolan's problem was also compounded because there didn't seem to be improvements in the TEAM?

Harbaugh has done well with Alex Smith and Kaep (last season). even if Kaep doesn't improve an iota, Harbaugh would be given more time with another QB. IMO they'll be looking hard for one next draft, regardless of what Kaep does rest of this season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unless I'm mistaken, Kaepernick will be able to negotiate a contract extension after this season. Here are some questions:

Whose contract should be the baseline for negotiations? [ Romo's? B]Stafford's[/B]? Lower?

Do you want the Niners to extend him at all? Do you see him as the future of the franchise?

Would he be worth Flacco money if the Niners go on a run and win it all this year?

If his season continues as it has I don't think he gets in that discussion. His money was on potential from what we saw last year and he's played himself out of it. Right now he deserves no more than15-20 QB money and that may be giving him too much. All the talk is just that though until our team is back to full health and we see if he looks like last year's QB or this year's.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
in Harbaugh's case I disagree. Nolan started from scratch so his neck wrung with Alex Smith. Nolan's problem was also compounded because there didn't seem to be improvements in the TEAM?

Harbaugh has done well with Alex Smith and Kaep (last season). even if Kaep doesn't improve an iota, Harbaugh would be given more time with another QB. IMO they'll be looking hard for one next draft, regardless of what Kaep does rest of this season.

Absolutely. Even if Kaep is ran out of town and we grab a first round QB I don't think Harbs goes anywhere. He will be with us for a long time.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not many coaches survive after a qb change that doesn't work out.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not many coaches survive after a qb change that doesn't work out.

Not many coaches go to the NFC title game and SuperBowl in their first two years with a team that didn't make the playoffs before they arrived. I see Harbs with a Cower type run here in SF, unless there is a complete collapse (more than missing the playoffs once and more than getting another QB) he is staying put. How many coaches out there can you say you would really want over him at this point? 3-4? Not saying he is perfect, there are some serious issues that he still deals with like the getting calls in and such but he is one of the better coaches in this league.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We wouldn't have beaten GB with Smith at the helm, and he would have been sacked a ton by Carolina and NO and Seattle. And let's not forget how he was in the NFC Championship game when he had no receivers to throw to, just like Kaepernick now, what was he like 1 for 19 on third downs? Kaepernick is struggling (although Maiocco said he saw some good things against NO like more progressions, etc.), but Smith would have struggled as well without anyone to throw to.

Why not? They whipped Green Bay in last year's opener in Green Bay with Smith at the helm.

As for his performance in the NFC Championsip game, he threw two TDs and if it hadn't been for Kyle Williams I bet he would have found a way to win that game I notice you didn't mention his performance against New Orleans in the playoffs.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Kaep really picks up his level of play he will be lucky to get a similar extension to Alex Smith. The NFL is about what you're doing now and not what you did a year ago.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Kaep really picks up his level of play he will be lucky to get a similar extension to Alex Smith. The NFL is about what you're doing now and not what you did a year ago.

Especially with ones who won't admit that they are the problem.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? They whipped Green Bay in last year's opener in Green Bay with Smith at the helm.

As for his performance in the NFC Championsip game, he threw two TDs and if it hadn't been for Kyle Williams I bet he would have found a way to win that game I notice you didn't mention his performance against New Orleans in the playoffs.

That's a good point about NO. But you are comparing the worst of Kaepernick against the best of smith. Let's put it this way, I think the people that said Kaepernick had a higher ceiling and lower floor than smith might be correct. The coaches need to get him back to the ceiling.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I remember last year having discussions with you guys on the Smith vs Kaep debate and I think we all agreed Kaep had much higher potential. Are you guys of the mindset to just abandon him so soon based on the fact that you have rethought your position on his potential vs winning now or simply that we were wrong in thinking he had a high ceiling to begin with?? Also do you guys think you would be better than 6-4 right now if Alex was still your QB??

:L

7u3.jpg

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point about NO. But you are comparing the worst of Kaepernick against the best of smith. Let's put it this way, I think the people that said Kaepernick had a higher ceiling and lower floor than smith might be correct. The coaches need to get him back to the ceiling.

I'm one of those people.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The weird thing is all the guys who could have got big contract extensions at the end of the season have had something major happen to them to make people wonder if they'll ever get it with the Niners. We all know Kap/Aldon's struggles and Crab's injury. Iupati has been up and down this season too and now he's injured. If they're playing for contracts next season they should all have big years.

The Niners should give Aldon an extension after the season. He'll never be cheaper.

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let him play out his contract worst case you guys can franchise tag him and then look to lock him up long term or trade him, I think you should only extend him if S.F. is getting the better end of the deal vs market value which has taken a hit so far this season.

I cannot see him not wanting a huge payday so I think time is on your side ride it out as long as possible and see if he earns one from your franchise. As a Seahawks fan I'd love to see him out of the NFC west he still has crazy upside even if he's been off this year, should his mental approach change he can still be elite.

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's maybe the 20th best QB in the league (might be a little generous), so I would pay him accordingly. I have no idea what that would be, maybe 6 million per? It would also have to be a very team friendly deal that they could easily get out from under if they bring in competition (and they should) and he lost out.

I think this is premature. But if he keeps playing like butt I wouldn't look to extend him at all (unless it was for solid backup money which he obviously would never accept), I would focus all my efforts on bringing in a replacement and let Kap play out his rookie deal. If he Drew Brees' it then hopefully we could trade either he or the replacement for something good.

This right here.

Before this season, I thought he was worth 9 mil/year AT MOST so 6mil/year is very fair. If we're going to take a chance on him though, I'd say at least a 4 year deal and we could also draft a QB to be the Nick Foles against Vick/Kap.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His contract is hard to figure. What has he actually proven? He's been close to horrible since game 1.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way would I give him an extension. Maybe he will go Cam Newton next year but as of now, he's not worthy of an extension. He plays well against mediocre teams but when he plays good defenses, yeah, he freaks out and does nothing productive. At this point I wouldn't do anything but give him more time to develop.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let him play out his contract worst case you guys can franchise tag him and then look to lock him up long term or trade him, I think you should only extend him if S.F. is getting the better end of the deal vs market value which has taken a hit so far this season.

I cannot see him not wanting a huge payday so I think time is on your side ride it out as long as possible and see if he earns one from your franchise. As a Seahawks fan I'd love to see him out of the NFC west he still has crazy upside even if he's been off this year, should his mental approach change he can still be elite.

Saying "worst case, franchise him" might not work either because that's probably at least 15 (17?) million per. That's a lot of cap room to pull out of your butt, especially if the team signs people like Aldon, Crabby, and Potty.

This team has done very well with some not so high quality QB play (looking at you, Alex). Even with one of their worst passing offenses ever (looking at you, Kap), they are 6-4. I want better QB play than what we have generally had the past 3 years but I don't know that we need Aarom Rodgers or Peyton Manning level of QB play to win it all either. If they can keep the D and running game playing at a high level (a big if) then I think a middling starting QB (a Tannehill or Palmer when he was pretty good but not elite or shitty- type) would be more than enough to make us a strong contender year in and year out. That kind of player would probably cost 10-12 million per but their contract shouldn't be cap crippling. If Kap isn't that guy I have faith that Harbaugh could pick and develop that kind of player.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Saying "worst case, franchise him" might not work either because that's probably at least 15 (17?) million per. That's a lot of cap room to pull out of your butt, especially if the team signs people like Aldon, Crabby, and Potty.

This team has done very well with some not so high quality QB play (looking at you, Alex). Even with one of their worst passing offenses ever (looking at you, Kap), they are 6-4. I want better QB play than what we have generally had the past 3 years but I don't know that we need Aarom Rodgers or Peyton Manning level of QB play to win it all either. If they can keep the D and running game playing at a high level (a big if) then I think a middling starting QB (a Tannehill or Palmer when he was pretty good but not elite or shitty- type) would be more than enough to make us a strong contender year in and year out. That kind of player would probably cost 10-12 million per but their contract shouldn't be cap crippling. If Kap isn't that guy I have faith that Harbaugh could pick and develop that kind of player.

yep, big IF? these recent draft picks will need to pan out WELL? cause this current D group won't stay together much longer.

at this point, we know Reid has panned out assuming he doesn't get more concussions? Lemonier looks good so far in the rushing area? we don't know about Dial and Carradine? next draft we'll have to hit on a few more D guys.

this current D has already taken a big drop (from 2011) in run defense. this IMPLIES Justin Smith and Ray McDonald aren't on the upswing? Rogers is likely gone and maybe Whitner too? Willis and Brooks aren't spring chickens if you think next season and beyond.

if this was 2011, your thought might have merit, but today we shouldn't "settle" for a tier 2 QB. we have to look 2-3 years ahead. not "abandoning" Kaep, but they should still look hard in the next draft anyway.