• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick's contract situation

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It just seems so much more passive this year than say 2011. Remember the playoffs, all the brutal hits they put on Brees and that RB Whitner knocked out cold? And they had Manning getting up looking out of his earhole on several occasions in that NFC Championship game. That's the type of nasty defense that intimidates teams and what I like to see.

I agree with that but can that defense survive just a few short years later? Would you be shocked to see a flag simply because the HB was knocked out and each time someone put a hit on Brees? Sadly the days of a dominant and "Nasty" defense are going away in favor of a more vertical game that the league wants. Just like the league will put a team in London and Los Angelas even if it makes no sense whatsoever so to will it continue to screw defenses until it's routine for QB's to put up up insane numbers like baseball's inflated homerun totals.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
imo the issue was things almost came too easy for him last year. even last year he played his best after interceptions. imo this year is humbling him and we'll see a re-focused kap next year.

Part of that bounce back is bringing in another QB that can push him a bit. While it was clear that the job was his after Smith's injury at least there was some semblance of threat that Smith could take that starting job back if he fell short. Who offers that now? McCoy, he's not a starter in this league and never will be. There is no competition which Harbaugh praises for making people better.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of that bounce back is bringing in another QB that can push him a bit. While it was clear that the job was his after Smith's injury at least there was some semblance of threat that Smith could take that starting job back if he fell short. Who offers that now? McCoy, he's not a starter in this league and never will be. There is no competition which Harbaugh praises for making people better.

I do think one can improve with competition because it's hard to manufacture it if going against yourself. However, despite the ads and magazines, I still think Kaepernick is pushing himself. I don't think he's working less hard because we have no one behind him. Still, the more and better we have, the merrier (within cap reason).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm confused. The first sentence of the original post in this thread was talking about extending Kap at the end of this year. So that's why I was focused on the end of this year.

Anyway, I don't think it matters, I doubt they try to extend him in the offseason unless his play dramatically improves.

In a perfect world, the team would want to extend Kap at the end of this year, while he still has one more under contract. However, given his play this season, that has become much more complicated. You put forth a total hypo in which he becomes a FA at the end of this year. That would completely change the analysis from the actual situation, so it doesn't seem particularly beneficial to consider it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm on record as saying too many people have made a big deal out of the receiving corps. There's enough talent there to get more production than we are. Having said that, the receivers have been awful. We got a longer look at Baldwin this past week, and he dropped a somewhat tough but very catchable TD, and then completely failed to locate a ball on third down. Williams' struggles were pretty well documented. And Manningham just isn't playing decisively out there. And that's caused problems when he doesn't come back to the ball aggressively. I still like McDonald's potential, but he's been disappointing in terms of catching contested balls - kind of an important aspect of the game for a TE, especially one that lacks Davis' explosiveness.

The offensive struggles are part of why makes football by far the best professional sport. There are so many moving parts that it can be difficult to resolve problems like this. Is it the talent, the coaching, the playcalling, or something else entirely? It's a great academic question, but incredibly frustrating as hell when your team is suffering through offensive incompetence.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not abandoning Kaep and anxious to replace him here and now, but do feel we'll draft a QB. IF so, good to know this year's class have more decent candidates than last.

Y! SPORTS

lets not force one, but do look harder.