• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick's contract situation

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with that somewhat, with the exception of Smith, because I don't think its about stopping the run anymore in the NFL, its about pressuring and sacking the passer.

Fair, I agree that the pass is more important. But this ignores something crucial: coverage. Bowman and Willis are excellent in coverage and I think allow for a lot more flexibility for our defense because they never have to come off the field. Also, I think Fangio is great but it would be nice if he would let them rush the passer every once in a while because I think both are very good pass rushers as well (at least as far as ILBs) are concerned.

Although both might lose some speed as they get older, which undermines my whole "good for the next five years as long as these guys are playing" argument somewhat.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair, I agree that the pass is more important. But this ignores something crucial: coverage. Bowman and Willis are excellent in coverage and I think allow for a lot more flexibility for our defense because they never have to come off the field. Also, I think Fangio is great but it would be nice if he would let them rush the passer every once in a while because I think both are very good pass rushers as well (at least as far as ILBs) are concerned.

Although both might lose some speed as they get older, which undermines my whole "good for the next five years as long as these guys are playing" argument somewhat.

I gotta give you that. I'd like to see us find some shut down Corners like the Seahawks have as well, or at least guys who have the capability to compete one on one so we have other guys committed to other things like blitzing. It seems like the 49ers are one of the most innefective teams in the league at blitzing.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, it is about the pass nowadays, and it'll trend even more as the QB becomes "untouchable". it isn't about 'athletic' QB's, its still and more so........quality passers.

the NFL won't relax the rules on hitting the QB, but to give defenses some chance to defend, maybe they relax the 5 yard coverage rule? maybe they relax the calls for pass interference?[/QUOTE]

We'd then have to look at getting guys like Sherman and Revis.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine the team will attempt to restructure deals and let a few players walk in their contract years or bring them back for less than they were making a guy like Whitner comes to mind, as well as the CB's on the roster.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If he finishes this year and into the playoffs very strong. I wouldn't mind extending him after this year for 5-8 million range. That way if he tears it up 2014 which could have been his last yr on his contract had we not extended him then he would ask for a lot probably 9-20m range. So I say if he finishes strong do it after this year.

But I wouldn't be opposed to waiting till after next year.

Again all this can change depending on what our season outcome is. The numbers could be higher of course.

That's just not realistic. While we may offer something on the higher side of that, I can't see Kaepernick accepting it. Two years ago, Alex Smith signed an $8 million/year contract. I just don't see Kap taking less money than that. Of starting QBs this year who were no longer on their first contract, the lowest-paid guy was Flynn at $5.5 million. Even some of the better backups make close to $4 million/year. Even if he's struggling now, Kap has a SB on his resume. He's going to want double-digit millions. We may not offer that, but in that case, he doesn't extend this year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The critical difference is that this defense cannot rush the passer. That is an absolute necessity in the 4th quarter.

Aldon is clearly taking some time to re-acclimate after taking over a month off mid-season. But assuming he gets back into the swing of things after a few more weeks, the pass rush should be much-improved by the end of the year. I'm not too terribly worried about it. And the D has been better against the pass this year than they were late last year even with the stagnant pass rush.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just not realistic. While we may offer something on the higher side of that, I can't see Kaepernick accepting it. Two years ago, Alex Smith signed an $8 million/year contract. I just don't see Kap taking less money than that. Of starting QBs this year who were no longer on their first contract, the lowest-paid guy was Flynn at $5.5 million. Even some of the better backups make close to $4 million/year. Even if he's struggling now, Kap has a SB on his resume. He's going to want double-digit millions. We may not offer that, but in that case, he doesn't extend this year.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But, lets say Kap finishes out this season at roughly the same level of play and he was an unrestricted free agent. What do you think his worth would be? All it takes is one retarded Oakland Raiders decision to get him 12 million per I guess but assuming every team was sensible I don't know who would want to sign him to a 10+million per year contract. Some other team would probably do it and good for him, he can go rot in Minnesota or Jacksonville for all I care but realistically he's just not worth whatever he thinks he is worth at this point in time.

Insofar as it's not realistic for Kap to be realistic or for the other 31 teams to be realistic about his value I totally agree. Doesn't mean the 49ers shouldn't be realistic though.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aldon is clearly taking some time to re-acclimate after taking over a month off mid-season. But assuming he gets back into the swing of things after a few more weeks, the pass rush should be much-improved by the end of the year. I'm not too terribly worried about it. And the D has been better against the pass this year than they were late last year even with the stagnant pass rush.

It just seems so much more passive this year than say 2011. Remember the playoffs, all the brutal hits they put on Brees and that RB Whitner knocked out cold? And they had Manning getting up looking out of his earhole on several occasions in that NFC Championship game. That's the type of nasty defense that intimidates teams and what I like to see.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Kaep is the long term answer in SF...he should mature as a QB while the team is a SB contender but coming off such a hot start there was bound to be some hiccups this year.

If he light it up in the playoff extend him this offseason...if he doesn't I wouldn't, let him go into next season and earn it, but there is some risk since he will be unrestricted....$40mil/5yrs/$20 mil G sounds fair right now....probably $60/5/$30g if he has a strong playoff.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It just seems so much more passive this year than say 2011. Remember the playoffs, all the brutal hits they put on Brees and that RB Whitner knocked out cold? And they had Manning getting up looking out of his earhole on several occasions in that NFC Championship game. That's the type of nasty defense that intimidates teams and what I like to see.

That defense is probably my favorite of all the time. They really came into their own at the end of the year and especially in the playoffs. The intensity they played with was awesome. Teams pretty much could not run on us at all that year. I loved when opposing teams would try a hand off because I was confident it would go for 1 or 2 yrds

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't necessarily disagree with you. But, lets say Kap finishes out this season at roughly the same level of play and he was an unrestricted free agent. What do you think his worth would be? All it takes is one retarded Oakland Raiders decision to get him 12 million per I guess but assuming every team was sensible I don't know who would want to sign him to a 10+million per year contract. Some other team would probably do it and good for him, he can go rot in Minnesota or Jacksonville for all I care but realistically he's just not worth whatever he thinks he is worth at this point in time.

Insofar as it's not realistic for Kap to be realistic or for the other 31 teams to be realistic about his value I totally agree. Doesn't mean the 49ers shouldn't be realistic though.

That's not the situation, though. He's got another year under contract to prove himself. He might be willing to extend in the $8-10 million range because his '14 salary is still pretty low, but there's just no way he'd agree to something below $8 million. In that case, I think he'd rather just play out his contract and hopefully cash in the following year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

true a team may extend a lot and sign Kaep away, that's the "keep trying" part of the QB have-nots. we see it recently with Kolb, Flynn, etc..

I wouldn't extend Kaep far trying to guard against another team, this would be a 'bidding war'. our FO will evaluate what he's done, and project a little forward, then come up with a value. they should stick to that value cause should he continue to "stagnate", we just damaged our cap shape bad. he can have all the potential in the world, but if it doesn't come to fruition..............

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That defense is probably my favorite of all the time. They really came into their own at the end of the year and especially in the playoffs. The intensity they played with was awesome. Teams pretty much could not run on us at all that year. I loved when opposing teams would try a hand off because I was confident it would go for 1 or 2 yrds

That's a good word for it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I don't disagree. Justin Smith has slipped a bit since then, and as said, Aldon isn't close to where he was. I think it can improve, though. Brees was looking out of something last weekend, though he was still able to manufacture the late drive. Hate to say it, but the incentive really is for defenders to go for the head and at least get the QB knocked out of the game if they're gonna draw the penalty anyway.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree. Justin Smith has slipped a bit since then, and as said, Aldon isn't close to where he was. I think it can improve, though. Brees was looking out of something last weekend, though he was still able to manufacture the late drive. Hate to say it, but the incentive really is for defenders to go for the head and at least get the QB knocked out of the game if they're gonna draw the penalty anyway.

That new rule really is a shame. They took away the big 4th quarter game changing sack where the QB gets seperated from the ball which was one of the most exciting plays in football. I know the Brooks sack and fumble play on Brees had me up out of my chair until I saw the flag come out.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not the situation, though. He's got another year under contract to prove himself. He might be willing to extend in the $8-10 million range because his '14 salary is still pretty low, but there's just no way he'd agree to something below $8 million. In that case, I think he'd rather just play out his contract and hopefully cash in the following year.

I'm confused. The first sentence of the original post in this thread was talking about extending Kap at the end of this year. So that's why I was focused on the end of this year.

Anyway, I don't think it matters, I doubt they try to extend him in the offseason unless his play dramatically improves.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's the next question:

Does Kaepernick strike you as the kind of guy who's going to work his as off even after he gets paid? He's been getting ad' money, and I don't think that's exactly been a positive influence on him as a QB.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does Kaepernick strike you as the kind of guy who's going to work his as off even after he gets paid? He's been getting ad' money, and I don't think that's exactly been a positive influence on him as a QB.

If its only money that drives you, you won't go far as a professional athlete.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

imo the issue was things almost came too easy for him last year. even last year he played his best after interceptions. imo this year is humbling him and we'll see a re-focused kap next year.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo the issue was things almost came too easy for him last year. even last year he played his best after interceptions. imo this year is humbling him and we'll see a re-focused kap next year.

I hope you're right, but I can't help being really skeptical of him at this point.

He's not exactly "swaggin" right now. Did I use that term correctly? Eh, I guess I'm not with it anymore.