• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick signs extension

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read an article breaking down his contract to the little details and actually am impressed by the deal for the 49ers. Kaep is taking a huge chance on himself which is fine but he has made it to where he has to perform at a very high level to even get close to making top dollar from this contract. From what I have read his deal is money wise around that of Romo, Cutler, and Flacco but with a big chunk of it more wrapped up in actual playing ability and time on the field compared to just actual guarantees like that of the other 3. The fact that 2 of those 3 have been injured quite a bit yet Kaep is the guy having to sign a contract forcing him to have to play to get paid is very smart by the 49ers.

Also just reading through a bunch of this post it does crack me up how little people on this board know about contracts and how they function. Any time you see a big number come out in a contract signing you should automatically assume it actually was a contract more favorable to the team than the player. Agents of the player are the ones who release that top dollar in hopes of attracting future clients and making themselves look good for getting such a high dollar contract. Problem is no player is going to see that top dollar. A good chunk of those contracts are incentive based usually with the standards set so high that very few players could ever come close to earning them. Same goes for the guaranteed money of the contract in that just because it has the word guaranteed next to it doesn't actually mean it is guaranteed. Went through this with some of the Bronco players that they signed this off season in the high numbers on the contracts don't mean a thing.

Starting in the 2015 season Kaep salary cap hit will be $17,265,000 that only includes Base salary, signing bonus, roster bonus and work out bonus.

2016 It goes to $18,765,75
2017 $21,365,753

That sounds like a hefty salary to me and that is for money he's going to actually make, because the 49ers are not walking away from him, any time soon.

As a Seahawk fan, I don't care about the Seahawks being able to walk away from RW contract, because even if they could, they won't. I was hoping teams like the 49ers, Panthers and Bengals would keep the salary cap hits as far down as they could. I bet Colts fans feel the same way.

Oh well, I guess that is the market for young QBs nowadays. Just seems way to high and I'm sure Wilson and Luck will get even bigger contracts.:gaah:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Starting in the 2015 season Kaep salary cap hit will be $17,265,000 that only includes Base salary, signing bonus, roster bonus and work out bonus.

2017 $21,365,753

That sounds like a hefty salary to me and that is for money he's going to actually make, because the 49ers are not walking away from him, any time soon.

As a Seahawk fan, I don't care about the Seahawks being able to walk away from RW contract, because even if they could, they won't. I was hoping teams like the 49ers, Panthers and Bengals would keep the salary cap hits as far down as they could. I bet Colts fans feel the same way.

Oh well, I guess that is the market for young QBs nowadays. Just seems way to high and I'm sure Wilson and Luck will get even bigger contracts.:gaah:

Again, those figures are without factoring in the de-escalators. If he goes back to a SB, then he will get paid the going rate for that type of QB. If he doesn't, it's $2 million off the top. If he misses a game, it's $125K off the top. If his misses eight games, it's $1 million off the top. If he doesn't show improvement this year, we will almost certainly look to add a serious challenger in 2014.

Is it a heck of a lot of money? Absolutely. But even maxed out, it's basically what other players in the same general area are making. At least this deal guards against his potential struggles.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to look at it as the Cap is going to increase something like $20 million over the next couple of years. So obviously that means contracts prices go up especially for top players at positions. For Kaepernick not sure where you are getting your numbers. I am looking at the website overthecap.com and they have him with a Cap Hit of $15.2 million in 2015, $16.7 million in 2016, and $19.3 million in 2017.

So looking at those numbers right now Kaepernick is the 12th highest paid quarterback in 2015 and that is before Wilson, Luck, Newton, and RGIII get paid. So in reality for 2015 most likely he will be closer to barely being paid top-15 quarterback money. In 2016 he is barely top-10 in quarterback money and again before those other quarterbacks get paid. That season also only has 10 quarterbacks total making over $10 million at this time so you have to think there will be another 5-7 quarterbacks in that 2 year span that will make easily what Kaep will be making. After that we have no clue as very few quarterbacks are signed beyond that point.

So right now Kaep's contract falls somewhere in the 10-15 range for quarterback money. Most people when rating quarterbacks would have Kaep about that range right now. Throw in San Fran can get out of the contract just about any year they want with little dead money other than after this first year of the contract. I doubt they will want to cut him that quickly after just signing him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, those figures are without factoring in the de-escalators. If he goes back to a SB, then he will get paid the going rate for that type of QB. If he doesn't, it's $2 million off the top. If he misses a game, it's $125K off the top. If his misses eight games, it's $1 million off the top. If he doesn't show improvement this year, we will almost certainly look to add a serious challenger in 2014.

Is it a heck of a lot of money? Absolutely. But even maxed out, it's basically what other players in the same general area are making. At least this deal guards against his potential struggles.

Yeah, your right, those numbers are before subtracting the de-escalators . Still was hoping to see lower cap hits for young QBs, especially one like Kaep, who has only a year and a half for actual experience as a starter.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2017 $21,365,753

You're all over the place Harold...first you say it's a bad contract because we only have Gabbert to fall back on IF we cut Kaep, then you say we won't be walking away from him any time soon anyway?

Regardless, I don't think you are quite grasping how contracts in the NFL work. You see average of $21 M per season, but the reality is it isn't, and never will be near that, whether the de-escalators kick in or not. The 6 year/$126 Million number is staggering, but contracts like this are almost NEVER seen through beginning to end. Hell look at Tom Brady's contract history. The salary cap is very fluid, and it takes a ton of bad signings over an extended period of time before it ever really catches up with a team. This contract will never obviously bite the Niner's in the ass, since we have an out every year, and as long as Kaep performs, he shouldn't have anything to complain about.

Signing bonuses and option bonuses are spread out over 5 years, or the length of the contract, whichever is less.

Here is a look at the actual cash earnings of recent big name QB's over the course of the first 5 years of each's contract:

Brees $20 M
Flacco $20 M
Ryan $19.3 M
Manning $19.2 M
Stafford $19.2 M
Romo $18.6 M
Rodgers $17.4 M
Cutler $17 M
Kaepernick $15 M (Min) - $16.6 M (Max)

This would be assuming that all of the above even play the first 5 years under their current contracts. You can essentially shave off anything over 5 years on a typical QB contract.

The $21 M a year average is meaningless because the contract is stretched over an extra year, while at a minimum, the last (and highest contract year) will never be played under the current deal. His highest cap hit, which isn't until 2020, is significantly lower than the highest of Brees, Flacco, and Romo, which all come within the next two seasons.

I wouldn't worry too much about what Russell gets. I could easily structure a contract giving him the highest average salary in the NFL, sets a record for most biggest signing bonus, and gives him the most truly guaranteed money in the history of the game, all while costing several million less than Kaep potentially can make during the 2015 through 2019 season. It's all about the fine print.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're all over the place Harold...first you say it's a bad contract because we only have Gabbert to fall back on IF we cut Kaep, then you say we won't be walking away from him any time soon anyway?

Regardless, I don't think you are quite grasping how contracts in the NFL work. You see average of $21 M per season, but the reality is it isn't, and never will be near that, whether the de-escalators kick in or not. The 6 year/$126 Million number is staggering, but contracts like this are almost NEVER seen through beginning to end. Hell look at Tom Brady's contract history. The salary cap is very fluid, and it takes a ton of bad signings over an extended period of time before it ever really catches up with a team. This contract will never obviously bite the Niner's in the ass, since we have an out every year, and as long as Kaep performs, he shouldn't have anything to complain about.

Signing bonuses and option bonuses are spread out over 5 years, or the length of the contract, whichever is less.

Here is a look at the actual cash earnings of recent big name QB's over the course of the first 5 years of each's contract:

Brees $20 M
Flacco $20 M
Ryan $19.3 M
Manning $19.2 M
Stafford $19.2 M
Romo $18.6 M
Rodgers $17.4 M
Cutler $17 M
Kaepernick $15 M (Min) - $16.6 M (Max)

This would be assuming that all of the above even play the first 5 years under their current contracts. You can essentially shave off anything over 5 years on a typical QB contract.

The $21 M a year average is meaningless because the contract is stretched over an extra year, while at a minimum, the last (and highest contract year) will never be played under the current deal. His highest cap hit, which isn't until 2020, is significantly lower than the highest of Brees, Flacco, and Romo, which all come within the next two seasons.

I wouldn't worry too much about what Russell gets. I could easily structure a contract giving him the highest average salary in the NFL, sets a record for most biggest signing bonus, and gives him the most truly guaranteed money in the history of the game, all while costing several million less than Kaep potentially can make during the 2015 through 2019 season. It's all about the fine print.

I'm on a island on this topic, but I'm going to try to make this clearer.

First off most folks say this is a team friendly contract because it's a year to year deal in theory, but is it really? Kaep is getting a 12 million dollar signing bonus, so if the 49ers cut him next off season they suffer a 10 million dollar hit to their cap, 8 million the next year, and so forth. Can we agree that that kind of cap hit is harsh? Lets add in the fact that they have no viable backup to develop? So in fact despite the fact that the media is calling this a year to year contract, it really isn't. The 49ers are married to Kaep for the next 3 years at least.
I'm actually surprised the 49ers gave a QB with one and a half years experience this kind of money, especially a QB noted more for being a running QB rather then a passer. He's going to have to change fundamentally what his first instinct tells him to do, which is run, to move in the pocket and go thru his reads.

As far at what happens to Kaep years from now, I could care less. I'm just worried about how this affects signing RW, and right now it's looking very expensive.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First off most folks say this is a team friendly contract because it's a year to year deal in theory, but is it really? Kaep is getting a 12 million dollar signing bonus, so if the 49ers cut him next off season they suffer a 10 million dollar hit to their cap, 8 million the next year, and so forth. Can we agree that that kind of cap hit is harsh? Lets add in the fact that they have no viable backup to develop? So in fact despite the fact that the media is calling this a year to year contract, it really isn't. The 49ers are married to Kaep for the next 3 years at least.
I'm actually surprised the 49ers gave a QB with one and a half years experience this kind of money, especially a QB noted more for being a running QB rather then a passer. He's going to have to change fundamentally what his first instinct tells him to do, which is run, to move in the pocket and go thru his reads.

As far at what happens to Kaep years from now, I could care less. I'm just worried about how this affects signing RW, and right now it's looking very expensive.

Now I don't think Kaep is as good as most on this thread does, but as far as a 12 mil. signing bonus for an NFL QBs major contract. I don't think it gets much cheaper than that. Harsh would probably the last word I used. Another thing you are missing. This contract wont have to be restructured if they don't want unlike most major QB contracts, where they are written & designed to be restructured (making the hit on the cap worse) I think Kaeps contract is the most team friendly contract I have seen.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are on an island of stupidity on this one my friend. Kaep's dead $ hit is a drop in the bucket compared to others. His cap hit if cut, even after 1 season as our starter would only be slightly more than Seattle had for a guy who started 1 NFL game and never went on to take a meaningful snap for you guys. Just how "married" to Flynn were you guys?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah sorry Harold but for a quarterback that kind of dead money is nothing. I mean you look at a guy like Aaron Rodgers who has a dead money hit of over $40 million and a guy like Matt Ryan who has one over $50 million it makes you appreciate the deal for the 49ers. They really did not put much guaranteed money into this contract which is rare for a quarterback. Really for most players that is what they should be caring about as that is the only part of the contract that they will for sure see no matter what happens in their career. Kaep really is taking a chance with this contract as he is betting on himself. Yes the contract can become a top-10 quarterback type contract but that requires Kaep to actually play like a top-10 quarterback to get the money. Pretty much the 49ers have designed a contract that the player makes as much as he is actually worth. Too often teams have to pay for past playing and very few players actually live up to the contract they are given where this one is completely opposite of that.

Also that quarterback with 1 1/2 years of experience has been the quarterback in 2 straight NFC Championship games and 1 Super Bowl so obviously there is talent there. Yes he has a lot of work to do but so did Steve Young for the 49ers when he came to them as he was a lot like Kaep in 1 read then take off running. I think he turned out pretty good and if Kaep can be even half that good the 49ers should be set for a while at the quarterback position.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not read anything on this thread but hey you niner fans,GRATS!

Yah grats.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not going to beat ya up on a response as others have already chimed in...other then the bolded part. Being married to a contract with a QB who is 25, moving into the prime of his career, for three years is not necessarily a bad thing. At worst, he can manage games. At best, he takes games over. This given his upside is a no-brainer although I fully expect the Niners to make a run next year at an athletic QB in the mid rounds of the draft to develop behind Kap during this maturation process.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are on an island of stupidity on this one my friend. Kaep's dead $ hit is a drop in the bucket compared to others. His cap hit if cut, even after 1 season as our starter would only be slightly more than Seattle had for a guy who started 1 NFL game and never went on to take a meaningful snap for you guys. Just how "married" to Flynn were you guys?

The Seahawks took a 4 million dollar cap hit when they traded Flynn to the Raider, which is a lot less then the cap hit the 49ers would take if they cut Kaep after one year.
Also the Seahawks were never married to Flynn, they had a viable plan B at QB, which worked out really well.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Also the Seahawks were never married to Flynn, they had a viable plan B at QB, which worked out really well.

At the time he was signed they didn't have a plan B though.

And even after they drafted Wilson they weren't anticipating him to do what he until they realized what they had during training camp.

The 9ers feel they have a franchise QB in Kap which is why they just have Gabbert as a backup. Worst case scenario for them would be if Kap bombs and if he does they would just draft a guy and he would be ready to take on the role as a rookie or in his 2nd season.

But the whole point in why it's a good contract is they at least have an escape clause which wouldn't cripple them if they had to use it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HaroldSeattle there are very few teams that have a decent plan B. I mean look at Seattle right now if Russell Wilson either falls off the map or gets hurt. T. Jackson is an ok back up but not like he is going to come in and light up the league.

Also again considering the Dead Money hits that other teams would take if they had to cut their starting quarterback Kaepernick is a steal. I mean we are talking almost $30-40 million in Dead Money difference between Kaepernick and other quarterbacks who have signed contracts in the last couple of years. Throw in with the Cap going up $12 million begins to feel more like $6 million in actual dead money compared to just a couple of years ago. I know it is not quite that but it begins to become a little more of a drop in the bucket instead of a season killer if they were to have to cut him. I don't see them needing to any time soon though.

Also you keep bringing up that he only has played a year and a half at this point but not like Wilson has played a heck of a lot more yet I bet you would praise the Seahawks for signing him right now and locking him up for years. Both Wilson and Kaep have shown the ability to play at a high level and I don't see that changing very soon so both will have earned the contracts they get. Again Kaep's is very team friendly...You seem to be the only person that doesn't get that. Most media folks are very surprised that Kaep would take such a contract as he did.

Really at this point if he doesn't take them to the Super Bowl he gets paid more like a middle of the road quarterback. If he get's them to the Super Bowl then he gets paid like a Super Bowl quarterback. It is as simple as that. As a fan I would love for my team to have more contracts like this as it is a great motivator for the players to keep playing instead of just thinking "I got my money so now I can just coast the rest of the way."

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK I'm going to drop this argument. Obviously I see Kaep as a bigger gamble then others here.

0060-0807-1220-5847_a_beat_up_man_waving_the_white_flag_of_surrender_clipart_image.jpg

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think teams would love to hand out Kaepernick deals going forward but I don't see really any QBs accepting them or being really forced to accept them.

I do not see a lot of agents wanting to accept this contract either.

Personally I was surprised by the very team friendly contract... kodos to Kaepernick, he obviously has a lot of confidence in himself to sign such a contract. He has to perform well to get all the $$$.

SF made out well with this contract IMO.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm over Colin Kaepernick. Or maybe just the way the 49ers handle him now. Either way, I'm over it. :mad2:

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
without his legs he is useless and they don't use his legs anymore