• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick signs extension

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha...you're jumped on board the "greatest contract ever" bandwagon before you knew any of the details that made it a great contract.

That's NOT something to be congratulated on.

It was (is) a great contract for the 49ers (not so great for Kaep IMO, I think he could have done better elsewhere), but don't act like you somehow knew that it had all the incentives and de-escaltators in there. You didn't. You thought it was great when we all thought it was 61MM guaranteed no matter what.

Someone has jumped in and has no clue whats going on. I said it from the start buddy. Get a clue, makes you look bad. Hence that is why I was right.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a great signing by San Fran. Gotta wait till those contract details are out. It's essentially a year to year contract so the 49ers can void it at any time and not get hit with it. If they keep him around then he obviously deserves that money because that means he's playing at a level that the 49ers think they can win with.

In addition, they just marked Wilson's price even higher and no guarantee Wilson signs the same contract. Both QBs rely on a run game and great Ds so it's kind of hard to compare until they steer away (if ever) from that.

It's an A+ signing. Seattle or up and coming teams didn't "LOSE" from this signing. We can all thank Flacco and subsequently Cutler (and someone else I'm forgetting) jacking up the price for all franchise GOOD QBs (my elite consists of 3 atm, not stating who they are, and no Wilson is not even considered in that 3), so whatever.

If the 49ers did not have that clause, I give it a C+ grade. Franchise QBs are franchise QBs but Wilson and Kaep have done it with elite running games and Ds. They haven't sniffed 4,000 pass yards which would be insane 20 years ago, but we're in a passing league now where that dominates most gameplay. Kaep IMO has a few more question marks than Wilson/Luck, but I think his upside is ultimately higher. It's a risk to take a gamble on a QB with some question marks BUT..

Year to year contract for one of the top 3 up and coming (for now) QBs in the league? A+. No other grade outside of an A or something, can be given.

Well done 9ers FO. I doubt with a ring and Wilson's goal to be an owner one day Seattle will even sniff a clause like this, which to be honest sucks. While Wilson and Kaep are not a Vick/RG3 type QB (take off non-stop) they still use their legs as a large part of the game. Kaep to convert some large gains and Wilson running around in the backfield. Not to mention the read option. Paying a QB like that a large contract is worrisome, and the 49ers didn't lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK I'm going to spell it out for all those who think it such a great contract for the 49ers because it is year to year. It's a worthless clause because their fall back QB is Blaine Gabbert. Really just how bad would Kaep have to be for the 49ers to cut him, when Blaine Gabbert is your backup plan?

So they paid too much for Kaep and yes they can cut him at little or no cost , but since they don't have a viable plan B at QB it really doesn't matter and doesn't make it a great contract for the 49ers. If they wanted a viable plan B, then they should have took a flyer on developing a QB in this years draft.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK I'm going to spell it out for all those who think it such a great contract for the 49ers because it is year to year. It's a worthless clause because their fall back QB is Blaine Gabbert. Really just how bad would Kaep have to be for the 49ers to cut him, when Blaine Gabbert is your backup plan?

So they paid too much for Kaep and yes they can cut him at little or no cost , but since they don't have a viable plan B at QB it really doesn't matter and doesn't make it a great contract for the 49ers. If they wanted a viable plan B, then they should have took a flyer on developing a QB in this years draft.

Oh c'mon Harold. If most starting QBs go down (especially in the NFC West unless you're Bradford who is just destined to go down anyway) you're F'd. It's a bad contract because Gabbert is bad? Are you kidding me? If Kaep starts sucking they would cut him in the offseason and bring someone else in or draft. And who knows Gabbert could get developed. They should start with taping his eyes open so he doesn't close them when throwing when defenders are in the vicinity... but I digress.

And it's a good clause because like Wilson the legs are a BIG part of their game. It's a threat if anything and Wilson uses his a lot to run around like a chicken with his head cut off in the backfield. If those legs go, yikes. Or if Kaep remains an 80s QB rating or digresses, you get rid of him. If he continues to play like he does, it's a solid signing. 90+ rating QBs THIS day and age do command that money. Except at least the 9ers have a way out with him should he blow his assets.

C'mon man.

Was Sherman a bad contract because if he gets injured we have Tharold Simon or Jeremy Lane playing? *sigh* Look I hate the 9ers, but it's a solid contract. Take off the blinders yo.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh c'mon Harold. If most starting QBs go down (especially in the NFC West unless you're Bradford who is just destined to go down anyway) you're F'd. It's a bad contract because Gabbert is bad? Are you kidding me? If Kaep starts sucking they would cut him in the offseason and bring someone else in or draft. And who knows Gabbert could get developed. They should start with taping his eyes open so he doesn't close them when throwing when defenders are in the vicinity... but I digress.

And it's a good clause because like Wilson the legs are a BIG part of their game. It's a threat if anything and Wilson uses his a lot to run around like a chicken with his head cut off in the backfield. If those legs go, yikes. Or if Kaep remains an 80s QB rating or digresses, you get rid of him. If he continues to play like he does, it's a solid signing. 90+ rating QBs THIS day and age do command that money. Except at least the 9ers have a way out with him should he blow his assets.

C'mon man.

Was Sherman a bad contract because if he gets injured we have Tharold Simon or Jeremy Lane playing? *sigh* Look I hate the 9ers, but it's a solid contract. Take off the blinders yo.

Shark...focus buddy! Everybody is saying this is a great contract even though the 49ers are paying him like he's a proven QB. Why? Because it's year to year. Big frigging deal when your plan B is Blaine, oh you say they can just go draft someone to develop? That boat has sailed my friend, that is what they should have done this year, but didn't.
As for the Seahawks, they do have some candidates to develop.

My blinders are off, you should take yours off. Also FYI that post was directed at everybody who thinks this year to year contract is any thing more then window dress for PR the 49ers are going end up paying the full toll.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone has jumped in and has no clue whats going on. I said it from the start buddy. Get a clue, makes you look bad. Hence that is why I was right.

OMG. "Makes ME look bad." Wow, you're dense.

Let me slow it down for you.

Day 1 - Reported contract was 6 year extension for $126MM dollars, with $61MM guaranteed. Most fans of the NFL said, "Kaepernick just got guarenteed more money than any QB in NFL history. He's barely proved himself. We don't think he's worth that. 49ers FO got fleeced." Purguy12 says "Best contract EVER!"

Day 2 - Actual contract details are reported showing all the clauses and "outs" that the 49ers could use. Most fans of the NFL said, "Wow, 49ers FO did a good job protecting themselves from an unproven player. 49ers FO did great." Purguy12 says "Best contract EVER!"

You thought that Kaep deserved to get paid more guaranteed money than any QB in history. We know you think that because on Day 1 the details of the contract were not reported but you jumped in with your "best contract ever" opinion.

What I'm saying is based on the information we all had available on day 1, you were wrong. Just because you end up being right on day 2 doesn't make you less of an idiot for your over-support on day 1.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark...focus buddy! Everybody is saying this is a great contract even though the 49ers are paying him like he's a proven QB. Why? Because it's year to year. Big frigging deal when your plan B is Blaine, oh you say they can just go draft someone to develop? That boat has sailed my friend, that is what they should have done this year, but didn't.

My blinders are off, you should take yours off. Also FYI that post was directed at everybody who thinks this year to year contract is any thing more then window dress for PR the 49ers are going end up paying the full toll.

Good points, and I think you're right. I hope Kaep ends up being the next Sam Bradford. A QB who makes way too much money for what he does for the team but plays too well to get cut.

Also, I think I read that Kaeps contract is guaranteed for injury so if he ends up with a career ending injury from all his running around then he gets the 61MM or whatever. That may have been a separate insurance policy purchased outside of his NFL contract though, I'm not sure.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 126 spread over 7 years people. The extension is 6 years long, but the money starts this year. It's $18 mil per year.

Yeah, this is technically true I suppose, but you have to consider that you already had him under contract for ~1MM this year and now you're paying him an extra 17mil.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yeah, this is technically true I suppose, but you have to consider that you already had him under contract for ~1MM this year and now you're paying him an extra 17mil.

Not this year we aren't

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

You have to keep in mind that the reason he got the contract in the first place was because the team believed he's capable of being a SB winning elite QB. So worst case scenario for the team is him getting a career ending injury or being a subpar QB.

All the year to year aspect of the deal is like having lifeboats on a ship. You hope you don't have to use them but you're glad they are there if you do.

And the other aspect that makes it a great deal for the 49ers is that he actually has to perform to get the full amount. In order to stop the 2 million being shaved off a year he has to either A) Make the All-Pro team or B) Take 80% of the snaps for a season and win the NFC championship game. Obviously the 9ers hope to pay him the full amount but if he comes up short they save money.

It's deal that compared to other contracts the 9ers aren't taking a lot of risk on. I mean look at Flacco's deal where the Ravens will have already paid him $51 million dollars between last season and this season and it doesn't matter how he performs.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Harold, buddy, you're getting a little upset. Just take a few deep breaths. It's okay. The Hawks' biggest rival just signed their young QB to a great deal. That sort of thing will happen.

How many NFL teams have solutions at backup QB? How would the Hawks have done last year if Jackson took significant snaps? What this contract enables the Niners to do is assess Kap this season, retain him at a pretty reasonable pricetag if he improves, and address the QB position in the future if he doesn't. And without the all-pro/super bowl escalator, Kap's annual numbers are pretty reasonable. They will appear even more so after four of the best young QBs sign extensions next year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Proven? Sure. Elite? No. I just pointed this out over email to a buddy of mine who is a Hawks fan. Let's say Kap doesn't make the all-pro or get back to a Super Bowl in the next three years (if he makes the all-pro - HIGHLY unlikely - or makes another SB with what would then be around 50 starts, you'd have to consider him fairly proven). He would make around $4 million this year, $13 million in 2015, and $15 million in 2016, assuming he plays every game (very high per-game bonuses in this contract). That's not cheap, per se, but it's basically what any top-15 QB signing a new contract is going to get.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Missed this earlier. They do? At QB? Jackson is a stopgap at this point. He's probably better than most backups in the league, but he's not any kind of longterm answer. The Raiders gave up on Pryor when they had arguably the worst situation in the league at QB. Maybe he pans out, but I'm not holding my breath. Daniels and Price are both athletes. Are they NFL QBs? We'll see, but the odds are against them. Wilson is still the exception, not the rule when talking about short QBs.

The Niners aren't necessarily any better off, but they aren't really any worse off IMO. And they have Jim Harbaugh, which is a significant advantage when we're talking about developing QBs.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harold is obviously grasping at straws here. Let me get this straight...so the contract isn't great because Gabbert is our backup?? Lolololol....it's not a prove it contract. If they had any doubt we wouldnt be rolling with Kaep well into the future, why the fuck wouldn't they just let him play out this year on his rookie deal? If he doesn't earn his contract #'s this year we, draft a "developmental" guy next year. Do you honestly think there is absolutely any way the Niners would even consider cutting Kaep after year 1 of the new deal? The out clauses are simply insurance for the team, and it was written up perfectly. Very few teams really put much thought into backup qb's 2-3 years down the road, especially when your starter is young with an impressive track record thus far.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lolololol....it's not a prove it contract. If they had any doubt we wouldnt be rolling with Kaep well into the future....

I'm not saying it's a bad contract, but I don't know how you could argue that there is some doubt in the front office.

The contract gives the TEAM an almost penalty-free out every year. That wouldn't exist if there wasn't doubt.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harold is obviously grasping at straws here. Let me get this straight...so the contract isn't great because Gabbert is our backup?? Lolololol....it's not a prove it contract. If they had any doubt we wouldnt be rolling with Kaep well into the future, why the fuck wouldn't they just let him play out this year on his rookie deal? If he doesn't earn his contract #'s this year we, draft a "developmental" guy next year. Do you honestly think there is absolutely any way the Niners would even consider cutting Kaep after year 1 of the new deal? The out clauses are simply insurance for the team, and it was written up perfectly. Very few teams really put much thought into backup qb's 2-3 years down the road, especially when your starter is young with an impressive track record thus far.

Letting him play out his rookie deal would of been the smart thing to do. If he pans out then work on a new contract and failing that just franchise him. Also they should of drafted a QB, they had tons of picks and the draft was full of QBs that had potential that could be developed, that would give the 49ers a plan B. Waiting until they give up on Kaep, then drafting someone, is to little, to late.

The contract isn't great because Kaep is going make big bucks, even if he doesn't improve for this point forward. Everyone knows that thus far Kaep success has come from making big plays with his legs, not with throwing the ball, unless his first read is open. He is going have to make some fundamental changes to succeed down the road. Funny that once the news came out that it was a year to year deal, everyone starts raving about what a smart deal it was. As if the 49ers really can afford to walk away from Kaep even without a plan B at backup ( I assume we agree that Gabbert isn't a plan B anymore then Pryor is for the Seahawks), for better or worse Kaep is going to be the QB for the next 3 or 4 years, regradless if gets better or doesn't. So having it a year to year deal is window dressing to distract from just how much they are going to be paying him IMO.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not saying it's a bad contract, but I don't know how you could argue that there is some doubt in the front office.

The contract gives the TEAM an almost penalty-free out every year. That wouldn't exist if there wasn't doubt.

Why not? Any team would be wise to sign players to this sort of contract, regardless of how much faith they have in a player. That's not to say the Niners have faith in Kap. Just that the structure of the contract alone doesn't prove they don't IMO.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Letting him play out his rookie deal would of been the smart thing to do. If he pans out then work on a new contract and failing that just franchise him. Also they should of drafted a QB, they had tons of picks and the draft was full of QBs that had potential that could be developed, that would give the 49ers a plan B. Waiting until they give up on Kaep, then drafting someone, is to little, to late.

The contract isn't great because Kaep is going make big bucks, even if he doesn't improve for this point forward. Everyone knows that thus far Kaep success has come from making big plays with his legs, not with throwing the ball, unless his first read is open. He is going have to make some fundamental changes to succeed down the road. Funny that once the news came out that it was a year to year deal, everyone starts raving about what a smart deal it was. As if the 49ers really can afford to walk away from Kaep even without a plan B at backup ( I assume we agree that Gabbert isn't a plan B anymore then Pryor is for the Seahawks), for better or worse Kaep is going to be the QB for the next 3 or 4 years, regradless if gets better or doesn't. So having it a year to year deal is window dressing to distract from just how much they are going to be paying him IMO.

Again, it's not just that it's a year-to-year deal. $2 million per year in likely de-escalators. $2 million per year in per game bonuses. If he doesn't play at a high level, it's not all that much money for a starting QB.

And saying Kap's success comes from big plays with his legs is as inaccurate as saying Wilson only makes plays outside the pocket. Probably more so.