• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick signs extension

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I've always understood contracts is that if a six year contract has 61 million guaranteed, then that will automatically count against the cap limit equally throughout the length of the contract, so 10 million in each of the next six years, regardless of if he is on the roster or not. Is that not true?

No that is not true, and most of the time it is not true in the NFL, it is only guaranteed if certain things happen, in this case he has to be on the roster April 1, and the contract is only guaranteed if he is hurt. Other than that they only thing that is typically guaranteed is the signing bonus, and the first year of the contract as most teams will not cut a player year one. Remember there is a difference between NFL contracts and those of the MLB/NBA.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I've always understood contracts is that if a six year contract has 61 million guaranteed, then that will automatically count against the cap limit equally throughout the length of the contract, so 10 million in each of the next six years, regardless of if he is on the roster or not. Is that not true?

Also, the signing bonus is prorated over the life of the contract but at a maximum 5 year period, so, his cap hit this year is:
2014-3.11MM
2015-14.8, as low as 12.8
2016-16.3, as low as 14.3
2017-18.9, as low as 16.9
2018-19.4, as low as 17.4
2019-18.8, as low as 16.8
2020-21.0, as low as 19.0

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not true. It all depends how the contract is written. In this case, that "$61 mil" is a bogus number. At this point, only the signing bonus & 2014 salary are guaranteed. The 2015-18 base salaries are only guaranteed for injury till April 1st of each of those contract years & then become guaranteed for that season. Meaning that SF can cut him at any point before April first in each of the 2015-18 seasons & could walk away without owing him a dime. If he were to get cut in May 2015, only the signing bonus & any workout bonuses would count against the cap.

Essentially, this is year-to-year contract with only around $13 mil guaranteed. The $61 mil number is just agent spin because his base salary for years 15-18 become fully guaranteed on April 1st of each of those years.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is actually a great contract. Much better than I expected it to be for the team. The true guaranteed money is very low, and the team can get out of the contract after every season with minimal cap hit. SIGNIFICANT performance-related de-escalators that are going to be pretty hard to achieve (super bowl win or pro bowl), and very high per-game bonuses to secure against injury.

This contract ensures that if Kaepernick gets even close to the full value of the contract he will have earned it. Great move by the Niners to lock up a promising player at the most important position throughout his prime with virtually no risk to the team.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Honestly, I couldn't possibly disagree anymore with this statement.

Wilson and Kaepernick are extremely far apart in terms of their development. The difference between Wilson and Kaepernick is that Wilson is a lot more fundamentally sound, whereas Kaepernick relies more on his natural ability and not his head.

Wilson really doesn't have any weaknesses at this point, aside from his height. Fundamentally, Wilson is as good as he is going to get with his natural ability. I don't see that Wilson really has anything he could improve on. There were some times that his accuracy was off on slant routes, but he ironed that out the next week.

Kaepernick on the other hand has an extremely high ceiling. I believe that Kaepernick has more natural ability than Wilson, but Kaepernick just struggles going through his reads, something that has been a problem for him since coming into the NFL and does not seem to be getting any better. If you put Russell Wilson's head on Colin Kaepernick's body, you'd have one of the most dangerous players in the NFL. The unfortunate thing for the 49ers is that Colin Kaepernick is yet to show any improvements going through his reads. At this point, it would appear Kaepernick doesn't have the "football intelligence" to put it all together and take that next step to become elite.

The only similarities between Kaepernick and Wilson are that they play in the same division, they can run and both came into the league at around the same time. In terms of development, they are leagues apart.

Perhaps I should not have used the word "development." I will agree that Wilson's mechanics are much better, and his awareness/vision is somewhat better. I watched more of Wilson last year than any QB other than Kap, though, and he isn't exactly sitting in the pocket going through his reads and carving up the opposition. Like Kap, Wilson is all too willing to flee the pocket prematurely without getting through his progressions. Now, he does a better job of making plays with his arm outside the pocket, but inside the pocket he's no better - and frankly I think a bit worse - than Kaepernick. Part of that probably comes from Kap forcing the ball to his first read even when there are better options, but he's got the arm talent to do that. If Wilson is already basically fully developed already, then the Hawks are in some trouble going forward, I think. That D is going to be very hard to maintain once Wilson gets paid, which he almost certainly will.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What will be interesting is to see how SF handles their remaining soon to be FA(s) for 2015 while they are currently sitting at $145,906,294 for their 2015 cap number. Guys like Iupati & Crabtree still need new contracts. And then there are guys like Gore & Dorsey who they likely need to bring back.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a great deal for the 49ers. If he Kaep up to a good standard he gets paid. If he doesn't and the 49ers nerf the team then he's gone. He might end up regretting this down the road but it's nice to see a QB be paid for his performance instead of what he did going up to the extension.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps I should not have used the word "development." I will agree that Wilson's mechanics are much better, and his awareness/vision is somewhat better. I watched more of Wilson last year than any QB other than Kap, though, and he isn't exactly sitting in the pocket going through his reads and carving up the opposition. Like Kap, Wilson is all too willing to flee the pocket prematurely without getting through his progressions. Now, he does a better job of making plays with his arm outside the pocket, but inside the pocket he's no better - and frankly I think a bit worse - than Kaepernick. Part of that probably comes from Kap forcing the ball to his first read even when there are better options, but he's got the arm talent to do that. If Wilson is already basically fully developed already, then the Hawks are in some trouble going forward, I think. That D is going to be very hard to maintain once Wilson gets paid, which he almost certainly will.

Here comes the whole "he doesn't throw from the pocket" crap again. Do you actually watch him play? He's fine in the pocket if he gets time to throw and make the early hits. The problem is that the offensive line was in shambles for most of the season and he was running for his life most of the time playing in what was easily the best defensive division in the NFL. The Seahawks went into some pretty big games with 3/5 of the starters on the line not available. If he needs to extend plays then he does but he's more than capable of sitting in the pocket.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great breakdown of the contract. Its really a good contract. Team friendly. 49ers can almost back out whenever. Kap will have to prove himself almost every year.

Front office did a great job and Kap showing he still wants to prove himself. Good job on both sides.

The full Kaepernick contract details | ProFootballTalk

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here comes the whole "he doesn't throw from the pocket" crap again. Do you actually watch him play? He's fine in the pocket if he gets time to throw and make the early hits. The problem is that the offensive line was in shambles for most of the season and he was running for his life most of the time playing in what was easily the best defensive division in the NFL. The Seahawks went into some pretty big games with 3/5 of the starters on the line not available. If he needs to extend plays then he does but he's more than capable of sitting in the pocket.

I agree, Here is a play outside the pocket. I still think of that TD throw against Seattle. One of the best throws I have seen.

Plays of the Year Num 10 : Boldin's Touchdown in Seattle - YouTube

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What will be interesting is to see how SF handles their remaining soon to be FA(s) for 2015 while they are currently sitting at $145,906,294 for their 2015 cap number. Guys like Iupati & Crabtree still need new contracts. And then there are guys like Gore & Dorsey who they likely need to bring back.

Iupati and Gore are likely gone judging by the way this past draft played out.

I have a feeling they are going to want to resign Crabtree but that's all going to depend on what Crabtree demands. He's the guy that heldout as a rookie so his asking price could wind up higher than what the 9ers are willing to pay.

Dorsey will be another guy that I believe they'll try to bring back but will depend on his asking price and how some of the younger defensive linemen do this season.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing the contract makes this a much better deal for the Niners. Like the way it was set up. Hopefully this style of performance based qualifiers can help set a new standard for writing up high dollar contracts in the future. No team should have to roll the dice, especially with the rate of injuries, and mortgage their future tied to 1 or 2 players on the team.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

And yet, as his line play improved later in the year, his play declined. Why? Because he was staying in the pocket - where he struggles. Oh, sure, he'll make some plays. But he's not a very good pocket passer right now. He's pretty good at hitting receivers quickly, particularly on slants. On slower developing routes, as throwing lanes get clogged, he struggles. And like many young, mobile QB, he flees the pocket when he could just move within it. I'm certainly not saying he can't improve this area, but without his play outside the pocket, he wouldn't have accomplished what he did this year.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Seeing the contract makes this a much better deal for the Niners. Like the way it was set up. Hopefully this style of performance based qualifiers can help set a new standard for writing up high dollar contracts in the future. No team should have to roll the dice, especially with the rate of injuries, and mortgage their future tied to 1 or 2 players on the team.

As a skins fan you should be thrilled at this contract because it does give some leverage in the upcoming RGIII talks.

Though I don't expect RGIII to take such a team friendly deal but any leverage helps.

Bison645

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Far a guy who can score anytime he touches the ball, this contract is a steal.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a skins fan you should be thrilled at this contract because it does give some leverage in the upcoming RGIII talks.

Though I don't expect RGIII to take such a team friendly deal but any leverage helps.

Believe me I'm thrilled. See the skins thread below.

At least it helps lay the foundation to reign in some of these OTT contracts that can hold a franchise hostage for years when lack of performance or injury happens. I do think it necessary to protect a player if injured. Just not at the cost of an entire franchise.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...ding-roses-chocolates-strippers-49ers-gm.html

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BpYU6YlIgAAX2-7.jpg

Kaepernick is really happy about his contract. Here's a pic.