• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick signs extension

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
None of those guys got hurt when they ran when they were his age, so weak comparison. Kaep can't read a defense the way those guys can, either. And that is what a QB needs to be able to do.

No, its to point out that even pocket QBs get hurt as well. That's my point. Kap can make plays happen with his legs, those other guys can't. Kap can take a game over two ways, those other guys can't. You can argue they are limited as well.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, its to point out that even pocket QBs get hurt as well. That's my point. Kap can make plays happen with his legs, those other guys can't. Kap can take a game over two ways, those other guys can't. You can argue they are limited as well.

Running QB's don't have a long future as runners. They typically do it for a few years and then only use it to escape because their 4th option is covered. When is Colin gonna be able to find his 4th option?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He chose Kap over Smith, and his team has been one of the top 4 teams the past two years with Kap at the helm. Again he knows more than I or anyone else typing here, so I will lean toward his thoughts over anyone on here.
not arguing that. just saying once he did that he has to see it through.
I originally popped in here to basically say Seattle is gonna have to pay more now, when the purguy went crazy with his silliness.

As you point out. "If" Kap can learn to be better on his reads & even when breaking out to run if he can fin a player to pass too instead of just bolting, he does have the potential to be worth the contract.

But unless you are Manning or Marino or some super QB like that, you aren't taking a non playoff team to the playoffs. Where Purguy acts like it is all Kap. The niners the last few years is what? a top 3 or 4 team in the league.
To me there is a difference between what your assessment is & what he has been spewing.

Granted I don't think he is as good of a QB as any of you niner fans think, but dont think he is bottom tier either. Usually though if the 1st thing people mention for a qb is athletic, that usually means he is lacking as a passer. Run 1st QBs dont win superbowls. So I guess you need to hope he gets better at eh quarterbacking part.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Running QB's don't have a long future as runners. They typically do it for a few years and then only use it to escape because their 4th option is covered. When is Colin gonna be able to find his 4th option?

Well ususally Qbs take time to learn everything in the NFL. Seeing how he has started for 1.5 years, it takes time. Then add in the fact that he was raw coming out from college as well. Colin is also bigger than all the other "running qbs". That is a huge difference. don't ignore it.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point wasn't it would save $2m a year. It saved you a TON this year, then $2M next year and gives you two years to see if he can take the next step. 3.5 years is a very solid body of work to be judged on.

The front office believed he's the guy, so it's wise for them to get this done now. If they had kept waiting, the price would've likely sky rocketed.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
not arguing that. just saying once he did that he has to see it through.
I originally popped in here to basically say Seattle is gonna have to pay more now, when the purguy went crazy with his silliness.

As you point out. "If" Kap can learn to be better on his reads & even when breaking out to run if he can fin a player to pass too instead of just bolting, he does have the potential to be worth the contract.

But unless you are Manning or Marino or some super QB like that, you aren't taking a non playoff team to the playoffs. Where Purguy acts like it is all Kap. The niners the last few years is what? a top 3 or 4 team in the league.
To me there is a difference between what your assessment is & what he has been spewing.

Granted I don't think he is as good of a QB as any of you niner fans think, but dont think he is bottom tier either. Usually though if the 1st thing people mention for a qb is athletic, that usually means he is lacking as a passer. Run 1st QBs dont win superbowls. So I guess you need to hope he gets better at eh quarterbacking part.

To be fair to Kap, two years ago in the playoffs it was him. Our defense played like crap that playoff. He was the reason we won the games and almost won the SB

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ususally Qbs take time to learn everything in the NFL. Seeing how he has started for 1.5 years, it takes time. Then add in the fact that he was raw coming out from college as well. Colin is also bigger than all the other "running qbs". That is a huge difference. don't ignore it.

Then give him as much time to see if he can do it. He hasn't shown he can, but getting paid like those that have proven he can.

Starting to see why people are questioning this contract?

And I won't ignore his size. It means he is gonna lose that elusiveness sooner

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The front office believed he's the guy, so it's wise for them to get this done now. If they had kept waiting, the price would've likely sky rocketed.

Great for your FO then. Everyone else not in the 9ers FO or liking this deal because you have no choice, sees it as a questionable-at-best deal

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap is also a hell of a lot bigger than Vick or RGlll
Kaep is only 15lbs heavier. That's not "a hell of a lot bigger". He may have 3 inches on him, but with factored in, there's not a huge size difference.

Kaep definitely needs to learn to read a D better. Vick never could, and couldn't stop taking hits. Kaep could follow in his same footsteps if he isn't careful.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Then give him as much time to see if he can do it. He hasn't shown he can, but getting paid like those that have proven he can.

Starting to see why people are questioning this contract?

And I won't ignore his size. It means he is gonna lose that elusiveness sooner

He has shown in spite of bad progression reading, that he can win. That he can take this team to the superbowl. That's more than most Qbs can do. How can you question a contract that pays him the same as guys that don't sniff what Kap has in his first 1.5 years as a starter? He has shown the abilty to be a franchise guy, and he is still progressing. That why he got paid.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kaep is only 15lbs heavier. That's not "a hell of a lot bigger". He may have 3 inches on him, but with factored in, there's not a huge size difference.

Kaep definitely needs to learn to read a D better. Vick never could, and couldn't stop taking hits. Kaep could follow in his same footsteps if he isn't careful.

Actaully 15lbs is quite a bit. Kap is ripped and extremely strong. 15lbs is a big difference.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has shown in spite of bad progression reading, that he can win. That he can take this team to the superbowl. That's more than most Qbs can do. How can you question a contract that pays him the same as guys that don't sniff what Kap has in his first 1.5 years as a starter? He has shown the abilty to be a franchise guy, and he is still progressing. That why he got paid.

Because I know that without the defense he has, Kaep doesn't even make the playoffs.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look, 9ers fans appear happy with the deal. Great. Good luck with it. Hope it works out for you, won't be surprised if it doesn't. Won't be surprised to see a "wish we kept Alex" thread again by week 8 next year.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I know that without the defense he has, Kaep doesn't even make the playoffs.

The Niners D wasn't very good the last 6 games of 2012 regular season and the Niners made the playoffs that year. The Niners D continued to be mediocre at best in the playoffs that year, and yet the Niners managed to make it to the Super Bowl.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look, 9ers fans appear happy with the deal. Great. Good luck with it. Hope it works out for you, won't be surprised if it doesn't. Won't be surprised to see a "wish we kept Alex" thread again by week 8 next year.

Last I checked, they were still debating that. :noidea:

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Question for you. Why is Dallas never in the playoffs? Because their defense sucks. Why did the hawks win the SB? Their defense. Why do teams make the playoffs? Because they are a complete team.

Kap's defense has been good, but this statement is garbage. All you have to do is look at what Kap has done. Like has been stated over and over, he is the reason we made it to the SB. Ask Green Bay fans why they lost to us, its because Kap beat them. Our defense let Rogers score left and right. The falcons had a huge lead on us, and Kap lead us back. In the super bowl we were down because the defense gave up a ton of points, and Kap lead us back for a near win.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There will always be fans who wish we kept Alex. People have different opinions. So yeah there would be no surprise if a there is a thread next season expressing that sentiment. One bad game and you will probably see it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All those QBs have played for years, what you see is what you get. Kaep isn't getting paid for how he performed, he is getting paid based on a projection that he'll be a Steve Young rather then a Michael Vick. It's a reach, but the 49er choose to not have a backup plan. They could of drafted a QB with some upside this year but decided to go all in with Kaep, thus forcing them to over pay on a projection that may never come about.

Truthfully , they should have just waited to resign him. No need to push all their chips in on a hope.

All of those QBs have been mediocre for years, with a tendency to choke in big games (Flacco excepted). Passing yards alone don't get you much if you can't win big games. And Kap isn't being paid like one of the greats. He's being paid like an above average QB in today's NFL.

I'm torn on the extension. It's a lot of money. But it's highly unlikely the team was going to let him walk after this year unless he absolutely fell apart this year. It's clear the team believes he's the future, so save some money longterm by signing him now.

Let's turn it around: if the Hawks could extend Wilson this year, with one year remaining on his deal, would you be in favor of them doing it?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did they get the contract after roughly 25 games?

No. Those teams settled on established mediocrity. The Niners made a bet on upside. Frankly, I'd take the latter option.

And the post I was referencing was blaming Kap for blowing up the QB market. His contract is not out of line with the contracts of guys. How long he's been playing is irrelevant to his effect on the overall financials of the position.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys can pretend like this is a good deal all you want, but no one outside of 9ers nation thinks it is a smart move.