• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick signs extension

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of those QBs have been mediocre for years, with a tendency to choke in big games (Flacco excepted). Passing yards alone don't get you much if you can't win big games. And Kap isn't being paid like one of the greats. He's being paid like an above average QB in today's NFL.

I'm torn on the extension. It's a lot of money. But it's highly unlikely the team was going to let him walk after this year unless he absolutely fell apart this year. It's clear the team believes he's the future, so save some money longterm by signing him now.

Let's turn it around: if the Hawks could extend Wilson this year, with one year remaining on his deal, would you be in favor of them doing it?

The QBs you call mediocre have shown skills like reading defenses and going through reads. Unfortunately they have been on teams that have not been near as good as the 49ers. The 49ers really put themselves in a bad spot by not drafting a QB. I guess they are sold on Kaep, most folks find that strange.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The QBs you call mediocre have shown skills like reading defenses and going through reads. Unfortunately they have been on teams that have not been near as good as the 49ers. The 49ers really put themselves in a bad spot by not drafting a QB. I guess they are sold on Kaep, most folks find that strange.

Again, if Wilson was up this year, would you give him a longterm deal in this ballpark? What would Hawks fans be saying about it if they did?

As noted, the reality is that the Niners were almost certain to extend Kap at the end of the year. Doing it now, they set the floor of the contracts that are negotiated post salary cap increase. They lock up the guy they think is their franchise QB to age 33. Look, if Kap doesn't pan out, obviously it's a bad deal. But if he shows even moderate improvement, I don't think this deal will look that bad in three or four years.

And we don't even know the full terms of the contract at this time. It's a little premature to be weighing in either way.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most folks find it strange because he is not their teams QB. He comes off as arrogant, and most people don't like that. Is he a great QB? No, not yet anyway, but he has shown PLENTY of flashes of greatness. He makes a lot of mistakes, but that's not all uncommon of young QB's now is it?

I personally wanted them to wait until next year to sign him. With the players we have at WR now, there will be no excuses for him in the passing game. Regardless, the devil is always in the details, and until we see how the contract is structured, it's nearly impossible to say how good or bad the contract is. All I know is that our FO has been extremely creative in writing contracts in the past, no reason to think they weren't in this situation as well. With the increase in cap space and several big names coming up for extension soon, I would not be surprised if Kaep is considered a bargain in two years time. We shall see as always.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
purguy12 isn't the only poster who "won" the argument about what a great deal this was, it appears

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,306.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn

:pop2::pop2:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking lol.

My first reaction was to laugh at the 49ers until I realized that this means Wilson's price just went up with this deal.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on guys, can't we all agree that Kaep is an awesome QB? In his first three seasons the niners were in the NFCC, and even one the game once. Heck, Kaep even started half of those games!!

Clearly Kaep is awesome and Russell Wilson sucks because his defense won the Superbowl.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Come on guys, can't we all agree that Kaep is an awesome QB? In his first three seasons the niners were in the NFCC, and even one the game once. Heck, Kaep even started half of those games!!

Clearly Kaep is awesome and Russell Wilson sucks because his defense won the Superbowl.

Kap started 2/3 of those games. He and Wilson are pretty similar in terms of their development. Wilson also has a lot of weaknesses he will have to iron out to become a guy who can carry his team instead of going along for the ride and providing the occasional push.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap started 2/3 of those games. He and Wilson are pretty similar in terms of their development. Wilson also has a lot of weaknesses he will have to iron out to become a guy who can carry his team instead of going along for the ride and providing the occasional push.

Honestly, I couldn't possibly disagree anymore with this statement.

Wilson and Kaepernick are extremely far apart in terms of their development. The difference between Wilson and Kaepernick is that Wilson is a lot more fundamentally sound, whereas Kaepernick relies more on his natural ability and not his head.

Wilson really doesn't have any weaknesses at this point, aside from his height. Fundamentally, Wilson is as good as he is going to get with his natural ability. I don't see that Wilson really has anything he could improve on. There were some times that his accuracy was off on slant routes, but he ironed that out the next week.

Kaepernick on the other hand has an extremely high ceiling. I believe that Kaepernick has more natural ability than Wilson, but Kaepernick just struggles going through his reads, something that has been a problem for him since coming into the NFL and does not seem to be getting any better. If you put Russell Wilson's head on Colin Kaepernick's body, you'd have one of the most dangerous players in the NFL. The unfortunate thing for the 49ers is that Colin Kaepernick is yet to show any improvements going through his reads. At this point, it would appear Kaepernick doesn't have the "football intelligence" to put it all together and take that next step to become elite.

The only similarities between Kaepernick and Wilson are that they play in the same division, they can run and both came into the league at around the same time. In terms of development, they are leagues apart.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap's contract is a big convoluted box of fluff.

The 49'ers come out way ahead big time with this contract.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB(s) are always going to be over paid in the NFL aka a passing league. SF basically has Kap on a 1 year deal that they can renew on April 1st in years 15-18 at a reasonable price. And years 19-20 SF can cut him at any point before the week one without having to pay his salary.

Here are the paticulars:

$12.328 million signing
14 - $645,000
15 - $12.4 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1
16 - $13.9 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1
17 - $16.5 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1
18 - $17 million, $5.2 million of which is guaranteed for injury only until April 1
19 - $18.8 million
20 - $21 million

In each year from 2015 through 2020, however, there’s a catch. A big one. The total payout potentially de-escalates by $2 million per year, with up to $12 million potentially going away.

Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the 49ers appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro. If he satisfies the requirement in 2014, the full $12 million remains. If he fails in 2014 but succeeds in 2015, $10 million stays. If he does it for the first time in 2016, $8 million remains. If he does it for the first time in 2017, $6 million stays — and so on until 2019, when if he satisfies the requirement that year for the first time $2 million stays in the deal for 2010.

If Kap turns out to be a top 10 QB in the NFL, SF has him on a year-to-year lease at below market value. If not, SF can dump him at any point & only incur the cap penalty fro the signing bonus.

A big win for SF either way.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys can pretend like this is a good deal all you want, but no one outside of 9ers nation thinks it is a smart move.

It's a good deal because it's at Cutler money, not above, and is escapable every year and the team requires Kaepernick to purchase insurance for injury (though he is smart with avoiding hits). They could cut him ANY year (but this) and his contract is essentially gone (2M prorated bonus). Obviously, the hope is he plays well.

---------------------

The full Kaepernick contract details | ProFootballTalk

Some of the highlights if you're one of those people that won't read an entire article:

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the 49ers the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the 49ers can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.

---------------

In each year from 2015 through 2020, however, there’s a catch. A big one. The total payout potentially de-escalates by $2 million per year, with up to $12 million potentially going away.

Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the 49ers appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro. If he satisfies the requirement in 2014, the full $12 million remains. If he fails in 2014 but succeeds in 2015, $10 million stays. If he does it for the first time in 2016, $8 million remains. If he does it for the first time in 2017, $6 million stays — and so on until 2019, when if he satisfies the requirement that year for the first time $2 million stays in the deal for 2010.

It’s a convoluted way to pump up the base value of the deal artificially, allowing Kaepernick and his agents to claim that the deal is better than it will be, unless he satisfies the requirements to stop the de-escalator this year.

----------

The contract also includes, starting in 2015, a whopping $2 million per year in per-game roster bonuses, an amount that one source characterized as “massive” in comparison to similar deals. It means that, for every game Kaepernick misses due to injury after the 2014 season, he loses $125,000.

--------------

The contract also requires Kaepernick to purchase, with after-tax dollars, a disability policy that pays the 49ers $20 million if he suffers a career-ending injury.

-----------------

As one source put it, Kaepernick can feel good about the deal because he has a lot more guaranteed money today than he had yesterday. But the same source also added that the 49ers are nevertheless “thrilled” with the contract, which allows them to control Kaepernick’s rights for seven years and to move on after any of the next six seasons, if they ultimately decide that Kaepernick is more like the guy who struggled at times during the 2013 regular season and less like the guy who found the gas pedal in the playoffs.

If they keep him, the average payout will be low in comparison to other franchise quarterbacks, and the difference will become glaring as other franchise quarterbacks get new deals under a salary cap that is expected to continue to spike.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a waste of money, for a QB who sucks donkey balls, well maybe now he can at least get a nose job.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Now that the details are out it's actually a fantastic deal for the 49ers.

He has to be on the field and perform at a high level to get the full amount, the 9ers aren't locked in and can drop him any year, and they are covered if he does have a career ending injury.

It's a low risk contract where the 9ers don't really lose either way.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the details, its a good deal for the 49'ers.............pre details not so mcuh

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, that's a pretty good deal for the team.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, i see i'm very late to the party with a shit load of pages before me I don't care to read, so this has probably been said a few times. But that's a lot of money for a guy that makes one read and runs, or makes one read and throws. IF, and I do mean IF, he can learn to be a complete NFL qb, he'll earn his money, but at this point he hasn't shown that. He's shown he's very talented, but a talented trick and half pony is all at this point.

I'm not saying he sucks, but without a stellar RB and Defensive to give him a lot of chances, I think he becomes too easy to defend for teams when the Niners aren't playing from a position of strength. I think the rest of the team is too important to a QB like Kap to invest that much money in someone that is just a piece, not "the guy".

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB(s) are always going to be over paid in the NFL aka a passing league. SF basically has Kap on a 1 year deal that they can renew on April 1st in years 15-18 at a reasonable price. And years 19-20 SF can cut him at any point before the week one without having to pay his salary.

Here are the paticulars:

$12.328 million signing
14 - $645,000
15 - $12.4 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1
16 - $13.9 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1
17 - $16.5 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1
18 - $17 million, $5.2 million of which is guaranteed for injury only until April 1
19 - $18.8 million
20 - $21 million

If Kap turns out to be a top 10 QB in the NFL, SF has him on a year-to-year lease at below market value. If not, SF can dump him at any point & only incur the cap penalty fro the signing bonus.

A big win for SF either way.
The way I've always understood contracts is that if a six year contract has 61 million guaranteed, then that will automatically count against the cap limit equally throughout the length of the contract, so 10 million in each of the next six years, regardless of if he is on the roster or not. Is that not true?

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a 9er fan I have been one of the more vocal Anti-Kap guys here, but even I have to say that I am happy with the contract now that the details are out.

My concerns are the same as the rest of the league with this guy; yes he has a boat load of talent with his legs but at the same time he cannot be trusted to read the defense either pre-snap or during the play.

The best example came in his last play of 2013, he had 5 receivers on the play and he choose the one who was covered in man-man from the pre-snap, he had 4 other open to semi open receivers. Patton with none around, Hunter behind his man and a potential TD, VD and 15 yards and the sideline, and Bolding for the TD (maybe).

But with that said, I have been saying I would be happy with a contract between 12-15MM and that is what he got, especially when you throw in the de-escalator. If he has the ability to learn from his mistakes then this will be good for the 9ers, but he has not shown that ability, he has had 3 years with the 9ers, 5 years in college, and I am assuming 4 in HS, in 12 years he has not learned to read a defense and instead relies on his legs like Vick, RG3, Young...