• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick signs extension

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only time will tell if it was too early. Every contract is a gamble. Kaepernick looks like a good gamble right now because he's a hard worker. Also, he might already be a better QB than the first three guys you mentioned. Higher passer rating, at least, than those guys.

As far as the franchise tag, I'm not sure how great it is to use it on a QB. First of all, it's really high for a QB (over $16 million) and secondly, you want continuity and stability at the position. Plus, you don't want to have a bad relationship with arguably your most important player. Finally, if you have your QB locked down, you can use the franchise tag on someone else if you really have to. I don't think the Niners like using the franchise tag. I don't think they used it for this upcoming season.

Yup, over $16M so that makes it actually cheaper than what you just guaranteed him.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading how Kap has had his defense in the playoffs and SB to help him. I would like to point out that Kap is the reason we beat Green Bay 2 years ago, the reason we beat Atlanta that year as well, and the reason we came back in the SB against the Ravens. The defense did not show up for those games at all. This year against the Seahawks, kap was the reason we were in that game offensively. The defense showed up, but on offense Kap was the only one doing a thing.

Now, winning the SB is hard. Getting to the plaoffs is hard, ask the browns, lions, cowboys, jags, and the list goes on. Kap has things to work on for sure, but look what he has accomplished so far. You can't argue with his results. He wins games. He has 1.5 years as a starter, and he is a nightmare for teams to play against.

At the end of the day, Harbaugh knows more about QBs than any of us do. I trust his decisions on Kap, and I trust what I have seen from him on the field. He's a young QB who was raw coming out of college, who had things to work on. IF, and that's the question here, IF, he starts getting through his progressions better, he will be more than worth the contract. Look what he has accomplished with out being a polished passer.
well to be honest. Harbaugh pretty much handcuffed himself to Kap when you guys dealt Smith. really doesn't have much choice in seeing this through, & since the niners wouldn't have a better option it was wise to sign him now rather than wait for the price of QBs to go up. If you are gonna have him as your starter for the next 4 years you have no choice but to sign him long term. At least you are reasonable about his short comings, & your hopes. I think he was more of a nightmare his 1st half of year. I think teams have adjusted to him the next year. Don't think Teams think of him as a nightmare right now.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree completely. Kap was the reason we were in that game, and then he choked it away in the 4th. He is a young kid who is still learning. It's a lot of money, but the upside could be huge.

One of the big reasons I don't mind this deal is because the guy has a great work ethic. Barring injury he should only get better. I think we'll see huge strides from him this season (and I don't just mean huge strides running away from the opposing team's defenders).

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point did you win, according to you?

when he realized that he was arguing from a stupid position and decided to claim he won and run back to the safety of the 9ers board.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's wishful thinking.
If that did happen I know an agent who would never have another client in football ever again LOL.

I was thinking they would sign Wilson with a package of Lego's, an old Gameboy and one of those cute little toy xylophone's.

toyxylophone.jpg

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you say he is a top 10 QB so it MUST be true. I don't like the Romo signing, never did.

Anything else you want to try to deflect to?

My fave was that Kaepernick "helped the team by only taking a $12M signing bonus." :L Wow, what a guy!

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
well to be honest. Harbaugh pretty much handcuffed himself to Kap when you guys dealt Smith. really doesn't have much choice in seeing this through, & since the niners wouldn't have a better option it was wise to sign him now rather than wait for the price of QBs to go up. If you are gonna have him as your starter for the next 4 years you have no choice but to sign him long term. At least you are reasonable about his short comings, & your hopes. I think he was more of a nightmare his 1st half of year. I think teams have adjusted to him the next year. Don't think Teams think of him as a nightmare right now.

He chose Kap over Smith, and his team has been one of the top 4 teams the past two years with Kap at the helm. Again he knows more than I or anyone else typing here, so I will lean toward his thoughts over anyone on here.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, cause paying guys like Flacco, Stafford, Romo, and Cutler $18 million+ a year didn't screw the market up. Nope, this is the one that did it.

Did they get the contract after roughly 25 games?

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
and you better bet you ass teams think he is a nightmare to play against. Just ask them. Or I guess read what they say about defending him.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the big reasons I don't mind this deal is because the guy has a great work ethic. Barring injury he should only get better. I think we'll see huge strides from him this season (and I don't just mean huge strides running away from the opposing team's defenders).

well I hope the contract doesn't flop due to injury. Running QB's don't have a solid history though.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, cause paying guys like Flacco, Stafford, Romo, and Cutler $18 million+ a year didn't screw the market up. Nope, this is the one that did it.

All those QBs have played for years, what you see is what you get. Kaep isn't getting paid for how he performed, he is getting paid based on a projection that he'll be a Steve Young rather then a Michael Vick. It's a reach, but the 49er choose to not have a backup plan. They could of drafted a QB with some upside this year but decided to go all in with Kaep, thus forcing them to over pay on a projection that may never come about.

Truthfully , they should have just waited to resign him. No need to push all their chips in on a hope.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
My fave was that Kaepernick "helped the team by only taking a $12M signing bonus." :L Wow, what a guy!

Well that is true. It left room to extend Crabs this year, or maybe redo Vernon's or Alex Boone's contracts. He actually wanted his contract that way. Now it would be great if he signed for $5 mill less a season to help out even more, but at least he did that when he didn't have to.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, over $16M so that makes it actually cheaper than what you just guaranteed him.

I'm not sure that saving $2 million/year is worth all the bad will that the franchise tag would've engendered. I think that's a big reason why franchise tags aren't used that often. This season there are only six players under a franchise tag, and none of them are quarterbacks.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
All those QBs have played for years, what you see is what you get. Kaep isn't getting paid for how he performed, he is getting paid based on a projection that he'll be a Steve Young rather then a Michael Vick. It's a reach, but the 49er choose to not have a backup plan. They could of drafted a QB with some upside this year but decided to go all in with Kaep, thus forcing them to over pay on a projection that may never come about.

Truthfully , they should have just waited to resign him. No need to push all their chips in on a hope.

He IS getting payed by what he HAS done, and what the 49ers THINK he CAN become. Its both, not one or the other.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
well I hope the contract doesn't flop due to injury. Running QB's don't have a solid history though.

Romo doesn't run and he gets injured. Same with Rogers, Brady, Manning, and a host of others. Kap is also a hell of a lot bigger than Vick or RGlll

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure that saving $2 million/year is worth all the bad will that the franchise tag would've engendered. I think that's a big reason why franchise tags aren't used that often. This season there are only six players under a franchise tag, and none of them are quarterbacks.

My point wasn't it would save $2m a year. It saved you a TON this year, then $2M next year and gives you two years to see if he can take the next step. 3.5 years is a very solid body of work to be judged on.

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo doesn't run and he gets injured. Same with Rogers, Brady, Manning, and a host of others. Kap is also a hell of a lot bigger than Vick or RGlll

None of those guys got hurt when they ran when they were his age, so weak comparison. Kaep can't read a defense the way those guys can, either. And that is what a QB needs to be able to do.