• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick signs extension

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it's not just that it's a year-to-year deal. $2 million per year in likely de-escalators. $2 million per year in per game bonuses. If he doesn't play at a high level, it's not all that much money for a starting QB.

And saying Kap's success comes from big plays with his legs is as inaccurate as saying Wilson only makes plays outside the pocket. Probably more so.

I think he only needs to get to the SB or become all-pro 1 time in order for him to get all 12 million in de-escalators guaranteed.

Now, I agree with you that it's extremely unlikely to happen. No way you guys make it to a SB.

:-)

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? Any team would be wise to sign players to this sort of contract, regardless of how much faith they have in a player. That's not to say the Niners have faith in Kap. Just that the structure of the contract alone doesn't prove they don't IMO.

That's fine. I agree.

Curious why none of the other big contracts have similar de-escalators though. I mean if it makes sense for Kaep, why not everyone else?

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh c'mon Harold. If most starting QBs go down (especially in the NFC West unless you're Bradford who is just destined to go down anyway) you're F'd. It's a bad contract because Gabbert is bad? Are you kidding me? If Kaep starts sucking they would cut him in the offseason and bring someone else in or draft. And who knows Gabbert could get developed. They should start with taping his eyes open so he doesn't close them when throwing when defenders are in the vicinity... but I digress.

And it's a good clause because like Wilson the legs are a BIG part of their game. It's a threat if anything and Wilson uses his a lot to run around like a chicken with his head cut off in the backfield. If those legs go, yikes. Or if Kaep remains an 80s QB rating or digresses, you get rid of him. If he continues to play like he does, it's a solid signing. 90+ rating QBs THIS day and age do command that money. Except at least the 9ers have a way out with him should he blow his assets.

C'mon man.

Was Sherman a bad contract because if he gets injured we have Tharold Simon or Jeremy Lane playing? *sigh* Look I hate the 9ers, but it's a solid contract. Take off the blinders yo.

Well said.

I think some of your fellow Seahawk buddies are obligated to think everything the 49ers front office does is bad simply because we're your rivals.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it's not just that it's a year-to-year deal. $2 million per year in likely de-escalators. $2 million per year in per game bonuses. If he doesn't play at a high level, it's not all that much money for a starting QB.

And saying Kap's success comes from big plays with his legs is as inaccurate as saying Wilson only makes plays outside the pocket. Probably more so.

Well I can agree that the de-escaltors are a good deal for the 49ers, but disagree with " If he doesn't play at a high level, it's not all that much money for a starting QB." it's a butt load of money even with the de-escaltors IMO, for someone not playing at a high level at QB.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I can agree that the de-escaltors are a good deal for the 49ers, but disagree with " If he doesn't play at a high level, it's not all that much money for a starting QB." it's a butt load of money even with the de-escaltors IMO, for someone not playing at a high level at QB.

Over the next 3-4 years Kaep will make middle of the pack starting qb money. He is better now than some who will be making more, and he has game changing potential that few others have. Even his highest cap years will be low in comparison to many others after the next round of qbs rookie deals expire. Perhaps you view Kaep as the next Tim Tebow? I wanted them to wait a year before locking him up as, but I never expected us to be able to sign him to such a team friendly, cap friendly deal, so i'm more than happy with how things played out.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like a great incentive driven contract where both parties stand to benefit.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think he only needs to get to the SB or become all-pro 1 time in order for him to get all 12 million in de-escalators guaranteed.

Now, I agree with you that it's extremely unlikely to happen. No way you guys make it to a SB.

:-)

Yes, as soon as he hits one of them, he gets that $2 million for the rest of the contract. I feel confident saying the all-pro won't happen. We just don't have that type of offense. Making the super bowl is certainly possible, but he's going to have to play better than he did last year, IMO. Even though Rogers and Brown weren't exactly elite, I can't see our CB play improving this year. Hell, right now it's looking like Chris Cook could be starting. No Bowman for the first half of the year, Smith and McDonald a year older...our D is very unlikely to be as good.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Not in the context of what QBs are making these days. I'm willing to bet that by this time next year, he's not in the top-8 of QB contracts without cancelling out one of the de-escalators.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in the context of what QBs are making these days. I'm willing to bet that by this time next year, he's not in the top-8 of QB contracts without cancelling out one of the de-escalators.

Maybe, it seems like Qbs now a days get too big of a slice of the teams total cap money. I know their the most important position, but with the salaries they are pulling down, you just can't be wrong on your starting QB, once they get past their rookie contract.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe, it seems like Qbs now a days get too big of a slice of the teams total cap money. I know their the most important position, but with the salaries they are pulling down, you just can't be wrong on your starting QB, once they get past their rookie contract.

I don't disagree, but it is what it is.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We were paying Alex Smith something around 8 mil per like 3 years ago and he doesn't have half the potential that Kap has while also showing less production. What do you consider a "high level"? If you look at stats, then RW and CK will both never be an All-Pro based on the offenses they play in, so the individual escalators would never catch. If we go to the Super Bowl, then he's worth every penny he gets. I don't really see what your point is here. This isn't Todd Maranovich or Jeff George we are talking about, where CK has underachieved. This is a guy who is dynamic and effective at the QB position with the physical tools to take a game over.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were paying Alex Smith something around 8 mil per like 3 years ago and he doesn't have half the potential that Kap has while also showing less production. What do you consider a "high level"? If you look at stats, then RW and CK will both never be an All-Pro based on the offenses they play in, so the individual escalators would never catch. If we go to the Super Bowl, then he's worth every penny he gets. I don't really see what your point is here. This isn't Todd Maranovich or Jeff George we are talking about, where CK has underachieved. This is a guy who is dynamic and effective at the QB position with the physical tools to take a game over.

My point is that now the 49ers are paying Kaep big bucks and they need him to turn into the next Steve Young, not the next Micheal Vick. At this point, that is up in the air. Ideally once a QB gets to his second contract, you like to know what your getting. Obviouslly the 49ers are betting he starts using his arm more and his legs less, but it's still up in the air isn't it?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that now the 49ers are paying Kaep big bucks and they need him to turn into the next Steve Young, not the next Micheal Vick. At this point, that is up in the air. Ideally once a QB gets to his second contract, you like to know what your getting. Obviouslly the 49ers are betting he starts using his arm more and his legs less, but it's still up in the air isn't it?

Yes, I would say it is up in the air the same way it is up in the air with RW. Very talented, albeit young, signal callers who have gotten better each year. At their respective floors, they are upper middle of the pack just based on their skill sets right now. If they develop their pocket passing and progressions, they would most assuredly be Top 10, even Top 5 QBs. Second contract status is typically for guys who have a proven track record. Kaep has started two seasons, if you count playoff starts, and has been a game changer...with some stuff to work on for sure. Comparing him to Michael Vick is not accurate because Vick isn't accurate. Steve Young would be an accurate assessment as those old enough can remember his first games with the Niners, where he ran if his first and maybe second option weren't available. Obviously I would love Kaep to be more like the Steve Young of the early-mid 90's, where he was winning MVP trophies, but time will tell.

But a contract like the one that Kaep just signed makes it so that he truly has to EARN his paycheck and otherwise, he is being paid middle/upper echelon level, which is his floor based on his first two years in the league. I know you SEA fans despise Kaep, but he in essence did exactly what your homies on the SEA board were convinced he wouldn't do, which was to give the Niners an extremely Kap friendly (see what I did there?) deal, one that is extremely fair and allows himself to prove his worth. If he gets the max contract, then the Niners have either an All-Pro QB and/or have won a Super Bowl, both of which he would have earned every penny.

I feel as if SEA fans discount this contract as their way to marginalize the amount of crow they have to ingest regarding the implications that Kaep was an idiot who was more concerned with bling then his craft. Like I said earlier, Kaep did exactly what SEA is hoping that RW does, despite the bullshit accusations regarding his perceived character on the SEA board and this main board.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks have another year to find out what they are getting with RW. Another solid year of playing the position, should remove any doubts about him IMO, yeah maybe I'm looking thru rose colored glasses, but that's how I see it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, I would say it is up in the air the same way it is up in the air with RW. Very talented, albeit young, signal callers who have gotten better each year. At their respective floors, they are upper middle of the pack just based on their skill sets right now. If they develop their pocket passing and progressions, they would most assuredly be Top 10, even Top 5 QBs. Second contract status is typically for guys who have a proven track record. Kaep has started two seasons, if you count playoff starts, and has been a game changer...with some stuff to work on for sure. Comparing him to Michael Vick is not accurate because Vick isn't accurate. Steve Young would be an accurate assessment as those old enough can remember his first games with the Niners, where he ran if his first and maybe second option weren't available. Obviously I would love Kaep to be more like the Steve Young of the early-mid 90's, where he was winning MVP trophies, but time will tell.

But a contract like the one that Kaep just signed makes it so that he truly has to EARN his paycheck and otherwise, he is being paid middle/upper echelon level, which is his floor based on his first two years in the league. I know you SEA fans despise Kaep, but he in essence did exactly what your homies on the SEA board were convinced he wouldn't do, which was to give the Niners an extremely Kap friendly (see what I did there?) deal, one that is extremely fair and allows himself to prove his worth. If he gets the max contract, then the Niners have either an All-Pro QB and/or have won a Super Bowl, both of which he would have earned every penny.

I feel as if SEA fans discount this contract as their way to marginalize the amount of crow they have to ingest regarding the implications that Kaep was an idiot who was more concerned with bling then his craft. Like I said earlier, Kaep did exactly what SEA is hoping that RW does, despite the bullshit accusations regarding his perceived character on the SEA board and this main board.

:agree:

This is exactly the sort of contract Kaepernick said he wanted to sign. He was then panned all over the place when rumors came out that he wanted a Flacco type contract. Well, this contract is MUCH more favorable to the Niners than Flacco's contract was to the Ravens. A couple Hawks fans are looking for any reason to pan this contract. The reality is that Kap was going to get paid, whether it was this year or next. If he completely implodes this year - which is the only scenario in which he wasn't going to get big money next year - they can walk away from the contract. If he's great, he'll earn the contract.

The biggest issue, by far, would be if his progress stalls. If he doesn't improve, or improves negligibly, then you face the issue that the Cowboys, Bears, Lions, and Ravens faced. What do you do with a player who is good - clearly at or above average at the most important position in the game - but is not one of the elites? Well, about 10 teams in the league face that very same question on an annual basis. 10 more know their QB is not the guy. And five or six have players who are too early in their career to answer it one way or the other. Unlike the teams listed above, the Niners can at least get out of this contract if they want to.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seahawks have another year to find out what they are getting with RW. Another solid year of playing the position, should remove any doubts about him IMO, yeah maybe I'm looking thru rose colored glasses, but that's how I see it.

Maybe. There's no doubt they're lucky they have the additional year to examine RW. I'm not convinced he's going to prove he's among the elite next year, though, which would put them in a similar position as the Niners this year. We'll see. Obviously it would make the Hawks' job much easier if he has an incredible season, but I think he's still got to grow a lot as a passer. His final game is overshadowing some very real struggles during the season and in the playoffs.

If Lynch plays as well as he did last year, there are going to be very real questions as to whether RW can succeed without that kind of rushing attack to lean on - to say nothing of the defense. The Niners have a good running game, and I love Frank Gore, but he is no longer anywhere near the threat Lynch is on a per-carry basis. That really helps the Hawks' lethal play action game. And yes, I know Seattle's backups look promising. But Adrian Peterson is the only guy in the NFL who can come close to matching Lynch's physicality, and unless that OL improves pretty dramatically, a less physical back is going to have a lot of trouble making headway.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

The 9ers are gambling and projecting a bit but if they wait around until he proves himself they wouldn't be able to get him at the contract that they did.

That's why it's a good deal for the 9ers because they mitigate the gamble by being able to slip out of the deal at any given year.

So from the 9ers perspective if he gets the full amount from the contract that means he's playing at an elite level. And they still could save money even if he does play at an elite level because if the team misses the Super Bowl and he doesn't get All-Pro (unlikely due to the style of offense played) he still triggers the de-escalator.

And if he bombs they can draft another guy and move on from him without it severely crippling the team.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You guys will have another season to see RW and if he has gotten better as a QB, which will help immensely but still carries a bit of risk. However, that extra year is a luxury I wish we had, and I fully expect SEA FO to act accordingly. The thing that is the variable is what RW will say about his contract. Kap, from the first time his contract was brought up, has said that he wants fair market value but also not fuck the team over from signing other players. He did exactly what he said he was going to do. The next step will be to get RW to talk about his contract situation and see if he doesn't tip his hand.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 9ers are gambling and projecting a bit but if they wait around until he proves himself they wouldn't be able to get him at the contract that they did.

That's why it's a good deal for the 9ers because they mitigate the gamble by being able to slip out of the deal at any given year.

So from the 9ers perspective if he gets the full amount from the contract that means he's playing at an elite level. And they still could save money even if he does play at an elite level because if the team misses the Super Bowl and he doesn't get All-Pro (unlikely due to the style of offense played) he still triggers the de-escalator.

And if he bombs they can draft another guy and move on from him without it severely crippling the team.

To me, this is the most impressive part of the contract. I imagine most QBs will demand high dollar multiyear deals with guaranteed $$$. Wishful thinking that Kaep's contract will set the standard for how future contracts for QBs are written.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read an article breaking down his contract to the little details and actually am impressed by the deal for the 49ers. Kaep is taking a huge chance on himself which is fine but he has made it to where he has to perform at a very high level to even get close to making top dollar from this contract. From what I have read his deal is money wise around that of Romo, Cutler, and Flacco but with a big chunk of it more wrapped up in actual playing ability and time on the field compared to just actual guarantees like that of the other 3. The fact that 2 of those 3 have been injured quite a bit yet Kaep is the guy having to sign a contract forcing him to have to play to get paid is very smart by the 49ers.

Also just reading through a bunch of this post it does crack me up how little people on this board know about contracts and how they function. Any time you see a big number come out in a contract signing you should automatically assume it actually was a contract more favorable to the team than the player. Agents of the player are the ones who release that top dollar in hopes of attracting future clients and making themselves look good for getting such a high dollar contract. Problem is no player is going to see that top dollar. A good chunk of those contracts are incentive based usually with the standards set so high that very few players could ever come close to earning them. Same goes for the guaranteed money of the contract in that just because it has the word guaranteed next to it doesn't actually mean it is guaranteed. Went through this with some of the Bronco players that they signed this off season in the high numbers on the contracts don't mean a thing.