• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick or Sanchez?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would have sounded really ridiculous before Oz and Manning departed but.....
Both came out of really bad coaching situations.....
Both have shown something in the past....
If you can justify Kaep being enough, playing for a better organization, etc. It would seem that an equally valid point could be made for either.
Do you commit to Kaep to avoid more psychological damage to him or do you let them compete for the job?

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that Kap has a greater ceiling, so I'm not opposed to acquiring him. It wouldn't be the worst thing and let them duke it out to see who can best run Kube's relatively boring O. ;)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Competition - makes everyone better.

Kaepernick actually would be very tough to defend. I have to say Sanchez looks committed - I'm kind of rooting for him -too.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does denver need sanchez and kaepernick?
If they trad for kap can't they save $4.5 mm but cutting Sanchez?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What if Kaep gets hurt? Yes - the Broncos can cut Sanchez, but they won't do that unless Kaepernick beats him out and Siemian also beats him out.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After trading a pick for Sanchez, however low that pick was, I seriously doubt Denver would cut him unless he was completely terrible & beat out by their 3rd stringer. As Denver's last season proved, teams need reliable backup QBs in case the starter gets injured & misses a few games.

Denver's problem is that they are in a cap crunch. That means they are basically stuck in limbo till this deal is approved or officially 100% dead.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After trading a pick for Sanchez, however low that pick was, I seriously doubt Denver would cut him unless he was completely terrible & beat out by their 3rd stringer. As Denver's last season proved, teams need reliable backup QBs in case the starter gets injured & misses a few games.

Denver's problem is that they are in a cap crunch. That means they are basically stuck in limbo till this deal is approved or officially 100% dead.

Exactly my point. Denver is up against the cap. Not to mention Manning dead money for incentives, How many teams have a backup at $4.5MM?
Arizona? and who else. For a team that seems to want Kap to start why not have the guy you want 1st string.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly my point. Denver is up against the cap. Not to mention Manning dead money for incentives, How many teams have a backup at $4.5MM?
Arizona? and who else. For a team that seems to want Kap to start why not have the guy you want 1st string.

$3-4 mil is the going rate for most veteran backup QBs. And there are a few backups making $5-7mil.

It is far better to have a slightly overpaid experience backup QB on a championship roster than it is to run with an inexperienced QB to save a few mil.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost want to say I'd rather we see what we have in Siemian over Sanchez or Kaepernick. But picking between the two, I'd prefer the guy that hasn't buttfumbled.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When looking at Kaepernick, I think we first must look at what has transpired with the 9ers since he was drafted ..

The situation could be compared to the McDaniels era here in Denver, but probably worse as far as stability

From the ownership on down thru the coaching staff to players getting arrested, leaving, retiring prematurely ( Chris Borland, Patrick Willis )

We saw first hand what Vernon Davis could do on the field, and that was Kap was dealing with ....

What I'm saying is that over the past few years, the 9ers have been a disaster, and I will not base my expectations on what Kap can do on these past few years ..

I like him a lot as the QB of the Broncos

You gotta remember, under Harbaugh, Kap was looking as if he was going to be the next great 49er QB ... He took that team to the Super Bowl when he was inserted as the starter midway thru the season ..

I think this Bronco offense could be completely turned around with him ..

I'd be ecstatic if we finally get him here

Last edited:

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$3-4 mil is the going rate for most veteran backup QBs. And there are a few backups making $5-7mil.

It is far better to have a slightly overpaid experience backup QB on a championship roster than it is to run with an inexperienced QB to save a few mil.

Wonder why they don't cut Colquitt and save 2.5 MM (3.25 MM - 750K in dead money) cut Sanchez, sign Kap and then sign a backup like Hoyer.

Say you get Hoyer for $3MM, saving $1.5 from Sanchez and adding in the $2.5 MM you save by cutting the punter.

I think it's simple to come up with the $4MM to sign Kap. Elway must really think Kap he will be cut and SF will pay the difference.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost want to say I'd rather we see what we have in Siemian over Sanchez or Kaepernick. But picking between the two, I'd prefer the guy that hasn't buttfumbled.
Even if that same guy has been to two AFC Championship games?

One play shouldn't define a player.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To define a player like that is sad .

primetime714

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't. Its just a symbol for the type of QB Sanchez is, one that turns the ball over a lot. And he's shown that at his best he is a guy that can be carried to an AFC championship team by a strong defense and running game.

The body of his career speaks for itself. Let's remember that he was also the backup for a non-playoff team the past two years playing behind a guy to my recollection has never made the playoffs.

Living in the NY area I would tell my friends who were Jets fans all the time that they had no chance with Sanchez as their QB. I say the same thing now to all of you here. If he is the Broncos QB all I can say is I hope he somehow proves me wrong and finds new life here, but nothing I've seen from him (in many games) indicates that he gives us much of a chance even if our defense plays at a relatively similar level next year.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first question would be Kaep being 100%healthy. If so, I think he could bring an interesting dynamic to this offense.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't. Its just a symbol for the type of QB Sanchez is, one that turns the ball over a lot. And he's shown that at his best he is a guy that can be carried to an AFC championship team by a strong defense and running game.

The body of his career speaks for itself. Let's remember that he was also the backup for a non-playoff team the past two years playing behind a guy to my recollection has never made the playoffs.

Living in the NY area I would tell my friends who were Jets fans all the time that they had no chance with Sanchez as their QB. I say the same thing now to all of you here. If he is the Broncos QB all I can say is I hope he somehow proves me wrong and finds new life here, but nothing I've seen from him (in many games) indicates that he gives us much of a chance even if our defense plays at a relatively similar level next year.

I remember similar discussions when Jake Plummer came to Denver. There's a LOT to be said for coaching. Sanchez recent performances may also reflect what kind of coaching he had access to.

Oh, and Sanchez may have had help getting to the AFC Championships, but he played a significant part too:

60.5% , 1155 yards, 9TD, 3 INT. Those were his playoff stats the two years he went to the AFCCG.

Anyway, we will see what develops. But life in the NFL is a lot like the stock market. Past performance doesn't necessarily guarantee future results