• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If the B1G expands, who would be your Top 5 candidate schools

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 5 would be

1. USF. Yes, their football at the moment sucks. Promote this school to the B1G and florida fb players will choose USF over UCF and some will choose them over Miami and FSU as the ACC can't compete with the B1G in football, overall. Without Clemson the ACC has struggled lately, now this year Clemson might struggle? If you wonder about this recommendation, check out USF's research rankings, their enrollment #s, their graduate and doctoral level output, oh, and of course their media footprint, not to mention the recruiting benefit B1G teams will get from playing several games down there in Florida every fall, and the same goes for all the other sports. Right now this school is basically overlooked because of it's sports teams not doing so well, but there are several sports that don't need help from adding another great team, some sports need a lesser opponent added to the mix, such as VB, wrestling, men's bb, and if there is a single school in the nation not right now in a P5 conference that has all the tools needed to make a big jump in sports talent levels it's the university built up from scratch by a UMner into what is now the University with the largest enrollment in the country in one of the richest recruiting grounds in the nation, and not a bad place to travel when wanting to see our favorite team in a road game. And think of all of those USF alumni out there in the country who would jump on their bandwagon if they all of a sudden became a B1G school.

2. Georgia Tech - Good research #s, some history of great sports, great media market get, would be close enough to USF to help reduce some of USF's travel expenses and teams that play 2 matches/games over a weekend can play GT and USF in the same trip south. Most people know what GT would bring to the Conf, so I'll leave it at this.

3. Boston Univ - Good research #s, only add in sports is in hockey, that I am aware of. Good media footprint and unlike USF/GT, they wouldn't add much to travel expenses. I am aware that they don't have football right now, but they used to have it and the stadium they used is still in use, so the prospect of playing in the B1G would probably make it worth it for the school to upgrade or replace that location. This would be another team not adding strength to the top of the B1G, but what most cfb fans or college sports fans in general do not understand about the B1G is that the research dollars are where the real money is. We tried adding a lower tier academic/research school when we added Nebraska and look how that worked out for us. Nebraska's sucked in football basically the entire time since joining the B1G. So was it worth it to lower our standards for sports? Not easy to raise up and build up a better research dept at a college, but sports? In some sports it takes just one super star recruit to change everything for a program. I think of Michael Vick and VT. VT lived off of that for a long time. Well, I know this one is even more of a stretch than stealing GT from the ACC, but if the B1G want's to avoid bringing in another Nebraska, I think BU, long term, would bring plenty to the conference.

4. UAB - I'm going to keep on this Research theme. If you can't get Georgia Tech and their 785 million in research dollars, UAB is close geographically to USF and UAB is surprisingly bringing in 553 million in research dollars. But again, like USF, their sports suck. It's really hard to find schools good at both, most are already in the B1G or the Pac-12. But again I'll argue, it's easier to upgrade a school's sport programs than it is their research input.

Options left and their Research intakes

Kansas - 164 mil
Okla St - 152 mil
UConn - 181 mil
KSU - 183 mil
WVU - 175 mil
Hstn - 149 mil
NDm - 184 mil

Those are the schools who are arguably decent at sports.

CSU - 328 million. Their sports are not that good, but possibly better than UAB, and Colorado wouldn't be the worst media footprint.

Wash Univ in St Louis - 704 million. Do they have sports? lol

Did I miss anyone?

5. UNLV - lol. Kind of a joke, as they bring very little in research or sports or even in media footprint, but they'd reduce travel costs as flights to Vegas are the cheapest, and I'd just love making trips out there to see Gopher road games, lol.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southern Florida in the Big10? These conferences should maintain some semblance of being regional.

All-Star Benchwarmer

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,979.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 5 would be

Take care of Bowling Green first before posting this crap. If anything, get rid of Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska and the B1G conference heads who chose money over conference integrity. Rutgers and Nebraska came into the B1G thinking they were going to walk all over the conference and both are nothing to talk about. Rutgers and Maryland need to go to the ACC, and Nebraska needs to go back the shrinking 12

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southern Florida in the Big10? These conferences should maintain some semblance of being regional.
Well they went to the west coast instead. Why not Florida next?

I'd alter my Top 5 now that the Pac 12 schools are basically fair game. 3 of my Top 5 would be Stanford, UDub and Cali/Oregon. The other two would be GT and Virginia.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they went to the west coast instead. Why not Florida next?

I'd alter my Top 5 now that the Pac 12 schools are basically fair game. 3 of my Top 5 would be Stanford, UDub and Cali/Oregon. The other two would be GT and Virginia.
Uw, Oregon, and standford make sense, as does Virginia. Big10 has academic standards which 5hkse schools meet.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take care of Bowling Green first before posting this crap. If anything, get rid of Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska and the B1G conference heads who chose money over conference integrity. Rutgers and Nebraska came into the B1G thinking they were going to walk all over the conference and both are nothing to talk about. Rutgers and Maryland need to go to the ACC, and Nebraska needs to go back the shrinking 12

Rutgers thought they'd walk all over the BIG? Lol

All-Star Benchwarmer

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,979.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers thought they'd walk all over the BIG? Lol

Pretty sure this sentiment was posted in this forum a while ago (I was a long time lurker before joining) by scarletknight(?) It was during that tiny win streak Rutgers was on when the news broke they were joining the B1G.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting with the AAU requirement
The 3 cities with the biggest alumni population and large TV base would be a start

Both the SEC and the BIG Ten commissioners said in future expansion they would not want to reduce the Full Share
So schools like UVA are out, they bring no additional market
The BIG Ten already has Northern Virginia
Oregon has the population of Puerto Rico, small market
Can't give them credit for TV viewing in other locations the BIG already owns

The BIG also likes big schools, every alumni becomes a potential viewer
We are with the 4 big names moves Tx, Ok, UCLA and USC still far ahead of the SEC in student population
It's about 150k more vs the SEC and way above the other 3 P5 conferences
The BIG Ten is also the biggest exporter of alumni to other parts of the county.

They also like, after the AAU like to see large research spending
Shared research it a thing in the BIG
The academics vote 1st before it ever gets to the AD
Oregon spends next to nothing, $111m
Schools like Maryland well over a Billion

ND would probably get a pass on AAU and the big school deal

Forget ND for a minute
The locations with large BIG Ten alumni populations and TV markets are
Stanford and the bay area
They would probably overlook how small Stanford is
Colorado and Denver, 16 largest TV market
GT and Atlanta

Now why Stanford and never Cal
Cal you are asking for a mess
Some academics have tried to eliminate football
They spend a lot of time as a university Whining & Protesting
3+ states in the BIG are on the California travel ban list
That's public schools only
UCLA will treat travel as voluntary for coaches and players
Travel money not state money but BIG Ten money

Imagine some non rev Cal athletes & Coaches refusing to travel as a protest
And they will if it's the cause of the week
Just asking for the distraction

So Stanford, Colorado, GT and ND or NC, not both
ND looks to be revenue neutral, pretty good but not a loss if they are a Prima Donna distraction
The others may or may not bring Full Share to the table

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting with the AAU requirement
The 3 cities with the biggest alumni population and large TV base would be a start

Both the SEC and the BIG Ten commissioners said in future expansion they would not want to reduce the Full Share
So schools like UVA are out, they bring no additional market
The BIG Ten already has Northern Virginia
Oregon has the population of Puerto Rico, small market
Can't give them credit for TV viewing in other locations the BIG already owns

The BIG also likes big schools, every alumni becomes a potential viewer
We are with the 4 big names moves Tx, Ok, UCLA and USC still far ahead of the SEC in student population
It's about 150k more vs the SEC and way above the other 3 P5 conferences
The BIG Ten is also the biggest exporter of alumni to other parts of the county.

They also like, after the AAU like to see large research spending
Shared research it a thing in the BIG
The academics vote 1st before it ever gets to the AD
Oregon spends next to nothing, $111m
Schools like Maryland well over a Billion

ND would probably get a pass on AAU and the big school deal

Forget ND for a minute
The locations with large BIG Ten alumni populations and TV markets are
Stanford and the bay area
They would probably overlook how small Stanford is
Colorado and Denver, 16 largest TV market
GT and Atlanta

Now why Stanford and never Cal
Cal you are asking for a mess
Some academics have tried to eliminate football
They spend a lot of time as a university Whining & Protesting
3+ states in the BIG are on the California travel ban list
That's public schools only
UCLA will treat travel as voluntary for coaches and players
Travel money not state money but BIG Ten money

Imagine some non rev Cal athletes & Coaches refusing to travel as a protest
And they will if it's the cause of the week
Just asking for the distraction

So Stanford, Colorado, GT and ND or NC, not both
ND looks to be revenue neutral, pretty good but not a loss if they are a Prima Donna distraction
The others may or may not bring Full Share to the table
UCLA has already traveled to state(s) that are on the ban list, so that is not a show stopper.