• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick comments on Sherman

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good lord you are a homer fool. If you have nothing with even a minute level of relevance to add, just keep it to your self.

Yeah the guy who constantly predicts doom and gloom for the Niners should be the one to add to all conversations. Kaepernick was exactly right in what he said about it being a foot further it being a touchdown, or at worse an incompletion. Now as to if he should have said it is another story. But I'm sure Sherman could have just jumped over Crabtree to make the pick regardless huh? Damn what was I thinking..

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the guy who constantly predicts doom and gloom for the Niners should be the one to add to all conversations. Kaepernick was exactly right in what he said about it being a foot further it being a touchdown, or at worse an incompletion. Now as to if he should have said it is another story. But I'm sure Sherman could have just jumped over Crabtree to make the pick regardless huh? Damn what was I thinking..

LOL! Every time you open your mouth on the subject you look more of a fool. SOmeone take the shovel away from this clown so he can stop digging the hole he's made for himself.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was basically no way to complete that pass IMO. Sherman had good coverage and the back/side of the end zone had good coverage too. Kaep saying " if I had thrown it one foot higher it would have been complete" is false since that likely would have carried Crabtree out of the back/side of the end zone. Of course that still would have been a better option than what actually happened but saying that it would have been a TD is false IMO. Just very little chance for that play to end up in anything other than an INT or an incompletion

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! Every time you open your mouth on the subject you look more of a fool. SOmeone take the shovel away from this clown so he can stop digging the hole he's made for himself.

Gotcha, this is where I suppose to get mad and fire back right? Well since that has not worked in the past for others, proved by you still being here. And logic clearly is not your strong point, I'll let your prediction record stand for itself as a evidence of your football knowledge.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was basically no way to complete that pass IMO. Sherman had good coverage and the back/side of the end zone had good coverage too. Kaep saying " if I had thrown it one foot higher it would have been complete" is false since that likely would have carried Crabtree out of the back/side of the end zone. Of course that still would have been a better option than what actually happened but saying that it would have been a TD is false IMO. Just very little chance for that play to end up in anything other than an INT or an incompletion

Not saying it would be a td for sure by any means. But by Sherman's position he barely got a hand on it. Thrown a little higher Crabtree can still catch that ball with his arms outstretched... Not easy but definitely possible. Might even bait Sherman into a PI by running into Crabtrees back. All hypothetical of course. But if thrown one foot higher the one thing that wouldn't of happen for sure is a interception. (Unless Crabtree bobbles or something into their hands"

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying it would be a td for sure by any means. But by Sherman's position he barely got a hand on it. Thrown a little higher Crabtree can still catch that ball with his arms outstretched... Not easy but definitely possible. Might even bait Sherman into a PI by running into Crabtrees back. All hypothetical of course. But if thrown one foot higher the one thing that wouldn't of happen for sure is a interception. (Unless Crabtree bobbles or something into their hands"

I mean Crabs could have made a GREAT catch I guess but he came down with his feet barely in bounds as it was when you watch the replay. I just think another foot higher means he probably gets carried too far to come down with it. I mean he is just "mediocre" right??? LOL.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. You take that shot on 4th down, not on first down with your entire season on the line. You don't throw the ball up for grabs against the best DB in the league who has your man blanketed; especially if you are an inaccurate passer like Kaepernick. Not to mention you have three more downs at least, two timeouts and over 40 seconds to play. You are just wrong on this one.

If Harbaugh and Kaepernick both say this was the best play they could come up with then it shows you just how limited each is in knowing and implaementing a sophisticated passing game. Are you telling me there was no second option when the man is blanketed?

Joe Montana just echoed these words precisely on KNBR just now.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bullshit. He got his entire hand on the ball. That is why he was able to knock it back to the trailing LB. Sherman was exactly where he needed to be. There was no chance that ball gets completed.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha, this is where I suppose to get mad and fire back right? Well since that has not worked in the past for others, proved by you still being here. And logic clearly is not your strong point, I'll let your prediction record stand for itself as a evidence of your football knowledge.

That is a wise path before you lose any semblance of credibility you might have left.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is true it is a huge indictment of Harbaugh and Roman as coaches. To not have a second and third option on every pass play is inexcusable. That cannot be true; not at this level, not even at the high school level.

With the time outs and time remaining, I would have liked to see a pass thrown to Patton on the other side of the field. Would have been a safe pass. Maybe he gets only a couple of yards, but maybe he gets a miss and picks up more. Prefer the safer play at that point. Even if we scored on that play, we would have left time on the clock for Seattle's offense to try and gain yardage for a field goal.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. Sherman likes to play the trail position and bait you into throwing the ball. Had the ball been thrown to the back of the end zone, Sherman would have been there to defend it as well. he was all over Crabtree and would have gotten to the pass just as easily had it been thrown properly. What gets me, is the best we could hope for on that throw was an incomplete pass.

I know you are getting hammered here for your opinion, and I don't mean to pile on, but how you can say the decision was not a poor one, to me, is unfathomable.

To each his own I guess. I am saying that I have no problem with the play. If you are correct and Sherman was baiting him, then it should have been thrown out of bounds, and no harm done. The play was a good idea. I just think it is funny how this fan base has been complaining about conservative play calling for years, and then they don't play that way trying to get to the Superbowl and everyone is mad they didn't dump it off for 3 yards. Again, in hindsight that would have been the right play, but had the throw been better (or just out of bounds) we are probably going to the game anyway.

Don't worry about piling on man. I was the guy saying I wanted taylor mays in the first round. I thought he would be coached up and become really good. That was my first thread I ever created on the old boards and people were ripping me a new one. I guess they were right about that one.

I have no problem with people having different opinions and combating mine, just as long as people aren't talking shit to me over the internet like they are tough.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why are you, Kaepernick, and everyone else acting like Sherman is a stationary object? If the ball were on different trajectory, he would've adjusted his route, too. He wasn't stumbling, he wasn't slow, he was in front, and he's known as a good ball hawk. I think that no matter what it would've been an interceptable, deflectable ball that is likely incomplete or out of bounds. Given the results, of course I would elect for the alternative of being a foot higher, because anything is better than what happened. However, I don't think it's as simple as saying that if it was a foot higher he would've caught the ball.

Note: I am talking about the ball being "a foot higher." I'm NOT talking about it being a couple feet away at the pylon where only Crabtree could catch it. Even then, it's likely out of bounds, incomplete, deflected anyway, or uncatchable.

Obviously, there's a chance that he would have misjudged a ball that was 1 foot higher, but it's not given like they're acting like. I feel that Sherman was in his position because of where the ball was in the air and he barely made it by a full hand from where he decided to jump. I think that if it were higher, he might have adjusted his route because the ball being different place. Different jump. A pylon throw could be too far for him to adjust, but a foot? I wouldn't be ready to make that assumption.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you, Kaepernick, and everyone else acting like Sherman is a stationary object? If the ball were on different trajectory, he would've adjusted his route, too. He wasn't stumbling, he wasn't slow, he was in front, and he's known as a good ball hawk. I think that no matter what it would've been an interceptable, deflectable ball that is likely incomplete or out of bounds. Given the results, of course I would elect for the alternative of being a foot higher, because anything is better than what happened. However, I don't think it's as simple as saying that if it was a foot higher he would've caught the ball.

Note: I am talking about the ball being "a foot higher." I'm NOT talking about it being a couple feet away at the pylon where only Crabtree could catch it. Even then, it's likely out of bounds, incomplete, deflected anyway, or uncatchable.

Obviously, there's a chance that he would have misjudged a ball that was 1 foot higher, but it's not given like they're acting like. I feel that Sherman was in his position because of where the ball was in the air and he barely made it by a full hand from where he decided to jump. I think that if it were higher, he might have adjusted his route because the ball being different place. Different jump. A pylon throw could be too far for him to adjust, but a foot? I wouldn't be ready to make that assumption.

Bc Sherman can't run through Crabtree without a penalty. As the play stood he had to jump up and turn his back completely to Crabtree barely deflecting the pass with his left hand. If that's a foot higher Crabtree has half the end one to have the ball drop in and get his feet down or have it fall incomplete. Sherman is a great cornerback no doubt about it, but that was very lucky by him the way he played that ball to get his hand on it IMO. You don't "bait" someone on a play that could cost your team a trip to the Super Bowl.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To each his own I guess. I am saying that I have no problem with the play. If you are correct and Sherman was baiting him, then it should have been thrown out of bounds, and no harm done. The play was a good idea. I just think it is funny how this fan base has been complaining about conservative play calling for years, and then they don't play that way trying to get to the Superbowl and everyone is mad they didn't dump it off for 3 yards. Again, in hindsight that would have been the right play, but had the throw been better (or just out of bounds) we are probably going to the game anyway.

Don't worry about piling on man. I was the guy saying I wanted taylor mays in the first round. I thought he would be coached up and become really good. That was my first thread I ever created on the old boards and people were ripping me a new one. I guess they were right about that one.

I have no problem with people having different opinions and combating mine, just as long as people aren't talking shit to me over the internet like they are tough.

When Kaepernick has the experience, we could get the best of both worlds. I'm sure you've seen those maps of where quarterbacks throw the ball the most times. Most times it's within 7 yards and half those times it's behind the line of scrimmage. There really are very few shots down the field in an NFL game. Kaepernick is obviously capable of the whole field. Roman definitely calls a conservative game. But it is smart sometimes to take the check down. People complain when it was only check downs (in general). When we see the offense grow and use both, I don't think that people complain with the checkdowns, even when we see something that's downfield. We'll trust them more than we do now.

For the record, even playing a hypothetical game, I don't think anyone would've complained if Kaepernick had not thrown the ball the Crabtree in that situation. I think they would've complained if Patton caught the ball and went down inbounds and they did not call a timeout immediately. In general terms, people were going to complain with anything short of a victory. We would've been saying two turnovers instead of three.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As it stands, the ball is thrown about 3-4 yards in the end zone. There is still a lot of room back there. If it is thrown at the pile on then Sherman has to go through Crabtree to touch it. I don't think it comes down to it being a foot higher. I think the trajectory was off to begin with.

I mean Crabs could have made a GREAT catch I guess but he came down with his feet barely in bounds as it was when you watch the replay. I just think another foot higher means he probably gets carried too far to come down with it. I mean he is just "mediocre" right??? LOL.

Superbowls are won by players making great plays. Holmes, Tyree, Dwight Clark, Harris.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bc Sherman can't run through Crabtree without a penalty. As the play stood he had to jump up and turn his back completely to Crabtree barely deflecting the pass with his left hand. If that's a foot higher Crabtree has half the end one to have the ball drop in and get his feet down or have it fall incomplete. Sherman is a great cornerback no doubt about it, but that was very lucky by him the way he played that ball to get his hand on it IMO. You don't "bait" someone on a play that could cost your team a trip to the Super Bowl.

I disagree. I think these guys have played the game long enough that he did time his jump. I don't think we'll ever really agree 100% on this but I don't think that either of us will get in a shouting match. I've defended Kaepernick before. I rarely would defend Crabtree, but I don't call him out either. I let others handle credit or blame to him for his play in general.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Kaepernick has the experience, we could get the best of both worlds. I'm sure you've seen those maps of where quarterbacks throw the ball the most times. Most times it's within 7 yards and half those times it's behind the line of scrimmage. There really are very few shots down the field in an NFL game. Kaepernick is obviously capable of the whole field. Roman definitely calls a conservative game. But it is smart sometimes to take the check down. People complain when it was only check downs (in general). When we see the offense grow and use both, I don't think that people complain with the checkdowns, even when we see something that's downfield. We'll trust them more than we do now.

For the record, even playing a hypothetical game, I don't think anyone would've complained if Kaepernick had not thrown the ball the Crabtree in that situation. I think they would've complained if Patton caught the ball and went down inbounds and they did not call a timeout immediately. In general terms, people were going to complain with anything short of a victory. We would've been saying two turnovers instead of three.

I for one, love check downs. That means the QB is taking what the defense gives him and 9 out of 10 times you are getting a good 4-5 yards. The basis of my whole argument though, is what Harbaugh and Kap said. That was the play. They got the 1 on 1 with Crabtree and that is where the throw was going to go. So the progressions and reads mean nothing on this play because the decision was already made pre snap. Now if that is just something they said in defense mode, he probably should have checked down. But according to Harbaugh they got what they wanted and it was the right call. Just bad execution. Even an incomplete pass is considered good execution in that case.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it stands, the ball is thrown about 3-4 yards in the end zone. There is still a lot of room back there. If it is thrown at the pile on then Sherman has to go through Crabtree to touch it. I don't think it comes down to it being a foot higher. I think the trajectory was off to begin with.

Superbowls are won by players making great plays. Holmes, Tyree, Dwight Clark, Harris.

Yeah, a pylon throw would be much better. I'm just talking about the foot higher comment. If you throw the ball in a different place the defenders going to go to a different place but I think the pylon would be too far for Sherban to get to. A foot-higher, I'm not so sure. Again, I think that he would've jumped maybe a step later. By the way, I also give the benefit of the doubt to Crabtree in fighting for the ball if it were closer to him. I'm not just giving the benefit to Sherman.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of his comments make sense, some don't. If RS is really "Scared" of the Niners receivers, how come Kap barely threw to anyone RS was covering?

But he does make a great point in that if you need to tell someone you're the best, you probably aren't the best. Peyton Manning is the perfect example...he never says he's the best, but everyone else does.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, a pylon throw would be much better. I'm just talking about the foot higher comment. If you throw the ball in a different place the defenders going to go to a different place but I think the pylon would be too far for Sherban to get to. A foot-higher, I'm not so sure. Again, I think that he would've jumped maybe a step later. By the way, I also give the benefit of the doubt to Crabtree in fighting for the ball if it were closer to him. I'm not just giving the benefit to Sherman.

I agree with that. Where the ball was thrown is what doomed the play (to an INT) He threw it in a spot that gave sherman the easiest play on the ball.