• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Fields apology thread

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dislocated thumb on the throwing hand. Dont ever remember hearing a QB do that. I would think it would be multiple weeks for that to heal well enough to throw the football.
If the thumb isn't on his foot he should be good

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should shut Fields down for the season and quietly put out unofficial word that he is available.

He probably still has some value as a potential lottery ticket. Maybe a team would come in with 4th round pick and snag him. Maybe even give him a 4-5 game trial at the end of this season.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lamar is clearly a better qb than Fields but if he had this brain trust he'd not be a whole lot better.

That said Fields has very real flaws in his game that are potentially fatal flaws. The play he got injured on was not the lines fault.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lamar is clearly a better qb than Fields but if he had this brain trust he'd not be a whole lot better.

That said Fields has very real flaws in his game that are potentially fatal flaws. The play he got injured on was not the lines fault.

He made a 10 yard throw so poorly that he almost broke our starting RB's ankle...(High ankle sprain)

Eat ya heart out Cutlaaaaa

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
l
He made a 10 yard throw so poorly that he almost broke our starting RB's ankle...(High ankle sprain)

Eat ya heart out Cutlaaaaa

I'm struggling to see what you're seeing there. He avoided a sack that he had all of at best 1 second. He had the line beat only to run into what I assume was a LB spying on him (who didn't honor the pass due to the whole OL getting whooped part) and then had to make an off balance throw that the RB somehow managed to contort his body into spraining his ankle?

it wasn't a good throw...obviously. But for good reason.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields objective ranks

qb rating 12th
qbr 22nd
pff EPA 20th

No one is going to come out here and say he's had a good season. But there is a lot of bad qb play going on.

His qb rating is inflated by 2 games which are highly influenced by TDs for sure. So I won't argue he's that by any stretch. Bit I also don't think he's one of the five worst this year (especially considering backups) and he would undoubtedly be performing better in a different situation

But again...some of his flaws are pretty major. But....I don't think it's a hard job to build something for him to be consistently average or in that 18 to 22nd spot as his objective rankings hold.

The Browns are getting shit qb play minus one game and are 3 and 2.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it wasn't a good throw...obviously. But for good reason.

When this comment applies to a good chunk of a player’s career?!? Eventually the benefit of the doubt is not given. It was a bad throw that resulted in our RB getting injured. Period.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When this comment applies to a good chunk of a player’s career?!? Eventually the benefit of the doubt is not given. It was a bad throw that resulted in our RB getting injured. Period.

I am sure Bagent will come in and save the day

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would make one of us that believes so.

The Bears are set up nicely to have a huge draft in 2024 aside from some Caleb drama. It would make more sense for them to trade Justin now (it made even more sense for them to trade Justin at peak value in March or so) and tank the year out and solidify at least one of those picks.

But to me this article really highlights the disconnect that existed even after an encouraging turn for Fields...and it's this statement here

"
would just say that he uses his legs when necessary," Bears coach Matt Eberflus told CBS Sports at the combine. "If we have a designed run for him, certainly he's going to use it then, but in critical moments, third down, fourth down in the red zone, and he's done that. But normal down situations, we just really want him just to take what's given to him, and then when he learns to do that, he'll be a little bit more effective."

and Poles take

"
think we're excited about Justin's progress since the time we got into Chicago, and we want to build off of that," Poles told CBS Sports at the combine last week. "We really do. He showed the ability to be explosive as a runner, had flashes as a passer, and we both have been open talking about we want to see progress moving forward, and I know he does too. He's a hard worker. He's going to put the time in, so we're excited about that."

Tell me there is not a pretty sizeable disconnect on how those two would utilize Justin?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears are set up nicely to have a huge draft in 2024 aside from some Caleb drama. It would make more sense for them to trade Justin now (it made even more sense for them to trade Justin at peak value in March or so) and tank the year out and solidify at least one of those picks.

But to me this article really highlights the disconnect that existed even after an encouraging turn for Fields...and it's this statement here

"
would just say that he uses his legs when necessary," Bears coach Matt Eberflus told CBS Sports at the combine. "If we have a designed run for him, certainly he's going to use it then, but in critical moments, third down, fourth down in the red zone, and he's done that. But normal down situations, we just really want him just to take what's given to him, and then when he learns to do that, he'll be a little bit more effective."

and Poles take

"
think we're excited about Justin's progress since the time we got into Chicago, and we want to build off of that," Poles told CBS Sports at the combine last week. "We really do. He showed the ability to be explosive as a runner, had flashes as a passer, and we both have been open talking about we want to see progress moving forward, and I know he does too. He's a hard worker. He's going to put the time in, so we're excited about that."

Tell me there is not a pretty sizeable disconnect on how those two would utilize Justin?
It's the Bears. Doesn't matter who's coaching or who's in the front office. They just can never seem to get the QB position right. I mean, after all, their most successful in the SB era was Jim McMahon 40 years ago. That speaks volumes.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the Bears. Doesn't matter who's coaching or who's in the front office. They just can never seem to get the QB position right. I mean, after all, their most successful in the SB era was Jim McMahon 40 years ago. That speaks volumes.

I see so much of that as pure coincidence honestly. Yes there is a bit to consistency in leadership...100 percent but you had the Steelers with pretty mediocre qb play before Ben between him and Bradshaw and you couldn't get more stable than Pittsburgh.

Right now in that article I highlighted you have a coach going on record that his plan is to not utilize Justin the way he has to be in order to be a successful qb

And nowhere in this thread have I said I think Justin is some top 10 qb. He has big flaws. But when you have a qb that has his skillset you build an offense around it. Just like the Ravens did.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see so much of that as pure coincidence honestly. Yes there is a bit to consistency in leadership...100 percent but you had the Steelers with pretty mediocre qb play before Ben between him and Bradshaw and you couldn't get more stable than Pittsburgh.

Right now in that article I highlighted you have a coach going on record that his plan is to not utilize Justin the way he has to be in order to be a successful qb

And nowhere in this thread have I said I think Justin is some top 10 qb. He has big flaws. But when you have a qb that has his skillset you build an offense around it. Just like the Ravens did.
You gotta let go of Lamar and Fields being comparable.

Lamar lives for football.

He’s dumb as a stump. But he’s pure football.

He’s was born to do what he does. Fields can do can all kinds of things with his life. And he knows it. But he will never be Lamar Jackson.

Honus Wagner and Ty Cobb knew they were baseball players like Lamar knows he should take snaps.

tOSU has a promising young QB. He belongs. Let go of this one.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh has more yards and a better completion percentage.

Without prime Sweetness and that stellar D.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gotta let go of Lamar and Fields being comparable.

Lamar lives for football.

He’s dumb as a stump. But he’s pure football.

He’s was born to do what he does. Fields can do can all kinds of things with his life. And he knows it. But he will never be Lamar Jackson.

Honus Wagner and Ty Cobb knew they were baseball players like Lamar knows he should take snaps.

tOSU has a promising young QB. He belongs. Let go of this one.

For starters my interest is two fold in this

I was very much a Bears fan early in life because of their Super Bowl...not like the Browns but I definitely had two fav teams

and the obvious in that they drafted an OSU qb

I'm on record on a few things

Fields will never be Lamar (a top 10ish qb)

Fields has a 5 year shelf life

The Bears need to trade him and should've last year.

My comparison of him to Lamar is to indicate just how bad their current coaching staff is. That he looked at last year and said to himself "we really need to make Justin a qb that only runs when necessary.'

CJ is a better qb than Fields ever will be. I said back when he was at OSU he threw the most beautiful ball of any qb the Buckeyes have ever had. But while I want CJ to do well I'm almost just as interested as to how his success affects the S2 testing