• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

July 15th Deadline

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JPP, Houston, Thomas, and Dez Bryant are all looking for new deals. (Fat chance for JPP now)

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too optimistic about the Broncos and DT reaching agreement on a new contract. As much as I hope it happens, I'm not sure that it is possible to reach a deal that doesn't kill our cap. Really hope that Cody Latimer has a huge season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 PM ET is the official deadline, IIRC. We'll see what happens.

Any news on the Houston front? Lots on the DT and Dez front today it seems but haven't really heard much about Houston since he talked about holding out if he doesn't get a new deal.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any news on the Houston front? Lots on the DT and Dez front today it seems but haven't really heard much about Houston since he talked about holding out if he doesn't get a new deal.
CBSSports claimed there was significant progress. What that actually means in reality? Not quite sure.

A quote form the La Con. Article from Monday

Justin Houston may have the best chance of this group to actually put pen to paper this week on a long-term deal. The dialogue between him and the Chiefs has been long-ongoing, they have made significant progress and the Chiefs know that franchising him two years in a row is going to cost them well over $30 million over two years already.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd happily take some JPP in Seattle but we can't afford him. Firework accidents happen and doesn't sound like this injury will impact his career. It was stupid, but not like what he did was illegal, just unfortunate and ill advised.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd happily take some JPP in Seattle but we can't afford him. Firework accidents happen and doesn't sound like this injury will impact his career. It was stupid, but not like what he did was illegal, just unfortunate and ill advised.

Actually I think it will impact his career. Losing one finger might not sound like a huge deal as you have 9 others but actually losing one makes the other 4 in that hand that much weaker. So you not only lose the finger but lose strength overall as the range of motion and ability of the other fingers are all meant to work together and the body just doesn't know how to completely respond when one part of that message is missing. Now he lost probably the one finger that affects him the least as the pinky has been shown that if you lose it then you have lost about 50% of the strength in your hand. The index finger won't be quite as dramatic but still will have some effect on him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JPP, Houston, Thomas, and Dez Bryant are all looking for new deals. (Fat chance for JPP now)

If I were the Giants I'd attach JPP's franchise tag to a rocket, light it and launch into the air and watch it explode like his hand and NFL career over Met Life Stadium...

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the more underrated factors in JPP losing his finger is how much it will effect his ability to work out. Could potentially limit his strength with that hand/arm.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well The Chiefs are the first to get a deal done. They just signed Houston to a 6-year, $101 million deal that includes $52.5 million in guarantees. Richest contract for a linebacker in NFL history and I think is more than what JJ Watt makes.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think about the Houston deal?
Before checking all the details on the contract, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it would to give the same amount or more to Suh. The Cap for next year is still fairly healthy, so I am not terribly worried about cap Armageddon for now. Inflation complicates the comparison some between Watt's and Houston contract. This is true as well as when in their controlled arcs they signed; Pre-FA vs FT'ed.

Will be something for me investigate in more detail when I get home.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before checking all the detals on the contract, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it would to give the same amount or more to Suh. The Cap for next year is still fairly healthy, so I am not terribly worried about cap Armageddon for now. Inflation complicates the comparison some between Watt's and Houston contract. This is true as well as when in their controlled arcs they signed; Pre-FA vs FT'ed.

Will be something for me investigate in more detail when I get home.

It is true without the details of the contract hard to know what is actually the value of the contract. People forget that the word Guarantee doesn't really mean much. There are different types of guarantees in NFL contracts that players don't always see the full value of that $52.5 million in guarantees. Usually what is released to the media is that of what the agent tells them so of course they are going to make it look as big as possible. Throw in they usually say the whole first year's salary is guaranteed as of course the player is going to play so let's say he signed this deal with $15 million in signing bonus, a $6 million in base salary for year 1, and then a roster bonus for this year of another $5 million. That right there is already $26 million of the guarantees even though his actual cap hit would only be something like $14 million. The next year the only guarantees might be against injury for say $8 million or that if he is still on the roster the 5th day of the league year then his salary becomes fully guaranteed in year 2 and they add that to the guarantee money even though he never sees it if he is cut.