• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

JR Smith suspended 2 games; Olynyk 1; Perkins fined $15k

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all that I need is the picture. It says it better than anything I could possibly say.

Anyone that can possibly look at that picture and call it a basketball play is lying to themselves. 2+2=4 no matter what you try and say.

If the injury doesn't occur, then there certainly is no fine or suspension because that play happens in every game.
You can't argue with that , correct?

So, as Trojan correctly said , the suspension is only because of the result, which IMO is wrong for the NBA to do.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the injury doesn't occur, then there certainly is no fine or suspension because that play happens in every game.
You can't argue with that , correct?

So, as Trojan correctly said , the suspension is only because of the result, which IMO is wrong for the NBA to do.

I disagree. Some things are bad enough for intent alone to be punished. AKA.. throwing a punch at the back of someones head and missing should be punished.

Other things that may not warrant a punishment for intent alone... deserve punishment when your careless action causes harm to someone. If you're going to go around tangling peoples arms and pulling on them as part of your rebounding tactics... you risk injuring others. You are responsible for the consequences of your actions.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys used to have when the team came together 3 guys in the top 15-20 players in the league

Now arguably you dont have any. You have a few players that can be very good- but no longer have any one great- no longer have an elite player in his prime.

Thats what wins in the NBA.

who knows the next time the Heat will have an elite player in his prime- a true game changer that is among the best in the league.

I think Whiteside could easily join that category.

I agree the others aren't, but a roster that is very good, top to bottom that is loaded with a seasoned veterans as well as some good, energetic youth can certainly compete in the EC.
It won't take Riley long to make a big move though.
He always does.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Some things are bad enough for intent alone to be punished. AKA.. throwing a punch at the back of someones head and missing should be punished.

Other things that may not warrant a punishment for intent alone... deserve punishment when your careless action causes harm to someone. If you're going to go around tangling peoples arms and pulling on them as part of your rebounding tactics... you risk injuring others. You are responsible for the consequences of your actions.

Then Love should be suspended when he returns, because he locked arms first in that sequence.

It's either on purpose or not.
If it's deemed on purpose then he should be suspended for a lot more than 1 game.
One game says what?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then Love should be suspended when he returns, because he locked arms first in that sequence.

It's either on purpose or not.
If it's deemed on purpose then he should be suspended for a lot more than 1 game.
One game says what?

?

The whole point of my post was that - beyond intent - sometimes the outcome of your actions matter.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?

The whole point of my post was that - beyond intent - sometimes the outcome of your actions matter.

I disagree.
If they are jumping for a rebound and he lands on his foot and breaks his ankle, should the other player be suspended?

Of course not, because it's a basketball play.

It isn't like he just walked up to him, linked arms, and pulled.

It happened as an extended part of an attempted rebound, which is a basketball play.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.
If they are jumping for a rebound and he lands on his foot and breaks his ankle, should the other player be suspended?

Of course not, because it's a basketball play.

It isn't like he just walked up to him, linked arms, and pulled.

It happened as an extended part of an attempted rebound, which is a basketball play.

That's where we completely disagree. That is not a basketball play. And the regularity with which it happens has nothing to do with it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?

This is true, but as turnup pointed out, it was Love who initiated their arms getting tangled. Is he not also responsible for the outcome of the play since it was his action that initiated it?

After all, if Love doesn't initiate the action, maybe he doesn't get hurt.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true, but as turnup pointed out, it was Love who initiated their arms getting tangled. Is he not also responsible for the outcome of the play since it was his action that initiated it?

You just have a hard-on for the Cavaliers... :D

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get your point. Its not the tangling of the arms that is at the heart of the non-basketball play, for me. Its the pulling of the arm to keep Love from getting to the rebound that was the non-basketball play.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point. Its not the tangling of the arms that is at the heart of the non-basketball play, for me. Its the pulling of the arm to keep Love from getting to the rebound that was the non-basketball play.

Whether it's a true basketball play or not, bigs intentionally grab and pull at each others arms all of the time. That's not even disputable. So, while it may not necessarily be what most would call a true "basketball play," it is a very common play. If we're going to say that what Olynyk did wasn't a basketball play, then what Love did in initiating it was also not a basketball play.

I agree that the end result of the play matters and agree (begrudgingly) with the 1 game suspension. But let's not pretend that Love is an innocent victim and didn't create the situation that led to his injury when he initiated the contact.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where we completely disagree. That is not a basketball play. And the regularity with which it happens has nothing to do with it.

If it happens all the time, then how can it not be a basketball play ( locking arms).
I will agree that most of the times, when players untangle, there isn't a yank.
However, in no way do I believe the yank was done with intent to inure.
It was more like, ' give me my arm back'.

The suspension was given because of the result of the play.

How can anyone argue that?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it happens all the time, then how can it not be a basketball play ( locking arms).
I will agree that most of the times, when players untangle, there isn't a yank.
However, in no way do I believe the yank was done with intent to inure.
It was more like, ' give me my arm back'.

The suspension was given because of the result of the play.

How can anyone argue that?

I think Wiggy is the only one arguing against it. gordon has been saying it's the reason he was suspended.

Last edited:

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other things that may not warrant a p

If you throw a blow to the back of someone's head and miss you should be clowned for the rest of your life...:lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The foul obviously had to be harder than it looked though because the dude was assessed with a flagarant and ejected from the game and then suspended two more games. That's about as harsh as they have ever been in the playoffs. Normally flagarant 1 becomes a regular foul in the post season from what I have seen