• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Norman to Washington

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Norman was balling last year... Skins fans should feel pretty happy about this pick-up ...

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't the Redskins make this same exact mistake with another zone CB a few years back? I think they ended up cutting him & eating a big cap hit after year 2 of the deal.

I remember the Albert Haynesworth 100 mil contract for a DT that was a total bust.....
Norman got 5 yrs 75 mil with 50 mil guaranteed....with 1 good yr...Brilliant
Nothing's changed in DC except names....:tsk:

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only $36.6 mil fully guaranteed. $51 mil in the first three years.

J-Rod

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That man got paid hefty, good for him. I'm gonna enjoy the Norman vs. Beckham twice a year.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thinking about building a defense, starts with the front seven .......Denver proved that. Their CBs and safeties weren't all that good. If no pass rush....it doesn't matter who you have as DBs. But it's pretty difficult for a QB to complete as a pass when he's hurried or flat on his back.
Was it 51 million guaranteed? The Wash will pay for that one down the road.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just glad my Bears never got involved. Good player but not worth that kinda money. I'm hoping we work something out for Wilkerson, great young D line player.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/QUOTE]

Norman was balling last year... Skins fans should feel pretty happy about this pick-up ...

Key word is "last" and Carolina's defense as a whole was a ton better then the Redskins. No guarantee this results into more wins for Washington.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm,

Well doesn't appear it was any bad blood with Carolina, just simply cash.

That said, I think this is a good signing for Washington. High priced free agents seldom work but Josh Norman can be released once he's 30 (post 2017) for only a $9M hit (but savings of $8M) and the following year for only $6M so not the end of the world. Structurally the contract makes sense although he'd have to be released prior to March 18' (otherwise all guaranteed for the year) but this is hardly an issue if Norman is crapping the bed like Nnamdi did for Philly.

So if Norman is a headcase or heavily regresses, The Redskins as an org will be fine (cap wise) but Snyder will suffer pocket book wise.

The Redskins D is nowhere close to Carolina's D but that may get shored up a bit this year and Norman fills a critical need. Getting Culliver back should help too but Norman is the #1 CB the Skins have needed for quite some time. Most mocks had the Skins taking at least 2 secondary players in the first 3 rounds, so this offers flexibility on some needed D-Line upgrades, in a draft loaded with D-Line. The Norman signing alone allows great flexibility here and plays to the draft strengths (where secondary falls a distant 3rd in my analysis - to DL/LBer).

Eh. I'll give it a B grade. Skins got the best free agent on the market (maybe spare Jeffrey who was never allowed to even hit), in a position of need, and it wont hurt the org that much if issues. $16M is IMO a bit too much for any non QB/DL player, so can't give an A grade.

Last edited:

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That remains to be seen. Norman is over-rated. I say that because he hasn't done it that long. He reminds me of the guy the Eagles signed from the Seahawks.

I am thinking down the same line SD, how many players have we seen leave our teams and others that were very good players in that system but were never noticed again ???
Norman hasn't proven anything yet IMO....But then we are talking about the Skins FO, Larry, Moe and Curley...:D

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Key word is "last" and Carolina's defense as a whole was a ton better then the Redskins. No guarantee this results into more wins for Washington.[/QUOTE]

No doubt, never a guarantee.... But looking at a lot of his 1 on 1 match-ups the guy does have skills ...

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will have the better year Amerson or Norman??

Rasta

Another KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't the Redskins make this same exact mistake with another zone CB a few years back? I think they ended up cutting him & eating a big cap hit after year 2 of the deal.

The Skins run a very similar cover 3 zone. The similarity in systems should make the transition easier. This isn't trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

From PFF....In the end, Washington added one of the league’s best cornerbacks weeks after free agency was all done and dusted and slotted him into a scheme that looks like a perfect fit for his skill-set.

It's really a 2 year deal as others have mentioned. Haven't we learned to never trust the first numbers you hear?

Overall, any big contract is a risk but as someone posted, Norman isn't a one year wonder. He was very highly rated in 2014 as well. Will he be as good in DC as he was in Carolina? Probably not. Carolina has more talent. He'll also be playing with a very good CB across from him in Breeland who has played very well against Dez and OBJ on his own.

This is hardly the same old Dan Snyder. How many huge signings have they had since Shanny was hired as coach? Djax hardly received a huge contract and he was a late signing after being cut. He's earned that contract. Cousin's numbers with him in the lineup are much better. One big signing in 7 years doesn't mean the Snyder of the early 2000's is back. McCloughan is making the calls.

Last edited: