• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Norman to Washington

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's your call? The Bosa? Ramsey? Or maybe the RB?
I've been all over Ramsey darn near since it was known we had the 4th pick. Danced when the rams and eagles came up 1&2 for the QB's.....now I fear SD takes or trades the pick for a ramsey selection. Worst yet...Ramsey is there and Jerry goes another direction. Can't see Elliott at 4 with two backs on the roster that don't play special teams. Your boy Alfred deserves better and I'm pulling for Dixon in round 3

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been all over Ramsey darn near since it was known we had the 4th pick. Danced when the rams and eagles came up 1&2 for the QB's.....now I fear SD takes or trades the pick for a ramsey selection. Worst yet...Ramsey is there and Jerry goes another direction. Can't see Elliott at 4 with two backs on the roster that don't play special teams. Your boy Alfred deserves better and I'm pulling for Dixon in round 3

I could see either Bosa or Ramsey being big for you, too early for a RB.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overpaid. Probably trying to make up for trading the G.O.A.T. CB Champ Bailey all those years ago.

Rasta

Another KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see if they go M2M with Norman or if they keep him on one side a la Sherman. Paying him that much makes me think that he's going to cover the #1 all day, every day.

The Skins rarely go man to man. They play a similar scheme to Carolina with a cover 3 where Carolina plays more of a cover 4. They did go man to man more at the end of the season when they had so many injuries that they were literally playing a WR that they converted to CB. Overall, it's a scheme similar to what he played in Carolina.

For those who keep rambling on about free agent disasters, please do a little research. Snyder is not in control of these decisions. It's McCloughan and the coaching staff. There haven't been any huge free agent signings since well before Shanny.

Also, it's not a 75M contract. The Skins can easily get out after 2 years. They overpaid a bit for one of the highest rated CB's the last 2 seasons. They overpay but get flexibility. But hey, let's just keep throwing out inflated numbers that the agents want people to hear instead of actually looking at the real numbers.

From the Washington Post beat writers....

The way things work within the franchise under Scot McCloughan, the general manager serves as the chief talent evaluator. McCloughan, Coach Jay Gruden and his assistants and team president Bruce Allen will confer, although McCloughan can and has overruled their opinions. McCloughan makes the final call on which players to pursue, and Allen and chief negotiator Eric Schaffer make it happen. Snyder, meanwhile, is kept abreast of plans, people within the organization said, but no longer is a key member of discussion meetings.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, it's not a 75M contract. The Skins can easily get out after 2 years.

In 2 years 15 million per year will look cheap for a top end corner, people who balk at the number don't realize as the salary cap goes up so will the contract numbers what look high now will be an after thought next off season. Top 5 cap hits for corners this year

Revis 17 million
Sherman 14.75 million
Trumaine Johnson 13.95 million
Haden 13.4 million
Peterson 13 million

And in 2015

Revis 16 million
Peterson 14.8 million
Brandon Carr 12.7 million
Sherman 12.2 million
Jonathan Joseph 11.75 million

He got what any top 5 corner hitting the free agent market would have got this off season. If it wasn't the Redskins i doubt it would be receiving half the attention it is(Not all their free agent signings turn out bad London Fletcher worked out well)

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2 years 15 million per year will look cheap for a top end corner, people who balk at the number don't realize as the salary cap goes up so will the contract numbers what look high now will be an after thought next off season. Top 5 cap hits for corners this year

Revis 17 million
Sherman 14.75 million
Trumaine Johnson 13.95 million
Haden 13.4 million
Peterson 13 million

And in 2015

Revis 16 million
Peterson 14.8 million
Brandon Carr 12.7 million
Sherman 12.2 million
Jonathan Joseph 11.75 million

He got what any top 5 corner hitting the free agent market would have got this off season. If it wasn't the Redskins i doubt it would be receiving half the attention it is(Not all their free agent signings turn out bad London Fletcher worked out well)
With the amount of Guaranteed money it wouldn't matter who signed him. It would be talked about.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the amount of Guaranteed money it wouldn't matter who signed him. It would be talked about.

36.5 doesn't seem like a lot compared to what other corners have received:noidea:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
36.5 doesn't seem like a lot compared to what other corners have received:noidea:
36.5 over two seasons, don't forget about the .5 roster bonus, if he's on the game roster all of 2017 there's another 1/2 mil, that would be 37M, if you break it down its 18.5M a season. Looks LIKE QB money to me.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap goes up by 9.2% so do the contracts players sign last off season both Revis and peterson signed 5 year 70+ million dollar contracts. looks like he actually got short changed to me should have held out for 76.5 million plus the guaranteed money isn't as good Revis got 39 million and Peterson got 47.3 million.

Its a pretty team friendly deal too if the Redskins don't like how he's playing they can cut him in 2 years with 9 million in dead money significant, but not really that bad. if things are going well and they need more cap space next season they can convert his salary to bonus to free up cap space for other signing and if they decide to keep him long term his contract is front loaded so his cap number will be declining as he gets older(assuming they don't restructure).

Last edited:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap goes up by 9.2% so do the contracts players sign last off season both Revis and peterson signed 5 year 70+ million dollar contracts. looks like he actually got short changed to me should have held out for 76.5 million plus the guaranteed money isn't as good Revis got 39 million and Peterson got 47.3 million.

Its a pretty team friendly deal too if the Redskins don't like how he's playing they can cut him in 2 years with 9 million in dead money significant, but not really that bad. if things are going well and they need more cap space next season they can convert his salary to bonus to free up cap space for other signing and if they decide to keep him long term his contract is front loaded so his cap number will be declining as he gets older(assuming they don't restructure).

Exactly. It's the going market for a top corner and like everything else the contracts keep getting larger. If he had been released in early March there would have been more teams involved and an even bigger deal.

Instead I need to read uninformed posts claiming it really was a $75 million dollar deal and that this is the "same old Redskins". You would think by now that fans would understand that the total value of any deal released by the agent is never the real number. But alas ignorant fans still exist I guess. And as I pointed out they haven't been the "same old Redskins" since 2010.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
36.5 over two seasons, don't forget about the .5 roster bonus, if he's on the game roster all of 2017 there's another 1/2 mil, that would be 37M, if you break it down its 18.5M a season. Looks LIKE QB money to me.
This is why most of the better teams stay away from acquiring high priced free agents. I prefer a draft and develop approach.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why most of the better teams stay away from acquiring high priced free agents. I prefer a draft and develop approach.
I agree, use low end Free Agents to fill a few holes and if you are ONE player away make a signing like Norman. Redskins are not ONE player away.

Reactions: GNG

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you both, signing a lot of expensive free agents has never worked. That's why I was happy the Giants fell into this trap just as the Eagles did a few years before.

But this was a huge hole and Washington had a lot of cap space, a result of signing lower profile value free agents in the past. True they are not one player away but they were a playoff team with a really bad secondary the past 4-5 seasons. Their emphasis is clearly to build through the draft now with SM in charge, his history should show that is not in doubt. But he will use free agency to fill specific holes. When a talent like this literally falls out of a tree unexpectedly just like with DJax it's smart to jump on the opportunity when it's there.

Last edited:

Rasta

Another KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, use low end Free Agents to fill a few holes and if you are ONE player away make a signing like Norman. Redskins are not ONE player away.

That's exactly what the Skins have done. An elite CB can make a difference and the Skins have huge amounts of cap space down the road. This isn't a terrible team tight against the cap in future years. This is a young team building it the right way signing an elite CB to pair with a very good young CB in Breeland.

And BTW, how many teams are 1 player away? Almost none.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what the Skins have done. An elite CB can make a difference and the Skins have huge amounts of cap space down the road. This isn't a terrible team tight against the cap in future years. This is a young team building it the right way signing an elite CB to pair with a very good young CB in Breeland.

And BTW, how many teams are 1 player away? Almost none.
So you think Norman is your SB piece? Good luck on your way to the Lombardi.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think this from Jerry Brewer describes the move the best...

As the NFL goes deeper into this age of passing, with rules that restrict too much physical play against wide receivers and offensive innovation that remains ahead of defensive resistance, it’s almost impossible to be competitive without paying special attention to the secondary. That truism should’ve been glaring this past postseason, when Denver and Carolina made it to the Super Bowl by putting on a modern-day defensive clinic. Both teams were great in the front seven, but their secondaries made them special. In the end, the Broncos won a championship by frustrating the greatness out of Tom Brady in the AFC title game and then Cam Newton in the Super Bowl.

So if you’re wondering why the Washington Redskinssprinted to pay former Carolina cornerback Josh Norman top dollar when he became unexpectedly available, consider those facts. There’s no way that this team, which allowed the eighth-most passing yards in the NFL last season (258 yards per game) and the 11th-worst passer rating (96.1), can continue to develop and repeat as NFC East division champion without improving its ability to limit pass-centric offenses.

Washington appears to be the latter now. It really does. The most important thing is the way the contract is structured. The five-year deal breaks down to a two-year contract with $36.5 million fully guaranteed, with options to go another three years for an additional $38.5 million. Eric Schaffer, the team’s vice president of football administration, helped negotiate a creative contract that gives the front office flexibility moving forward.

McCloughan won’t be hamstrung when it’s time to reward his draft picks. That’s why he can still say the franchise is building through the draft and supplementing in free agency. Washington didn’t sign Norman to be a savior. He won’t have to attempt to cover up so many holes that he can’t play to his standard. He’s a piece, a big piece, of the puzzle. There are more pieces to come, but Norman might expedite what could’ve been a long rebuilding process.

Could this move be a bust? Of course. There are no guarantees. But this time, the franchise won’t fail because it made a decision out of desperation. This front office knows what it has done. The fact that McCloughan’s plan is flexible inspires confidence, not trepidation. Rigid team-building is a loser’s approach.

“We’re always game-planning ahead,” McCloughan said. “We always want to be ahead of the curve. We’re going to take care of our own, and that’s the most important thing. We’re going to draft well, and we’re going to go forward.”

With Norman, they have a No. 1 cornerback to compete against Odell Beckham Jr. and Dez Bryant, two of the great wide receivers in a division that, when every team is healthy, can put up some passing numbers. Norman can be a vital part of raising the level of play for a Washington defense that allowed the fifth-most yards in the NFL last season.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team strikes out more than the Redskins on big Free Agents

Between me feeling Norman is overrated, and he signing in Washington, safe money is on this turning into a disaster

NP. If it does work out I am sure that the jerkoffs in your front office can figure out a way to coax the NFL into imposing some more bogus cap penalties. After all the Giants are not about playing fair.

Rasta

Another KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your reading comprehension is lacking. I point blank said that almost no team is one player away including the Skins. They're not near a Super Bowl team at the moment. Could they be in 2 years? Possibly. McCloughan has a track record of success and I trust him more than message board jockeys.

Sorry, I'm not freaking out about slightly overpaying an elite player at his position that has an out clause in 2 years. Norman was a top rated CB in 2014 and 2015. The Skins have plenty of cap space in future years. Before this deal, the Skins had 58M in cap space in 2017.

But hey, keep on worrying about something that is not a big deal. McCloughan is building the Skins exactly the way described. Drafting well and filling in the gaps. One signing at one of the most important positions doesn't mean he's not following that strategy.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your reading comprehension is lacking. I point blank said that almost no team is one player away including the Skins. They're not near a Super Bowl team at the moment. Could they be in 2 years? Possibly. McCloughan has a track record of success and I trust him more than message board jockeys.

Sorry, I'm not freaking out about slightly overpaying an elite player at his position that has an out clause in 2 years. Norman was a top rated CB in 2014 and 2015. The Skins have plenty of cap space in future years. Before this deal, the Skins had 58M in cap space in 2017.

But hey, keep on worrying about something that is not a big deal. McCloughan is building the Skins exactly the way described. Drafting well and filling in the gaps. One signing at one of the most important positions doesn't mean he's not following that strategy.
Aren't you a message board jockey. Best I can tell is his "Track Record" has ONE team in the SB with one win and one loss. Not bad but not quite a "Track Record" either.