• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Freeman=relevance for Greg Jennings and Co.??

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the signing by the Vikes of Josh Freeman, combined with the Ponder injury and Cassel's history of ineffective-ness, plus the fact Freeman was signed at over double what Ponder and Cassel are making; Can Josh Freeman bring Jennings, Rudolph, Simpson and/or Patterson onto the weekly fantasy radar?

My first thought is yes, although it's going to take a few weeks, and unfortunately the Vikes already had their bye, so no free weeks to get familiar with the offense. Granted, the Vikes will always hinge on getting Peterson the ball, and it's not like Freeman was stellar the past couple years. But, Tampa was also a primarily run based offense, and he did well enough to keep VJAX and Mike Williams in the picture. So once he gets at least half the playbook down, I think Jennings goes from bench material to a Marco pay WR2 or decent flex, Rudolph should be a weekly option again, and there might even be hope of Patterson finally showing enough to warrant a spot on the end of your bench.

Anyone else?

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with you here. Freeman's problem isn't skillset, it was between the ears. It was apparent that his relationship with Schiano wasn't a good one early. However, he clearly has enough talent to make things happen. He's also young enough that, if he latches on to MIN's offense and can revive some of his 2010 form, Minnesota may have found their QB. Remember, he's still only 25.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to agree. But not so much with Rudolph since TE's in Tampa Bay never really shined with Freeman under center. But I could just be remembering that part wrong.

Either way, that definitely makes everyone on that offense a little more relevant. Tough to say how high the ceiling is at this point.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If throwing 3 yard dump-offs makes the Vikes competitive, I will be shocked.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If throwing 3 yard dump-offs makes the Vikes competitive, I will be shocked.

Given that both Jackson and Williams have had plenty of big plays the past couple years, I'm not sure where your coming from on this one.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to agree. But not so much with Rudolph since TE's in Tampa Bay never really shined with Freeman under center. But I could just be remembering that part wrong.

Either way, that definitely makes everyone on that offense a little more relevant. Tough to say how high the ceiling is at this point.

I sure wouldn't say he shined by any means, but Kellen Winslow wasnt too terrible under Freeman. I do think Rudoloh had the ability to be better than Winslow was, (during his time in Tampa..maybe equal to his days in CLEV?)..so maybe? But I wouldn't rush out to trade for him either. Maybe a viable match up option instead of a desperation play??

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not excited about the Vikes' WR prospects regardless. I'm not even sure Freeman can hold on to the starting gig. But as long as he does, his legs will help AP (as if he needed any more help) and vice versa.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that both Jackson and Williams have had plenty of big plays the past couple years, I'm not sure where your coming from on this one.

Are you going to provide some tangible evidence to support that claim? I have seen him play several times and haven't once been impressed. If he were a good QB, he wouldn't be in this situation. I'm not buying all the BS that it's the coaches fault.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, it probably can't get worse....

oh wait, yes it can! (see Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel and the Buffalo Bills!)

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you going to provide some tangible evidence to support that claim?

WTF? Look at the stats for evidence man. It's there.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you going to provide some tangible evidence to support that claim? I have seen him play several times and haven't once been impressed. If he were a good QB, he wouldn't be in this situation. I'm not buying all the BS that it's the coaches fault.

Well first off, I'm not trying to claim Freeman is going to be a savior by any means, jsut a step up from Ponder and Cassel which will HELP..not solve, the Vike's passing game issues.
But if you desire evidence..I'll provide a little

Jackson's first year in TB, with Freeman at Qb, his yard's per catch (19.2) were the second highest of his career. it could be considered his highest, since his rookie year numbers (19.7) were generated by only 3 catches.

In those 16 games with Freeman last season, Jackson had long catches of 21, 41, 29, 54, 19, 95, 26, 64, 31, 24, 40, 19, 46, and 27. With 1 200 yd game, 4 100 yd games, and 2 others over 90. And 8 touchdowns

Mike Williams isn't quite the big play threat that VJAX is, but he's always been over 11 yds per catch under Freeman (until this season). And he had at least 6 catches over 40 yards last year, just going by his game log and longest catch line..possible he could've had multiples.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well moving to a dome is probably a plus and there aren't many coaches worse than Schiano when it comes to x's and o's so it should in theory be a postive move all around.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well moving to a dome is probably a plus and there aren't many coaches worse than Schiano when it comes to x's and o's so it should in theory be a postive move all around.

Well put NastyM - I think Freeman could hold on and be the starter in MIN the rest of the season, once he gets the playbook down. If anything, MIN needs a QB that can heave it downfield to Patterson to keep defenses honest vs AP.

Freeman can do that. He is also good at turning around and handing the ball to the RB, which is a big part of the gameplan where he's at now. let's not forget, MIN doesn't need or want Freeman to throw 40+ times a game. They want a threat at QB, and I think Freeman will do well enough to get at least 1 WR to become fantasy relevant, just not sure which one of the three it will be. I do not see Rudolph being much more than a redzone target, personally.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, the guy with the lowest % air yards last year was... Mr. Ponder.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh wait, yes it can! (see Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel and the Buffalo Bills!)

I'm officially on the Tim Tebow watch clock. Shant be long.

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought of Freeman as a solid fantasy play in 2 QB leagues. I think Rudolph will be productive and Simpson could turn into a semi - must start option going forward at least until Patterson learns the playbook. But back to Kyle Rudolph for a second. I dont think you can compare apples to apples here when judging how Freeman thrown to TEs have faired in the past because circumstances as compltly different. In MIN Freeman will be trying to learn the system and should be looking for the safest shortest routes to insure early success. Even though there have not been any elite TE in TB under Freeman I think Rudolph will emerge as one this year. Rudolph to me right now is the best pass catcher on the quad and provides the biggest and safest security blankit to Freeman while Freeman learns the playbook. If Freeman wants to succeed early on he will figure it out while learning the system that Rudolph is his best option for now.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Freeman be starting by Week 8?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is yes, and my guess is that he'll be supermotivated. But he quit on Raheem Morris and Schiano couldn't deal with him, so my long-term expectations are pretty low. Third coach is the charm?