• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts and Concerns for first/second team following 22-16 Seattle Loss

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Joe Flacco looked 'okay'. The Broncos offense needs Sanders for the pass game to open up because without him they legit have no speed at receiver allowing opposing defenses to compress and opening up less space. Lots of checkdowns due to this but better than sacks or even throw aways. RBs will have heavy usage in pass game this year. Flacco is statuesque though, so OL will have to perform. They were 'okay' last night.

- Offense moved ball well but god dammit they need to convert in the red zone. Those 3s instead of 7s were the difference in the game. The red zone offense was the worst in the NFL last year, and the lack of push from the OL plus putrid pass attempt (Flacco to Sutton) have me a bit worried.

- While the NFL is 100% a pass first league, the Broncos are going to need to rely on the running backs. The starting offensive line was actually one of the best run blocking units in the NFL last year from a ball carriers yards before contact (opening up big holes and getting downhill) and that looked to continue. The offense is going to run through both Lindsay and Freeman who both looked solid last night in limited action.

- Bradley Chubb and Von Miller looked dominant last night. This could be the best edge rush duo the team has ever had. Better than Von and Doom or Von and Ware. Von was an absolute terror and Chubb did well in run, coverage, and pass rush. These two alone make the Broncos at least a solid defense. The IDL looked okay, but somewhat worried how dichotomized they are. Wolfe and Gotsis can stop the run, but offer little to no pass rush. Jones and Walker can get after the QB, but got blown up against the run. Still not sure what to make of Harris at NT.

- The secondary looked really good actually. Yiadom and Bausby held their own mostly besides a few deep balls that... well... if it was RW3 those might have been TDs (guarding the 6'4" 230 lbs alien Metcalf). Both however were solid. Yiadom needs to show better with the ball in the air, and Bausby has to be better tackling and getting off blocks. Still CB3 and 4 should be improved from last season. CHJ is a boss still.

- The linebackers look slow and in over their heads. Alexander Johnson is a thumper with less athleticism and instincts than Davis, and that showed. Solid coming downhill and hitting and filling, but ask him to cover or play pursuit and yikes. Dude would have been a good player in the 80s... and he was by far the best LB the Broncos tossed out there. Get well soon Jewell, Davis, and Jones.

- The special teams is horrible. Outside of long snapper Casey Kreiter and kicker Brandon McManus, they stunk. Wadman struggled and hurt his coverage units, the discipline from lanes to tackling was bad, and penalties. Two games in a row and the special teams looks like they entered the field from a clown car. Will have article on this topic later.

Bonus

- Drew Lock looked better than last week, but he still has a ways to go. Not gaining enough depth in his drop and relying on his arm instead of his base on some throws he short armed. The backup OL and run game did him NO favors as they were constantly at like 2nd and 11 and 3rd and 9. Best case we don't see Lock this year as he works on his mechanics and the offense, but good to see improvement.

- LB and TE are dropping like flies (and sounds like Jano injury is serious) and the Broncos only have 2 million in cap... so unless there is a restructure (Flacco) or surprise release, the roster is the roster with little room for additions.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the information as I was not able to watch the game.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL looked bad all units . to be somewhat expected. all those checks downs were for a reason.

Pet Carol played his first unit guys a long time when we were on 3rd team units he wanted a W.

Our coach was evaluating not playing to win. He probably told the refs to call the game tight as hell on purpose because several of those fouls were a joke.

We are a better team than that game depicted but we do need to get the fouls out of the way because that was sad.

I am to the point that the NFL should just get rid of ST all together! what is the use? it at this point is just annoying.

Talking about last year OL and this year's OL is different pieces of a puzzle even the OL Coach and schemes are different. I will say Our RB's are perfect for all the changing we did so that will still look good when we click. let's hope the waiting period of them to start looking good is short.

I did not get to key on any player, to be honest, my boy was driving me nuts but you could tell that we struggled to hold blocks.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need more quickness at WR position. Can we ever get a bigger punt return 3 yds really.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Seattle did - we are going to see teams try and punch the Broncos defense right up the gut - it is the best way to attack Fangio's defense.

Seattle ran it right at Dre'Mont Jones quite a few times - it was fun watching him trying to overcome the offensive muscle being thrown at him. Fangio gets himself a teaching moment for Jones. Jones was outmatched, but he never gave up. In today's parlance - Jones is a dog.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need more quickness at WR position. Can we ever get a bigger punt return 3 yds really.

We need a true #1 WR IMO in the 1st round next year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In thinking about this past preseason game - there are two general scenarios:

1) Fangio is a bs artist and will eventually get to the end of his act.
2) Fangio actually means what he says about players and preseason strategy.

What he has said about this preseason strategy -is that he wants to challenge his player's weaknesses to see what it is he can coach out of them and what it is he can actually trust the player to accomplish during a real game.

I think he actually is a very sophisticated example of the 2nd scenario.

On top of all that - teams aren't especially careful with winning in an away preseason game - as a tradition.

In the end - what this preseason game tells us is what Fangio wanted to see about what his team needed to work on.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does the ST coach insist on trying the pooch kickoff. Just have McManus boot it out of the end zone, place the ball on the 25 and let the most dominate part of our team go to work.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does the ST coach insist on trying the pooch kickoff. Just have McManus boot it out of the end zone, place the ball on the 25 and let the most dominate part of our team go to work.

It's preseason - they got to practice stuff. My thought.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In thinking about this past preseason game - there are two general scenarios:

1) Fangio is a bs artist and will eventually get to the end of his act.
2) Fangio actually means what he says about players and preseason strategy.

What he has said about this preseason strategy -is that he wants to challenge his player's weaknesses to see what it is he can coach out of them and what it is he can actually trust the player to accomplish during a real game.

I think he actually is a very sophisticated example of the 2nd scenario.

On top of all that - teams aren't especially careful with winning in an away preseason game - as a tradition.

In the end - what this preseason game tells us is what Fangio wanted to see about what his team needed to work on.

Yep if we wanted to win we would have layed the heat to Lynch's ass all game long. we were evaluating base D and see if they could win the battle without trickery.

What he saw with the second team not so much. They did alright just not great.

I do think we are a deep team. People have talked a lot of crap about Elway I will not he is still the Man!

I think this team 2 tweaks otherwise deep as heck.

* a true #1 WR

* A Speedy MLB'er

And here is the kicker we might get the MLBer as we did with Marshal in the final cutdowns if I remember right.

This team like it now has every right to make it to the playoffs even in this Division.

Our OL is going to be top-notch for the first time since 2014

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew the game was on and planned to watch but just a couple hours before it started I stepped on a damn stingray and spent the evening at the ER.

Replay on NFL.net

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew the game was on and planned to watch but just a couple hours before it started I stepped on a damn stingray and spent the evening at the ER.
Ouch!! Hope you have recovered.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would argue we need speed and acceleration even more

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep if we wanted to win we would have layed the heat to Lynch's ass all game long. we were evaluating base D and see if they could win the battle without trickery.

What he saw with the second team not so much. They did alright just not great.

I do think we are a deep team. People have talked a lot of crap about Elway I will not he is still the Man!

I think this team 2 tweaks otherwise deep as heck.

* a true #1 WR

* A Speedy MLB'er

And here is the kicker we might get the MLBer as we did with Marshal in the final cutdowns if I remember right.

This team like it now has every right to make it to the playoffs even in this Division.

Our OL is going to be top-notch for the first time since 2014

for this season, I agree these really are the big two.

SO MANY FA next season, things and needs might shuffle.

- CHJ likely gone (CB need unless one of Bausby/Yiadom can show as a 2 but tbh I prefer them as 3/4 in today's DB heavy league)
- Both Parks and Simmons set to hit FA
- EVERY STARTING IDL of Gotsis, Wolfe, Harris
- McGovern and his struggles is still a viable IOL option where Denver is NOT deep. Double down on this, likely Leary's last year as well in Denver considering his age, injuries and contract structure.
- Likely Sanders' last season in DEN as well so double down on WR playmaker need

I'm feeling better about Bolles with each passing week. Not as a long term option, but the next two seasons I think we can get by with his level of pay considering his cost.

2020 outlook (I can't believe I'm doing this this early but lmaoooo I love team building)

QB: Probably set with one of Flacco or Lock. If team collapses to the point of picking top 3 in 2020 I could see them look at Tua or Herbert but I give that only like a 5% chance of happening.
Need: 3/10

RB: Could take a late round guy but still will have 2 more years of cost control of Lindsay/Freeman. RBs are not hard to find and Denver has 1-2 that are cheap and young and solid.
Need: 1/10

WR: Sutton, Winfree, Hamilton are the dudes I am confident will be here. Obviously need talent there.
Need: 10/10

TE: Fant/Fuma/? Heuerman might still be here. Underrated blocker but gotta stay healthy! Contract is EASY to move on from though. Butt and Fort unknowns.
Need: 4/10

OT: I think Bolles is going to do 'fine'. I could see them targeting a OT/OG to challenge him but not as needed. James contract makes him locked in in 2020. Wilkinson is cheap, growing, and cost controlled swing at worst.
Need: 6/10

IOL: Really only comfortable one I am with is Risner. Who knows really on Sam Jones/Elijah Wilkinson there. McGovern and Leary may be gone (esp McGovern if he can't figure out snap...)

EDGE:
Chubb is going to be great and here a long time... Von is incredible first ballot HOFer, but he DID just hit the 30 years of age mark. I like Reed a fair amount but I wouldn't be against getting another talent at edge late or a vet to spell chubb/von in FA. Draft wise, if Denver is picking like top 10 and one of Young or Epenesa are there and they take them I will not complain tbh given the value of a true blue chipper at EDGE and the age of Von... but that's about it. Mimics QB... Can't pass on blue chip talent there if it happens to fall to you. Just too valuable long-term and well beyond just the 2020 season.
Need: 3/10

DT: Man the top guys are all gone lmao the only one I feel okay about being here next year is Dre'Mont Jones. Nothing else is for sure... They have a 3tech type in Jones, but could use some length and size at 4/4i/5 and a true NT. This position really is a complete unknown until FA...
Need: 10/10 before FA

LB: I can live with Jewell/Davis if need be tbh. It's not great, but it can do if DL and DB is good enough. I think Alexander Johnson is actually a developing and solid backup to Davis, potentially even a starter next year if Denver wants to move on from Davis' contract. Jewell is just okay given his lack of athleticism in space as well as actually being pretty small. Would prefer more speed/coverage from the WILB to Davis/Alexander SILB. Joe Jones would have been nice. No idea on Hollins atm.
Need: 7/10 but really if not a 'difference maker' at the position ala a blue chipper, you can live with what they have just refortify some depth.

CB:
Life post-CHJ is very likely to happen after the 2019 season. Someone is going to PAY him and given the issues this past offseason with the Broncos and how the FO chose to give CHJ more money rather than an extension + more money makes me think this is the end of the road. I am excited about the CB1-4 of CHJ/Callahan/Yiadom/Bausby but minus CHJ and moving each of those guys up one spot... I don't love it at all esp considering how much teams use 3 CBs. Would love a better pure talent there.
Need: 9/10

S: I like Kareem's versatility and I think the Broncos could bring back the likes of Simmons and/or Parks. Also perhaps Cravens could make Parks more expendable as he is on the up and up it sounds like (stay healthy and hungry my dude). If the Broncos lose Simmons this will be a much bigger need but Fangio/Donatell have done well finding mid round talents and making studs here (Eddie Jackson/Adrian Amos).
Need: 5/10

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EVERY STARTING IDL of Gotsis, Wolfe, Harris

Gotsis Is who I would start on right now on extending he has looked like a monster.

Harris, he is a disrupter not sure how he will be as a Run stopper? I would wait on him midseason maybe then... I love what he brings just not sure it is Run stopping? maybe he should be a DE?

Wolf has looked damn old for two years strang but if he does not have a killer season like a 10 sack year. Bye.

Wolf might have been misused as he claims. He still looks might stiff. Hope I am wrong but I don't see the same guy anymore.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alexander Johnson is definitely coming around. Has been one of our best players in preseason this far.