• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jon Baldwin

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me, but I really love this trade. Baldwin has ridiculous athletic ability and is a huge target, but because of immaturity, his development hasn't been as fast as the Chiefs would have liked. My question is why though? Every draft site had him taking 2-3 years to develop because of how raw he was coming out of Pitt. IMO this is the difference between a franchise like the Broncos, who patiently waited on Demaryious Thomas to grow into the player he now is, and the chiefs who prematurely give up on a talented physical specimen like Baldwin, after two seasons. True the Niners also gave up on Jenkins, but you can't teach size and heart, and A.J. lacked both.

I really believe the chiefs made a bad trade here, and just like Demaryious Thomas, Baldwin will have his breakout season in his third year, now that he has a top QB throwing to him and a system in place that will be better for his development.

I believe we got an absolute steal today.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know much about Jenkins, but I think that Baldwin can become a big time player. Not sure that "immaturity" was his problem in KC so much as it was that the QBs he played with there, the o-line, and the coaching staff were all less than desirable for promoting his development. Cold be a huge asset for SF.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me, but I really love this trade. Baldwin has ridiculous athletic ability and is a huge target, but because of immaturity, his development hasn't been as fast as the Chiefs would have liked. My question is why though? Every draft site had him taking 2-3 years to develop because of how raw he was coming out of Pitt. IMO this is the difference between a franchise like the Broncos, who patiently waited on Demaryious Thomas to grow into the player he now is, and the chiefs who prematurely give up on a talented physical specimen like Baldwin, after two seasons. True the Niners also gave up on Jenkins, but you can't teach size and heart, and A.J. lacked both.

I really believe the chiefs made a bad trade here, and just like Demaryious Thomas, Baldwin will have his breakout season in his third year, now that he has a top QB throwing to him and a system in place that will be better for his development.

We can only hope that this happens I guess Baldwin has the skill set to be like a Thomas but does he have the will to do it? Guess we will find out soon

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Well Demaryius was even more "raw" than Baldwin, yet he developed in 2 years. How much more patience did the Broncos truly excercise...? Not much at all as you're making it seems, only his rookie year. Baldwin has talent, he still struggles with concentrations (drops/reading coverages), running precise routes, and staying out of trouble.

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Demaryius was even more "raw" than Baldwin, yet he developed in 2 years. How much more patience did the Broncos truly excercise...? Not much at all as you're making it seems, only his rookie year. Baldwin has talent, he still struggles with concentrations (drops/reading coverages), running precise routes, and staying out of trouble.

It took Thomas until his 3rd season to finally breakout, and it just so happens that his breakout season came with Peyton Manning as his QB. Thomas's 2nd year struggles could possibly be attributed to Tim Tebow being a godawful QB, but then Baldwin can also use that excuse, since last seasons KC team had some of the worst QB play I have ever seen.

The only thing that might hold Baldwin back this season is him having to learn a new system. If he comes in with the right attitude, I can't see him failing with us. Plus Harbaugh seems to be great with these reclamation projects, and boy is this a great project for him to work with.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It took Thomas until his 3rd season to finally breakout, and it just so happens that his breakout season came with Peyton Manning as his QB. Thomas's 2nd year struggles could possibly be attributed to Tim Tebow being a godawful QB, but then Baldwin can also use that excuse, since last seasons KC team had some of the worst QB play I have ever seen.

The only thing that might hold Baldwin back this season is him having to learn a new system. If he comes in with the right attitude, I can't see him failing with us. Plus Harbaugh seems to be great with these reclamation projects, and boy is this a great project for him to work with.

yep, he needs to transition and in a VERY short time. new change of scenery may help, but does he have time to show potential?

anyway, it still comes down to catching the ball. without catching the ball, nothing else you do as a WR can save you.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Harbaugh just stepped to the podium after Fangio, which I don't believe was originally scheduled today. Just briefly summed up the trade as, hopefully, a fresh start for both Baldwin and Jenkins. Talked about how this could be a positive thing, referencing his own career and that of Cris Carter being revitalized after a team change.

He talked a little bit about his familiarity with Baldwin, too. He doesn't know him personally, but he's known of him since his junior year in high school in Pittsburgh, PA when Baldwin was a highly ranked recruit. Harbaugh also mentioned that brother-in-law Tom Crean heavily recruited Baldwin to play basketball at Marquette.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Thomas was breaking out by the end of his second year. In his last seven games, including playoffs, he had 745 yards and 4 TDs. With Tebow at QB. It was pretty clear by that time he had the talent to be a monster.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There's no doubt Baldwin offers more day one than AJ. And there's real potential there if he can harness it. I'm just not holding my breath given his track record and the Niners' recent history in terms of developing WRs. Though we do have a strong history of rehabbing disappointing first round picks, so maybe there's something to this.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no doubt Baldwin offers more day one than AJ. And there's real potential there if he can harness it. I'm just not holding my breath given his track record and the Niners' recent history in terms of developing WRs. Though we do have a strong history of rehabbing disappointing first round picks, so maybe there's something to this.

Crim, I would definitely agree that there is a concern on how we are developing WRs as we really haven't seen any real development for YEARS now. I am curious as to who is out there that may be better then the coaches we have now.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crim, I would definitely agree that there is a concern on how we are developing WRs as we really haven't seen any real development for YEARS now. I am curious as to who is out there that may be better then the coaches we have now.

Did we keep the same receivers coach in the transition from Nolan to Singletary to Harbaugh?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I like the trade just for the fact that if you can get Baldwin right he'll offer far more than AJ even if you got him right.

Either way the 1st round pick is a sunk cost and at the very least you have a chance to recoup some of that cost and maybe even turn it into something better than what you had in the first place.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thomas was breaking out by the end of his second year. In his last seven games, including playoffs, he had 745 yards and 4 TDs. With Tebow at QB. It was pretty clear by that time he had the talent to be a monster.

Thomas also tore his Achilles' tendon in February after his rookie season. That likely hindered his development in year two.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope... The current WR coach is Morton. I believe the previous coach was Johnson

Maybe, but Mike Johnson was the quarterback coach before he the Offensive Cordinator in the year Singleterry/Raye. Are you talking about a different Johnson?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe, but Mike Johnson was the quarterback coach before he the Offensive Cordinator in the year Singleterry/Raye. Are you talking about a different Johnson?

Probably got the name wrong.. I was thinking about the guy who was the AZ cards WR coach before joining the NIners

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very excited about Baldwin. I loved him coming out of the draft. He has the talent and athletic ability. Lets hope Hardbaugh and the rest of the coaching staff can find a way for him to find his confidence and control his temper. It's a risk worth taking.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Jerry Sullivan was the receivers coach here from 2005 until 2010.