• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jon Baldwin

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very excited about Baldwin. I loved him coming out of the draft. He has the talent and athletic ability. Lets hope Hardbaugh and the rest of the coaching staff can find a way for him to find his confidence and control his temper. It's a risk worth taking.

Considering we weren't going to get a thing out of Jenkins anyway, I agree.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following is taken from NFL.com:

Analysis

Strengths

Baldwin is a huge receiver with deceptive speed. Long strider that can stretch the field and shows the ability to consistently track the ball in the air. Possesses excellent hands and high points the ball very well. Strong runner after the catch that breaks arm tackles and flashes a vicious stiff arm. Fearless over the middle.

Weaknesses

Sloppy route runner that struggles to separate from quicker defensive backs. Takes too many false steps in transition and does not always find soft spots in zone coverage. Does not have enough wiggle to make defenders miss in the open field. Not exactly a willing run blocker and will occasionally take plays off.

----------------------------------------------------

Asked on Saturday about Baldwin, Coach Andy Reid made it clear that you have to catch the football.

"That's how it works, and he knows that and I know that," Reid said. "When we give you an opportunity, you have to make sure you take advantage of the opportunity."

"Football is football," the Bill Walsh minority coaching fellow Andre Reed said, "90 percent of it is all mental. The physical part is only about 10 percent because everyone out here can run to a point."

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Loving this trade.

Finally we have a big WR (even Crabtree is only 6'1").

We have enough guys like AJ with more heart (Manningham, Williams).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Speaking of Chiefs' WRs: I don't even know why the Chiefs line up WRs in the first place. They should just line up with 3 RBs in the backfield & 2 TEs every down (with Alex at QB).

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin's a big target with some speed. Haley/Crennel couldn't temper his attitude in KC and Andy Reid didn't want to deal with another headache. Harbaugh will whip Baldwin into shape so he can be the receiver he can be. In addition, Baldwin isn't the type of receiver that fits well in Reid's scheme. Look at who Reid had success with in Philly. Baldwin doesn't fit the mold; especially as a "sloppy route runner" as someone else posted.

Bottom line: y'all got a steal here. Congrats...

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin's a big target with some speed. Haley/Crennel couldn't temper his attitude in KC and Andy Reid didn't want to deal with another headache. Harbaugh will whip Baldwin into shape so he can be the receiver he can be. In addition, Baldwin isn't the type of receiver that fits well in Reid's scheme. Look at who Reid had success with in Philly. Baldwin doesn't fit the mold; especially as a "sloppy route runner" as someone else posted.

Bottom line: y'all got a steal here. Congrats...
I've been reading up on Baldwin and have to agree that he might do well as a 9er. I think we got the better part of this deal. We will see how this pans out.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Speaking of Chiefs' WRs: I don't even know why the Chiefs line up WRs in the first place. They should just line up with 3 RBs in the backfield & 2 TEs every down (with Alex at QB).

I think Smith will lock onto Bowe. If he's covered it will be a dump off to the RB. If RB isn't open he'll look to the TE. If TE isn't open he'll be looking at Jenkins right when he's taking the sack. I think he'll actually give Bowe a lot of chances though to fight for the ball compared to how he avoided Crabtree. At least their RB's are well suited to do things with all those dump offs, and Berry might win a few games all by himself the way he was playing last week.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Smith will lock onto Bowe. If he's covered it will be a dump off to the RB. If RB isn't open he'll look to the TE. If TE isn't open he'll be looking at Jenkins right when he's taking the sack. I think he'll actually give Bowe a lot of chances though to fight for the ball compared to how he avoided Crabtree. At least their RB's are well suited to do things with all those dump offs, and Berry might win a few games all by himself the way he was playing last week.
After watching Alex continue his dirt bomb technique in the preseason game I doubt that Jenkins will get a catch even if he plays. Good luck Chiefs.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
One thing you can say about Jon Baldwin is that he's had some atrocious head coaches in his career. Starting with the Wanstache at Pitt: he was terrible. Then he had Romeo Crenel, who may be one of the worst head coaches I've ever seen.

Baldwin is going from some of the most inept offensive minds to a couple of the best in the world w/ Roman & Harbaugh. I actually didn't like Baldwin all that much in college, but he has a great opportunity to make a big impact in an offense with the running game, Vernon, the RBs catching balls (and I hope Vance McDonald) and Boldin taking the attention away from him (Crabby too when he comes back). I was actually really concerned about blocking at the WR position (other than w/ Boldin) this season, and now they've got a guy who's 6'4, 230 w/ long arms. Problem solved. :)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont know who got the better of the deal...

we'll find out...

yep, we'll find out in two weeks.

who has a better chance to stick with their respective teams? if Baldwin is cut and Jenkins stick, then they get the better of the deal right? doesn't mean Jenkins then becomes a stud, but at least they'll have a live chance.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know who got the better of the deal...

we'll find out...

Just watched T. Kawakami on Yahoo SportsNet central and he's not impressed with the move.

Frankly, I'm looking at this transaction with caution. Granted, Baldwin didn't have much as far as quality starting QB's are concerned. If he doesn't perform while having CK7 as his QB, what's the excuse then? Too be quite frank there's a chance this guy may not even make the team. He is bigger and is more physical than AJ but he only has a couple of weeks to learn the Read Option in order to make an impact. And from what I remember last Friday, Baldwin couldn't even outrun Nnamdi.

Dropsies + inability to outrun my Cal boy Nnamdi = :lame:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just watched T. Kawakami on Yahoo SportsNet central and he's not impressed with the move.

Frankly, I'm looking at this transaction with caution. Granted, Baldwin didn't have much as far as quality starting QB's are concerned. If he doesn't perform while having CK7 as his QB, what's the excuse then? Too be quite frank there's a chance this guy may not even make the team. He is bigger and is more physical than AJ but he only has a couple of weeks to learn the Read Option in order to make an impact. And from what I remember last Friday, Baldwin couldn't even outrun Nnamdi.

Dropsies + inability to outrun my Cal boy Nnamdi = :lame:

if this is similar to the odds Jenkins was facing, then I agree. can't help think there were good reasons why KC traded him, but the grass is always greener.

not rooting against Baldwin, but if you don't look at his measurable, not enough there to make you think he'll be good?

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if this is similar to the odds Jenkins was facing, then I agree. can't help think there were good reasons why KC traded him, but the grass is always greener.

not rooting against Baldwin, but if you don't look at his measurable, not enough there to make you think he'll be good?

I'm hoping the light bulb turns on for this guy. The Niners over their history have made trades for players who helped the franchise out immensely (Freddie Dean, Russ Francis, Freddie Solomon, etc). Baldwin may be part of that list but there's a saying "you can't trade water for wine".

One thing that's clear about this is that the Niners got rid of AJ's two year contract for a guy who essentially is on a one year deal. If Baldwin doesn't pan out, he's done. The one thing I'm worried about is that Baldwin apparently doesn't stretch the field as a bonafied vertical threat, which is something they were hoping AJ would be. With that said, who on this roster can stretch the field?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I will say this: if this guy has the mental fortitude to commit himself, he's in a great position to turn around his career. Great young QB, incredible offensive minds, and a desperate need at the WR position. He also doesn't have the pressure of being the go-to guy, not that he did in KC. I'll be interested to see what happens.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

It's hard to overlook 6'4"+, 230, 4.49, and 42"...

Nothing's guaranteed, of course, but man are the tools there.

Brandon Marshall | Central Florida, WR : 2006 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

*Jon Baldwin | Pittsburgh, WR : 2011 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crim, I would definitely agree that there is a concern on how we are developing WRs as we really haven't seen any real development for YEARS now. I am curious as to who is out there that may be better then the coaches we have now.

I'm a long time USC fan, and I was never really impressed with coach Morton. I know some will argue that he was Lee and Woods coach and they have developed nicely. But that doesn't tell the whole story. While at SC, several highly regarded WR's were recruited. When you recruit that much talent, you are bound to have some breakout players (on talent alone). Coach Morton could have developed several players at WR while at SC, but that just didn't happen. When he was hired by Harbaugh, I was very skeptical. And while in SF I haven't seen anything to change my long time opinion on coach Morton...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this: if this guy has the mental fortitude to commit himself, he's in a great position to turn around his career. Great young QB, incredible offensive minds, and a desperate need at the WR position. He also doesn't have the pressure of being the go-to guy, not that he did in KC. I'll be interested to see what happens.

This is why it must be bittersweet for Jenkins. It was clear that he did not want to be here, but with all that we have, it seems like he's losing a lot by leaving. I am basing him not wanting him to be here by a quote from another player stating that he told Jenkins that this was the fresh start that Jenkins wanted.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is why it must be bittersweet for Jenkins. It was clear that he did not want to be here, but with all that we have, it seems like he's losing a lot by leaving. I am basing him not wanting him to be here by a quote from another player stating that he told Jenkins that this was the fresh start that Jenkins wanted.

Fresh start = less expectations

It's really too bad he didn't have the mental fortitude to make an impact in San Fran...

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fresh start = less expectations

It's really too bad he didn't have the mental fortitude to make an impact in San Fran...

Mental fortitude plus lacking physicality. I'm watching the Niners/Chiefs rerun right now and it's clear AJ was struggling against a much bigger CB in S. Smith. I know he was open for a few plays against Denver, but it was clear that despite his speed AJ lacks upper body strength needed to get off those jams at the line of scrimmage.

KC may be that fresh start AJ is looking for if it's true that he didn't want to be here. However, at least to me, AJ was on one of the top teams in the league with a glorious opportunity to take advantage of an unfortunate injury to our leading receiver, only to not take advantage of it eventually leading to him being shipped out of town. I read that he also turned down a chance to workout with Jerry Rice? This doesn't sound like the heart of a champion to me.