• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Lester's Blatant Cheating in WS Game 1

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed the Farrell quote since I rarely watch post-game shows.

If rosin is against the rules why is there a rosin bag on every pitching mound?

Not sure if serious but...he can't have it stashed in his glove. Rosin can only be used on his bare hands. Here's a quote straight from the mlb website.

" A pitcher may use the rosin bag for the purpose of applying rosin to his bare hand or hands. Neither the pitcher nor any other player shall dust the ball with the rosin bag; neither shall the pitcher nor any other player be permitted to apply rosin from the bag to his glove or dust any part of his uniform with the rosin bag."

Official Rules | MLB.com: Official info

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing is he said he uses it to sweat and that is what he was stating when he said he uses Rosin.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drove 56 in a 55 zone today. Then, I did not make a complete stop at a stop sign....

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whatever it was didn't give up 8 runs.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, and I am sure if he pitches again he will be subjected to the umpires scrutiny, but this stuff has gone on in baseball forever, it's nothing new, he just got away with as many before him have and many after him will.

Lester is probably one of the first pitchers in MLB that would draw scrutiny if he was actually caught in the act of doctoring pitches. I imagine not too many umpires are big fans of Lester, considering his history of staring at umps.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drove 56 in a 55 zone today. Then, I did not make a complete stop at a stop sign....

That's not really the same. He is gaining an advantage over people that aren't willing to break the same rules. It's like steroid use. People willing to break rules gain an advantage over people that are not.

If it's something that is the norm and acceptable then the rule shouldn't be in place because you're giving people willing to break rules an advantage.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your foot also, by rule, has to be in contact with rubber when pitching. Shortstops have to actually touch second, with the ball in their possession. Pine tar can only be a certain distance up the barrel of the bat. Shane Victorino, by rule, needs to "try" to avoid being hit by a pitch....

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your foot also, by rule, has to be in contact with rubber when pitching. Shortstops have to actually touch second, with the ball in their possession. Pine tar can only be a certain distance up the barrel of the bat. Shane Victorino, by rule, needs to "try" to avoid being hit by a pitch....

<COUGH> <COUGH>... TRY... <COUGH> <COUGH>

brin3535

moose twit!
Hoopla Cash
$ 955.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let them cheat, they will still lose the series. They need it, we don't.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The neighborhood rule is pretty much an unwritten rule. Do people actually break the pine tar too far up the bat rule? And, try is pretty arbitrary, it's hard to prove someone didn't try...

My only point is that instead of ignoring it and sweeping it under the rug I wish the MLB would've just said, "he broke a rule that isn't ever administered" and then proceeded to change the rule. People were more upset when Jeter got hit in the bat a few years ago and pretended to get hit in the wrist, that I don't understand.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had it not been cold, I might feel a little different.(Not accomplishing anymore than someone going to their mouth on the mound) Or if anything had been made of it during the game. But I don't see it being anywhere near steroid use. (Which doesnt get me upset either) I see it closer to all the things I mentioned. Or cutting inside second. If the opposition doesn't make an appeal to the crew, at the time, it's just part of the game. There are numerous rules which are seldom enforced in baseball. But they can be, if the crew is pressed to do so, during the game.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had it not been cold, I might feel a little different.(Not accomplishing anymore than someone going to their mouth on the mound) Or if anything had been made of it during the game. But I don't see it being anywhere near steroid use. (Which doesnt get me upset either) I see it closer to all the things I mentioned. Or cutting inside second. If the opposition doesn't make an appeal to the crew, at the time, it's just part of the game. There are numerous rules which are seldom enforced in baseball. But they can be, if the crew is pressed to do so, during the game.

Good points. I don't see what the weather has to do with it since he's been doing it since May. I agree that it didn't alter the game, that is not what I have been trying to imply.

I also don't think it's as drastic as steroid use, but I think it's similar (gaining an unfair advantage over people trying to play the game correctly) just on a much much smaller scale.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, Lester wasn't playing incorrectly. The Cards could have asked that he show his glove. They didnt. Just as they could appeal someone leaving the bag early when tagging up. (If theres no appeal, leaving the bag early doesnt matter, yet its against the rules) One of the best things in baseball, to me, are the little games within the game, to get an edge. Or to think you're getting an edge. Or to make your opponent think you're trying to get an edge. This entire affair could have mattered, if St Louis had noticed during the game, and made it an issue.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, Lester wasn't playing incorrectly. The Cards could have asked that he show his glove. They didnt. Just as they could appeal someone leaving the bag early when tagging up. (If theres no appeal, leaving the bag early doesnt matter, yet its against the rules) One of the best things in baseball, to me, are the little games within the game, to get an edge. Or to think you're getting an edge. Or to make your opponent think you're trying to get an edge. This entire affair could have mattered, if St Louis had noticed during the game, and made it an issue.

That's not my belief. It's not about the individual game. That's not what bothers me at all, but I guess I'm in the minority.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he did break the rules even with *cough* rosin. He needs it because he sweats? Okay, uhhh pretty sure other pitchers sweat too.

I agree though, Cards were going to lose the game anyway.
I think if it were the Rsox fans seeing a Cards pitcher using something in a illegal way, they wouldn't like it either.

I can't figure out who to root for, so it came down to rooting for Ryan Dempster and Mike Napoli getting the ring.
that is all.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well, that's an opinion. The fact is, he did cheat...it is against the rules. There's no argument about that.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I want to know is how can anyone actually say Lester cheated? The umpires certainly didn't say he was cheating and he was never caught cheating by anyone else that mattered.

Unless your actually caught cheating no one can claim with any certainty that you were cheating.

Like Fordham said before, " the Cardinals are the biggest bunch of selfrigtheous pricks. " Always pissing and moaning or crying over one thing or the other.

They've already admitted he cheated. I'm not even rooting for the Cards.
He cheated, did it matter in that game? I don't think so, I think they were well on their way to losing anyway.

So the obvious question, if some pitcher is using rosin illegally against your.....whoever's team...it's perfectly fine?
I doubt it.

But somehow this turned into the Cardinals fans fault? Sure, no Red Sox fan would have complained the next day
lol