• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Buchholz's cheating?

Bulldog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why they concocted the story... Trying to create controversy and pressure for the best team in baseball...

They showed a picture of Buchholz', and it took me five minutes to figure out that the reflection on his arm was the white stuff they thought they saw.

I'm glad it is kind of a non-issue for the Sox. The manager said hog-wash. Buchholz admitted he puts the rosin on his arm. By next week no one willbe talking about it...

That's right you'll never find a Red Sox pitcher that does anything dishonest, just ask Schilling or Clemens they'll tell ya.

Zig

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turns out it was sunscreen and most pitchers use it. mixed with rosin it gets real sticky, helps you get a good grip on the ball.

Jeff Passan picks up the thread Dirk Hayhurst and Jack Morris pulled last week regarding Clay Buchholz‘s start against the Jays and accusations that he was doctoring the ball:

Two veteran pitchers and one source close to the Red Sox told Yahoo! Sports that about 90 percent of major league pitchers use some form of spray-on sunscreen – almost always BullFrog brand – that when combined with powdered rosin gives them a far superior grip on the ball … one source close to the Red Sox confirmed the team’s pitchers almost all rely on sunscreen for better grip on finicky balls, particularly in cold, bad weather.

It seems almost certain, based on what Passan’s sources are telling him, that yes, Buchholz was applying a foreign substance to the ball last week. But it also seems certain, based on what Passan’s sources are telling him, that almost all pitchers do it and, really, no one cares.
90 percent of pitchers are using spray-on sunscreen, Buchholz-style | HardballTalk

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love David Ross' reaction to the Yahoo false claims:

“I don’t really know what to say to that,’’ the catcher said. “I know in ‘Major League’ guys were accused of putting jalapeno on their nose and rubbing snot on the ball. I don’t know where they’re getting the sunscreen from, but if (Yahoo) has any tips for our guys, we’d love to hear what works better, like BullFrog or what SPF might work better.
“We’re just trying to win ballgames here, not worry about how bright the sun is or what SPF we need.”

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it was just the Toronto announcer who said this, it was pretty easy to dismiss. Now that Jack Morris is in on this, I feel it is at least " a rumor with legs".

Unless that 2 years Morris did in Toronto has clouded his vision and opinions here.

It really shouldn't put anything into it at all. I understand that Morris is upset and all but I do not think Clay is cheating

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's right you'll never find a Red Sox pitcher that does anything dishonest, just ask Schilling or Clemens they'll tell ya.

Clemens makes me sad. He was my favotire player growing up.... I crazily believe he was not involved in illegal substances until after his Boston tenure.

And, I don't understand the Schilling comment. I never liked him, even when he was on the Sox. He's alway been a douche and a blow-hard, but I don't remember him ever cheating...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but I don't remember him ever cheating...

Everyone claims the "bloody sock" incident to be cheating... I also assume they say he did roids too..

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but I don't remember him ever cheating...

Everyone claims the "bloody sock" incident to be cheating... I also assume they say he did roids too..

Really?? I haven't heard that about the bloody sock... I know it was a radical surgery, but I honestly never heard anyone call it cheating. How is temporarily sewing a tendon different from TJ surgery?...

And it was suspicious that he was at the steroid hearings, but I don't think anyone directly linked him to any PEDs (other than pitching during the steroid era, when everyone one was using something)...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?? I haven't heard that about the bloody sock... I know it was a radical surgery, but I honestly never heard anyone call it cheating. How is temporarily sewing a tendon different from TJ surgery?...

And it was suspicious that he was at the steroid hearings, but I don't think anyone directly linked him to any PEDs (other than pitching during the steroid era, when everyone one was using something)...

That's what I have heard... Has't gotten much play but I have heard these two incidents mentioned