• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Lester's Blatant Cheating in WS Game 1

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG Becky, jealousy will get you know where.
You've won 1 game. Don't think its over yet.

Cardinals are known for being thin skinned so this isnt really the kind of thing the Cardinals should push. It should come from MLB and others.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, and I am sure if he pitches again he will be subjected to the umpires scrutiny, but this stuff has gone on in baseball forever, it's nothing new, he just got away with as many before him have and many after him will.

Since it was also suspected earlier in the year that Bucholz may have been doctoring the ball, I think that Lackey and all of the Boston pitchers might be subjected to increased scrutiny.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torre on Jon Lester glove controversy: ?No complaints? | The Strike Zone - SI.com

“There were no complaints from the Cardinals or observations from the umpires about the baseball doing anything funny or irregular,” MLB vice president Joe Torre said. “We will ask around, but without any complaint I don’t know what else you can say.”

Though rules prohibit pitchers from using foreign substances, they routinely use a mixture of substances such as pine tar, sun lotion, resin and water to improve their grip on the baseball. The practice is especially common in cold weather, when baseballs are more slick to the touch. The temperature last night at Fenway Park was 49 degrees for the first pitch. Players accept the practice as part of the game as long as the pitcher is discreet with his substances and that the substances don’t cause the baseball to move abnormally.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised this has gotten this far.

It is a non-story. All pitchers use rosin or pin tar to get a better grip. Lester just has it on his glove. (Remember the "uproar" when Buchholz had it on his arm?)....

Hopefully by game time, no one will be talking about it.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardinal fans....look at it this way..........

After the Red Sox win the World Series....you Card fans will have a ready made "EXCUSE" for why you lost! You won't have to waste time finding umps to blame, pointing a finger a Kosma, or the vicious wall in right field, or even Ortiz' over-sized head. You will now have a perfect excuse to chant for the entire winter and next season. "We would have won the Series, but the Boston pitchers cheated!!!"

It sure beats what Detroit fans had after the sweep by the Giants last year. All we could say was..."OUR offense sucked the big one!"

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised this has gotten this far.

It is a non-story. All pitchers use rosin or pin tar to get a better grip. Lester just has it on his glove. (Remember the "uproar" when Buchholz had it on his arm?)....

Hopefully by game time, no one will be talking about it.

What you're trying to say is that you have very little understanding of baseball or anything really.

You articulated it very well.

:10:

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that's the argument? People have cheated in baseball before so who cares? Get real...

:lol:

Yeah, pretty much baseball allows cheating so it's really not a big deal. Do you really think only one side cheats?

Hopefully some investigation is done on this. It looks pretty bad from those clips.

I am sure it will be and should be investigated.

You've won 1 game. Don't think its over yet.

Cardinals are known for being thin skinned so this isnt really the kind of thing the Cardinals should push. It should come from MLB and others.

Not sure where I indicated this was even close to over.

Since it was also suspected earlier in the year that Bucholz may have been doctoring the ball, I think that Lackey and all of the Boston pitchers might be subjected to increased scrutiny.

They may be but suspecting something and proving something are two different things.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow, you think MLB just missed this but you caught it?

I know. Almost hard to believe anybody would accuse MLB of missing anything when it comes to rule enforcement.

Your attempt to use reason is to be commended, though.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardinal fans....look at it this way..........

After the Red Sox win the World Series....you Card fans will have a ready made "EXCUSE" for why you lost! You won't have to waste time finding umps to blame, pointing a finger a Kosma, or the vicious wall in right field, or even Ortiz' over-sized head. You will now have a perfect excuse to chant for the entire winter and next season. "We would have won the Series, but the Boston pitchers cheated!!!"

It sure beats what Detroit fans had after the sweep by the Giants last year. All we could say was..."OUR offense sucked the big one!"
We have plenty of excuses. Beltran injured. Craig just coming back, etc.

But we also sucked in Game 1 and the Red Sox didn't. I don't think this incident had anything to do with the outcome of the game

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully agree that nothing can be done about it after the fact. Boston won game 1, and I think probably would have even if Lester hadn't cheated. That's part of what makes it an even bigger shame.

Children trying to argue that what Lester did is perfectly fine are truly stupid.

Not all Red Sox fans are human garbage, though, thank goodness.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may be but suspecting something and proving something are two different things.

I don't think that it takes any great detective work to see if the pitcher has something in his glove, but the ump does have to look. I imagine they will pay closer attention tonight.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully agree that nothing can be done about it after the fact. Boston won game 1, and I think probably would have even if Lester hadn't cheated. That's part of what makes it an even bigger shame.

Children trying to argue that what Lester did is perfectly fine are truly stupid.

Not all Red Sox fans are human garbage, though, thank goodness.

Thankfully, most folks can determine the character of others by themselves...

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have plenty of excuses. Beltran injured. Craig just coming back, etc.

But we also sucked in Game 1 and the Red Sox didn't. I don't think this incident had anything to do with the outcome of the game

Agreed, and as I said in another post this thing is far from over. The Cards looked on edge and IMO played nervous, afraid to make a mistake which lef to mistakes, they did not look like they were playing as if the game was natural to them.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, pretty much baseball allows cheating so it's really not a big deal. Do you really think only one side cheats?

"Baseball allows cheating" Wow. There is one for the books. :laugh3:

Either way it sounds like no comments were made about the ball having any extra drop or movement on it so if there are no complaints it may not even be an issue.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, and as I said in another post this thing is far from over. The Cards looked on edge and IMO played nervous, afraid to make a mistake which lef to mistakes, they did not look like they were playing as if the game was natural to them.
It is over if Beltran isnt playing for the rest of the series and/or the Cards don't win Game 2. But its still a series at the moment