• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy Butler causing more problems

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media writes the same story over and over because they're lazy and they don't have to do real investigative work. Especially at the national level.

Sixers didn't have all off-season to figure this chemistry out, they are figuring it out now. And everyone has a voice.

It doesn't sound as dramatic when it isn't some drama queen freak writing it.

Bingo. Let’s just believe the media 24/7. Goodness graciousness :L

Jimmy wants to win. They knew what they were getting and Elton Brand is a smart b-ball dude

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand why the Lakers didn't make the trade, although I'm not sure that gutting the team is an accurate description.

It's always a tough decision to trade away young assets that COULD become really good. But in hindsight would you have traded Ingram and Kuzma for Paul George? IMO, I think that a lot of Lakers nation was against giving up those pieces because they felt that they could just get him in FA.

LOL at gutted the team? Ingram plays the same position as PG and if they were serious about having him team up with LBJ then there was no real need to have Ingram on the team. A 2 for 1 trade for a top 15 player and one of the best 2 way players is far from gutting your team.

The Lakers reportedly packaged the 27th pick with the 28th pick along with either Jordan Clarkson or Julius Randle hoping to land George.

This was the Lakers offer to Indiana....they obviously thought they could just pick him up in FA considering this is what they offered Indiana.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“The Pacers would’ve done a deal to trade Paul George to the Lakers if they got the No. 2 pick in the 2017 draft or Brandon Ingram,”

I don't think asking for a #2 pick and a late first rounder is exactly gutting your team for a top 15 player. Indy got 2 former lottery picks for PG-13 ( # 2 in 2013 and #11 in 2016)

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the Lakers offer to Indiana....they obviously thought they could just pick him up in FA considering this is what they offered Indiana.

This is what it boils down to. The Lakers gambled that they could get him in FA and they lost. And if they are banking on a huge FA haul next year, they are setting themselves up for disappointment again.

As a Sixers fan, I'm comfortable with them resigning Butler because I don't think they can count on getting some huge FA to come to Philly despite the Sixers being a team on the cusp of being a championship caliber team.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is stupid for PG to be upset that the Lakers didn't make a move for him. The Thunder did. The Lakers didn't. I think it is natural for a player to feel more appreciation for the team that made the move for him than the team that didn't.

Which is why it is ALWAYS risky to wait for a player to hit FA and bring them in.

People (fans and teams) overvalue on their own players, especially younger players. I've never been a fan of that. To me, its always better to trade for the guaranteed talent RIGHT NOW. So what if that 19 year old MIGHT be an all star 5 years from now. I can have an all star RIGHT NOW. George wanted to be with the Lakers. He said as much. When he resigned with OKC, he even said that the fact that OKC made the move for him really got him to stay and realize he liked playing there. If LA traded for him, that never happens. He doesn't go anywhere else. Lebron still goes to LA because he had been making moves for months. LA just got greedy. Thought they could keep everyone and sign everyone. But they definitely should have been more aggressive in that potential trade. Same went for Kawhi and it goes for AD. A team should get the guaranteed talent, figure the rest out later. If you look at the history of the league, rarely does giving away a bunch of young talent for a guaranteed in their prime all star come back to bite you in the ass.

“The Pacers would’ve done a deal to trade Paul George to the Lakers if they got the No. 2 pick in the 2017 draft or Brandon Ingram,”

I don't think asking for a #2 pick and a late first rounder is exactly gutting your team for a top 15 player. Indy got 2 former lottery picks for PG-13 ( # 2 in 2013 and #11 in 2016)

Lol. Go to some Lakers sites or comments sections today and most would take a ham sandwich for Brandon Ingram

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People (fans and teams) overvalue on their own players, especially younger players. I've never been a fan of that. To me, its always better to trade for the guaranteed talent RIGHT NOW. So what if that 19 year old MIGHT be an all star 5 years from now. I can have an all star RIGHT NOW. George wanted to be with the Lakers. He said as much. When he resigned with OKC, he even said that the fact that OKC made the move for him really got him to stay and realize he liked playing there. If LA traded for him, that never happens. He doesn't go anywhere else. Lebron still goes to LA because he had been making moves for months. LA just got greedy. Thought they could keep everyone and sign everyone. But they definitely should have been more aggressive in that potential trade. Same went for Kawhi and it goes for AD. A team should get the guaranteed talent, figure the rest out later. If you look at the history of the league, rarely does giving away a bunch of young talent for a guaranteed in their prime all star come back to bite you in the ass.

I honestly that Magic's hubris prevented the PG trade. He thought he could convince PG to come to LA.

OTOH, I don't think there was anything the Lakers could have offered to get Kawhi. I honestly think that Pop would have asked for the world and if the Lakers offered it to him, he would have then demanded the Moon. I also don't think that Pop wanted young stars he needed to develop.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly that Magic's hubris prevented the PG trade. He thought he could convince PG to come to LA.

OTOH, I don't think there was anything the Lakers could have offered to get Kawhi. I honestly think that Pop would have asked for the world and if the Lakers offered it to him, he would have then demanded the Moon. I also don't think that Pop wanted young stars he needed to develop.

Pop likely wasn't gonna trade in conference, true. But that's not really the core point I was getting at. I'm mainly saying their (and any team's) approach should be to do whatever it takes to get that talent. Kawhi is a top 10 player, arguably top 5. If they wanted all of Ball, Ingram, Kuz, you give it to them because you'd have freaking Lebron James and Kawhi Leonard (same for Davis).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop likely wasn't gonna trade in conference, true. But that's not really the core point I was getting at. I'm mainly saying their (and any team's) approach should be to do whatever it takes to get that talent. Kawhi is a top 10 player, arguably top 5. If they wanted all of Ball, Ingram, Kuz, you give it to them because you'd have freaking Lebron James and Kawhi Leonard (same for Davis).

I agree with you completely. Heck I wanted the Sixers to give up Fultz/Saric/Cov/Smith for Kawhi eventhough I really didn't want to give up any of those players.

Basketball is about having top end talent. Give me an existing all-nba level player over a potental all-nba player any day.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand why the Lakers didn't make the trade, although I'm not sure that gutting the team is an accurate description.

They basically wanted all of the young players or 3 of them and picks. That's gutting the team.

It's always a tough decision to trade away young assets that COULD become really good. But in hindsight would you have traded Ingram and Kuzma for Paul George? IMO, I think that a lot of Lakers nation was against giving up those pieces because they felt that they could just get him in FA.

The Lakers weren't getting him for just Ingram and Kuzma. But if that was an acceptable to offer to Indy and the Lakers knew they were getting Lebron, then yes. But they didn't know they were getting Lebron.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does everyone assume PG was bothered?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I assume he was bothered because he said he was bothered. He said that he didn't feel like the Lakers tried hard enough to trade for him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this is how I see it. I don't think he was angry at the Lakers so much as appreciative of the love he got in OKC.

He wasn't angry, but he did say that he didn't think the Lakers tried hard enough to trade for him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this is how I see it. I don't think he was angry at the Lakers so much as appreciative of the love he got in OKC.

No one said he was angry. But he did say that he didn't think the Lakers tried hard enough to trade for him.

So, it was a combination of the love he was shown in OKC and not thinking the Lakers tried hard enough to get him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at gutted the team? Ingram plays the same position as PG and if they were serious about having him team up with LBJ then there was no real need to have Ingram on the team. A 2 for 1 trade for a top 15 player and one of the best 2 way players is far from gutting your team.

Except that's not what Indy asked for and the Lakers didn't know they were getting Lebron.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,747.11
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he got traded there.....I brought up the cancer issue.....I was assured he's happy now.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,747.11
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what it boils down to. The Lakers gambled that they could get him in FA and they lost. And if they are banking on a huge FA haul next year, they are setting themselves up for disappointment again..

Because, they failed last summer?

We landed a big fish in James.....and several key pieces that have played well, despite the shade thrown at them.....McGee, Rondo, and Stephenson have all played well.

And let's just say they don't land another superstar (I doubt it, but it's possible) they can swing a trade for a player on a dumpster fire.....there are several that can be acquired.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because, they failed last summer?

Because it is hard to land superstar free agents. Every team is trying to bring them in and so much of it is driven by personal relationships of the player.

Maybe Kawhi will come to LA. Maybe Kawhi will love playing with Lowry and Siakim and stay in Toronto. Or maybe he will prefer the Clippers over the circus that is the Lebron James media circle. I think it is pretty clear that Kyrie and KD will not be joining Lebron anytime soon.

So then you are looking at guys like Walker or Middleton who are not superstars but great players that will have numerous suitors.

When you have the chance to get a All-NBA level player, I think you do whatever you can to do it.