• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy Butler causing more problems

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is story #1 out of like 3 needed stories for full Philly lockerroom meltdown. So my enthusiasm is tempered.

But you can't get to story #3 without story #1 first. ;)

:pop2:

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gave up 2 pretty good fish on good contracts for a rental?
at this point in time, a potential rental.plus dario is coming up, love dario. either way, hinkie's players where still able to land a potential blueprint that fucking popped collar couldn't and fucked up

that being said, let's not act like everyone outside of sixers fans weren't calling them trash before that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to love the media narrative about the Sixers always being a soap opera. 2 weeks ago it was Embiid "criticizing" Brown because of his role in the offense. Last week it was Embiid hates Simmons because Simmons inadvertently elbowed him on a rebound. This week it is Butler being a problem because he wants more pick and rolls. Pretty soon we will be back to Kendall Jenner being a problem for the cohesion of the team.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to love the media narrative about the Sixers always being a soap opera. 2 weeks ago it was Embiid "criticizing" Brown because of his role in the offense. Last week it was Embiid hates Simmons because Simmons inadvertently elbowed him on a rebound. This week it is Butler being a problem because he wants more pick and rolls. Pretty soon we will be back to Kendall Jenner being a problem for the cohesion of the team.
embiid definitely called simmons out on that one as the play happened i believe the quote was 'he's fighting for a rebound' or something, granted it was taken out of context. Joel was worried about the hit to the face that resulted and acted in kind, and explained himself so.fuck, now i see jenner fuck that whole clan, i know they're a thing from forces outside of ourselves, but i'm pretty sure if we just said no for just a month collectively, they'd be gone. but they're not going out with one of the hottest players in the nba for nothing, fucking hole should tell him to shoot a three every now and again if we're being honest.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh...I normally not one to take the lazy "ESPN SUCKS! THEY MAKE SHIT UP FOR RATINGS" approach but this sorta feels warranted. Not that they are making it up, both Woj and Shelburne are solid, but I think they are definitely sensationalizing this. For one, of course there are gonna be issues. They've had Butler for what, a month? It's hard to integrate star players into a team on the fly, especially so when that star's skillset doesn't entirely mess with what the team is doing. Which brings me to my 2nd point; Jimmy is sorta right here. They basically just plugged him into Covington's role. That's not his game. Now I'm not saying you totally scrap the entire motion offense to just run Iso-Jimmy, I'm just pointing out Jimmy isn't just ranting for no reason. There's justification there. And that leads me to my last point, Jimmy Butler is direct. Being direct doesn't mean there's malice, but some can interpret it as aggression and malice. And that's where I think ESPN is sensationalizing this story. Both Butler and Brown are direct types so what's really something closer to two friends/roommates arguing and then going out for pizza like its no thing gets played up as you're one step away from a street fight.

This seems like nothing more than growing pains of a new roster trying to find the right fit.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh...I normally not one to take the lazy "ESPN SUCKS! THEY MAKE SHIT UP FOR RATINGS" approach but this sorta feels warranted. Not that they are making it up, both Woj and Shelburne are solid, but I think they are definitely sensationalizing this. For one, of course there are gonna be issues. They've had Butler for what, a month? It's hard to integrate star players into a team on the fly, especially so when that star's skillset doesn't entirely mess with what the team is doing. Which brings me to my 2nd point; Jimmy is sorta right here. They basically just plugged him into Covington's role. That's not his game. Now I'm not saying you totally scrap the entire motion offense to just run Iso-Jimmy, I'm just pointing out Jimmy isn't just ranting for no reason. There's justification there. And that leads me to my last point, Jimmy Butler is direct. Being direct doesn't mean there's malice, but some can interpret it as aggression and malice. And that's where I think ESPN is sensationalizing this story. Both Butler and Brown are direct types so what's really something closer to two friends/roommates arguing and then going out for pizza like its no thing gets played up as you're one step away from a street fight.

This seems like nothing more than growing pains of a new roster trying to find the right fit.

100% agree with all of this. I do think Brown needs to do more to set some pick and rolls for Jimmy. He really doesn't seem to like those, much preferring the dribble hand offs and his movement offense. I'm not sure that is the best system for the players the Sixers have. I also think that's why the Sixers tend to struggle late in games in the half court.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree with all of this. I do think Brown needs to do more to set some pick and rolls for Jimmy. He really doesn't seem to like those, much preferring the dribble hand offs and his movement offense. I'm not sure that is the best system for the players the Sixers have. I also think that's why the Sixers tend to struggle late in games in the half court.

They really should involve Simmons more in pick and roll also. In fact, I think if they used more ball screens it would give Simmons a way to be productive late in games where he is often reduced to spectator status. A Simmons/Embiid ball screen duo would be basically unguardable.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really should involve Simmons more in pick and roll also. In fact, I think if they used more ball screens it would give Simmons a way to be productive late in games where he is often reduced to spectator status. A Simmons/Embiid ball screen duo would be basically unguardable.

I completely agree. For the life of me I can't figure out why they don't do that. Put Embiid at the elbow, have Simmons run by his pick. Leaves Embiid wide open to receive a pass on his outside shoulder or leaves Simmons open to take a short jumper, which he is comfortable with, or run to the rim as Embiid clears out. There can't be 3 teams in the league that could effectively defend that play.

And honestly I think that play would be even more deadly with Butler and Simmons with Simmons playing the pick. Swing Embiid out to the perimeter on the other side. I don't understand why they don't run that play 5 times a night.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty soon we will be back to Kendall Jenner being a problem for the cohesion of the team.

Wait!! What?!?

There's a Sixer dating Kendall Jenner?

There's your problem right there. Even Kardashian hybrids are dangerous.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait!! What?!?

There's a Sixer dating Kendall Jenner?

There's your problem right there. Even Kardashian hybrids are dangerous.

I've been hearing nonsense rumors about how Simmons wants to play in LA to be closer to Kendall. I swear the basketball rumor mill starts with a premise of "Player X wants to play in L.A." and works backwards from there.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been hearing nonsense rumors about how Simmons wants to play in LA to be closer to Kendall. I swear the basketball rumor mill starts with a premise of "Player X wants to play in L.A." and works backwards from there.

Lol. Yeah, it's pretty much a given that if there's a superstar or likely superstar anywhere in the league, at some point there will be a rumor that he wants to be a Laker.

As a Lakers fan, it's both a blessing and a curse.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And honestly I think that play would be even more deadly with Butler and Simmons with Simmons playing the pick. Swing Embiid out to the perimeter on the other side. I don't understand why they don't run that play 50 times a night.

Fixed that for you......

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

Was thinking the same.

Well, it was an embellishment of sorts.
Embiid has to get his.

But, late in the game, I worry about Embiid passing out of double teams and think that Butler using Simmons as the pick is a much better percentage play for a Bulter 3PA, Butler drive, or pass to Ben for the roll inside.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it was an embellishment of sorts.
Embiid has to get his.

But, late in the game, I worry about Embiid passing out of double teams and think that Butler using Simmons as the pick is a much better percentage play for a Bulter 3PA, Butler drive, or pass to Ben for the roll inside.

Of course.

50 isn't realistic.

But 5 isn't nearly enough.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree with all of this but problem is Butler is a free agent. You have to think if there aren't changes to his role in the offense by end of season that he will seriously consider moving on in the summer

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Lakers fan, it's both a blessing and a curse.

Definitely both. The problem is that while L.A. and the Lakers in particular are a highly desirable location, it's not like it is miles and miles better than other locations. As we saw with Paul George last off season, just because a player would like to go to L.A. doesn't mean that they will. There are far too many other factors.

I used to hear this crap about the Knicks ALL THE TIME in the 80s and 90s when they were still competitive. Knicks fans assumed that every star wanted to play in NY. And they were also shocked when players chose other locations.

And, to be honest, I think having Lebron add to the blessing and curse aspect because there will be some stars that would chase a ring with Lebron, there are others that simply have no desire to play with him.