• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy Butler causing more problems

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with all of this but problem is Butler is a free agent. You have to think if there aren't changes to his role in the offense by end of season that he will seriously consider moving on in the summer

If the Sixers do well and get fairly deep into the playoffs and they are willing to pay Jimmy what he wants, he will remain a Sixer.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it was an embellishment of sorts.
Embiid has to get his.

But, late in the game, I worry about Embiid passing out of double teams and think that Butler using Simmons as the pick is a much better percentage play for a Bulter 3PA, Butler drive, or pass to Ben for the roll inside.

I agree that it should be a core aspect to our game.

IMO, this is where not having an effective Markelle Fultz hurts us. If he were effective, the Sixers could shift Simmons to a low post distrubtor who would demand a double team. And the pick and roll would be far more lethal because Simmons could get the ball deeper in the paint and cause real trouble.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Sixers do well and get fairly deep into the playoffs and they are willing to pay Jimmy what he wants, he will remain a Sixer.

I think this is probably true. Because the whole Minnesota beef seemed to originate because the Wolves paid Wiggins and didn't seem sold on offering Butler max $.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is probably true. Because the whole Minnesota beef seemed to originate because the Wolves paid Wiggins and didn't seem sold on offering Butler max $.

Yup. IMO, Jimmy has 2 concerns. Winning and getting paid. I really don't believe he is a stat obsessed player. If the Sixers are willing to pay him and they continue to win I doubt he would care if he were playing 20 minutes a game.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. IMO, Jimmy has 2 concerns. Winning and getting paid. I really don't believe he is a stat obsessed player. If the Sixers are willing to pay him and they continue to win I doubt he would care if he were playing 20 minutes a game.
i just have no idea what you base that on considering he is bitching about the offnse right now despite the team winning.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just have no idea what you base that on considering he is bitching about the offnse right now despite the team winning.

Oh? What did he say? I must have missed the quote.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah yah i know---- Adrian Woj is a genius with the best sources right up until the point he reports something negative against your team.

I'm sure his source is valid. But since Woj doesn't even know what was actually said, this falls under the rumor category.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really should involve Simmons more in pick and roll also. In fact, I think if they used more ball screens it would give Simmons a way to be productive late in games where he is often reduced to spectator status. A Simmons/Embiid ball screen duo would be basically unguardable.

Simmons needs to improve his shot for that to happen though. If you used a Simmons/Embiid screen alot, defenders could just hang back and dare Simmons to shoot. I suppose that's why they are still stick with the motion almost exclusively even though they don't really have the shooters (minus Redick) for it be effective as it should. They just don't want to abandon what they've been doing on the fly.

Agree with all of this but problem is Butler is a free agent. You have to think if there aren't changes to his role in the offense by end of season that he will seriously consider moving on in the summer

He could, but Jimmy does say he wants to play for championships. There aren't many other options out there that would have the talent to do so. I suppose he could go to the Lakers with Lebron or more likely see if he could pair up with Durant somewhere, but those are the only options where he'd be in a better spot talent wise. Plus, its not like its dysfunctional in Philly right now anyway. They win the vast majority of the games he plays. They just have couple of wrinkles to iron out, which they knew were coming when they made the trade. I don't think the flight risk there just yet.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, to be honest, I think having Lebron add to the blessing and curse aspect because there will be some stars that would chase a ring with Lebron, there are others that simply have no desire to play with him.

Yeah, I've never really understood that. To me, with very few exceptions, it's a question of is it more important to the player to win titles or to be "the man".

For PG, he's clearly not going to be "the man" in OKC as long as Westbrook is there, so for him, I think he made an emotional decision not necessarily a logical decision.

He was apparently bothered that the Lakers didn't try harder to trade for him (which is stupid) and he was really moved by how welcoming the fans, the organization and Westbrook were to him.

I think deciding to stay in OKC likely costs him any shot at a title. But if he's happy there, then good for him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've never really understood that. To me, with very few exceptions, it's a question of is it more important to the player to win titles or to be "the man".

For PG, he's clearly not going to be "the man" in OKC as long as Westbrook is there, so for him, I think he made an emotional decision not necessarily a logical decision.

He was apparently bothered that the Lakers didn't try harder to trade for him (which is stupid) and he was really moved by how welcoming the fans, the organization and Westbrook were to him.

I think deciding to stay in OKC likely costs him any shot at a title. But if he's happy there, then good for him.

I don't think it is stupid for PG to be upset that the Lakers didn't make a move for him. The Thunder did. The Lakers didn't. I think it is natural for a player to feel more appreciation for the team that made the move for him than the team that didn't.

Which is why it is ALWAYS risky to wait for a player to hit FA and bring them in.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure his source is valid. But since Woj doesn't even know what was actually said, this falls under the rumor category.

I have a feeling that this is similar to when Magic "chewed out" Luke earlier in the season. Turned about to be much ado about nothing.

Woj reported on that too. Woj is as good as it gets, that's why he gets so much respect. But he's not always 100% spot on and sometimes his sources don't always have a complete grasp of the situation.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is stupid for PG to be upset that the Lakers didn't make a move for him.

He expected the Lakers to essentially gut the team to get him. Which is what they would have had to do to get him.

So, they were supposed to give up a bunch of assets and weaken the team he would be going to, when he could have signed with them after the season with them not giving up any assets. To me, that's stupid.

OKC gave up Oladipo and Sabonis. Because they still had Westbrook among others, that doesn't weaken the team that he was joining nearly as much as what the Lakers would have had to give up. The addition of PG, especially with the way he's been playing becomes a net gain for OKC because Oladipo and Sabonis weren't playing like they are now when they were in OKC. Especially 'Dipo.

And the Lakers did make a move for him, but they weren't willing to gut the team for him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that this is similar to when Magic "chewed out" Luke earlier in the season. Turned about to be much ado about nothing.

Woj reported on that too. Woj is as good as it gets, that's why he gets so much respect. But he's not always 100% spot on and sometimes his sources don't always have a complete grasp of the situation.

Yeah. When it comes to this sort of stuff, it's amusing to laugh about it but if there are REAL problems you will get REAL quotes

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He expected the Lakers to essentially gut the team to get him. Which is what they would have had to do to get him.

So, they were supposed to give up a bunch of assets and weaken the team he would be going to, when he could have signed with them after the season with them not giving up any assets. To me, that's stupid.

OKC gave up Oladipo and Sabonis. Because they still had Westbrook among others, that doesn't weaken the team that he was joining nearly as much as what the Lakers would have had to give up.

And the Lakers did make a move for him, but they weren't willing to gut the team for him.

I understand why the Lakers didn't make the trade, although I'm not sure that gutting the team is an accurate description.

It's always a tough decision to trade away young assets that COULD become really good. But in hindsight would you have traded Ingram and Kuzma for Paul George? IMO, I think that a lot of Lakers nation was against giving up those pieces because they felt that they could just get him in FA.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why does everyone assume PG was bothered?

He liked playing in OKC. Why leave a place he likes, for less money, for an unknown?

I don't think PG's decision had anything to do with the Lakers. OKC had a year to sell Paul George and they did it.

I am happy at my current job. I have a great boss and I like my coworkers. I wouldn't even consider leaving unless I was offered a lot more money elsewhere. I think most people are like that. Why would PG leave a job he liked for less money somewhere else?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does everyone assume PG was bothered?

He liked playing in OKC. Why leave a place he likes, for less money, for an unknown?

I don't think PG's decision had anything to do with the Lakers. OKC had a year to sell Paul George and they did it.

I am happy at my current job. I have a great boss and I like my coworkers. I wouldn't even consider leaving unless I was offered a lot more money elsewhere. I think most people are like that. Why would PG leave a job he liked for less money somewhere else?

Yeah this is how I see it. I don't think he was angry at the Lakers so much as appreciative of the love he got in OKC.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 152,121.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So that’s all the Sixers have to do to temporarily make this malcontent pos happy?