• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry Rice

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland has had Jim Brown as a consultant two times right? Or is it more? I'm pretty sure Belichick hired him in 1993 and it isn't like he turned Metcalf into a 1000 yard back. Then I believe Holmgren hired him as a consultant when they drafted Richardson.

It just doesn't work that way. Hiring the GOAT as a consultant doesn't magically turn players into better players.

To me it is nothing more than a publicity stunt to distract the fans.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly not sure what point you are trying to make. Talent isn't enough, and the two are the two best ever, with no one all that close behind. Both can add value, and could teach different things.

My only comment on rice helping is he shouldn't have publicly offered.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randy was every bit the receiver Jerry was. Both could seriously help young receivers out if they were willing to listen.

Not even close. If Moss had half the work ethic he would have scored 20 TD's a year. You can't teach what Moss had so how is he going to pass that along to the young guys? Jerry Rice outworked everyone in the game. That is something that can be passed down. A guy like Moss who never really achieved his full potential isn't very inspiring. A guy like Rice who far exceeded his, will inspire you. He is a true champion.

There is a story about Rice training with a bunch of guys from other sports and they were running sprints. Everyone was really tired. Barry Bonds was there. Rice actually got offended that Bonds was trying to outwork him and beat him in the runs and they said the next run after that Rice beat the field by 10 steps.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close. If Moss had half the work ethic he would have scored 20 TD's a year. You can't teach what Moss had so how is he going to pass that along to the young guys? Jerry Rice outworked everyone in the game. That is something that can be passed down. A guy like Moss who never really achieved his full potential isn't very inspiring. A guy like Rice who far exceeded his, will inspire you. He is a true champion.

There is a story about Rice training with a bunch of guys from other sports and they were running sprints. Everyone was really tired. Barry Bonds was there. Rice actually got offended that Bonds was trying to outwork him and beat him in the runs and they said the next run after that Rice beat the field by 10 steps.

Did you hear the story last year about how Crabtree went from being the guy who sat in the back of the room with his hoodie up during meetings to sitting in the front row because that is where Randy liked to sit and he got Crabs to follow him?

Or the stories that quoted Alex and Colin saying that Randy would come back to the huddle and tell them to look for and recognize certain coverages?

There is no question that Jerry outworked everyone. But, Randy knows just as much about being a WR as Jerry. He was taught by Carter and then he himself learned a lot and had an amazing work ethic off the field. He was out of the NFL for an entire year and he came back in 2012 with the exact same physical appearance that he left with in 2010. And was averaging 15.5 yards per catch. It is unfortunate that Moss never embraced the the position like Jerry did, and he took a more selfish approach... but that dood knows his stuff and all of the young WRs looked up to him and learned from him last year.

In my biased opinion, the 49ers passing game is already missing him dearly. Just putting him on the field changes how defenses play the 49ers. They sure as hell wouldn't be playing press man coverage on him while they double Boldin

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you hear the story last year about how Crabtree went from being the guy who sat in the back of the room with his hoodie up during meetings to sitting in the front row because that is where Randy liked to sit and he got Crabs to follow him?

Or the stories that quoted Alex and Colin saying that Randy would come back to the huddle and tell them to look for and recognize certain coverages?

There is no question that Jerry outworked everyone. But, Randy knows just as much about being a WR as Jerry. He was taught by Carter and then he himself learned a lot and had an amazing work ethic off the field. He was out of the NFL for an entire year and he came back in 2012 with the exact same physical appearance that he left with in 2010. And was averaging 15.5 yards per catch. It is unfortunate that Moss never embraced the the position like Jerry did, and he took a more selfish approach... but that dood knows his stuff and all of the young WRs looked up to him and learned from him last year.

In my biased opinion, the 49ers passing game is already missing him dearly. Just putting him on the field changes how defenses play the 49ers. They sure as hell wouldn't be playing press man coverage on him while they double Boldin

Lead by example. OK, he sat in the front row and told them to recognize coverages. But he is also the guy that never gave 100% for the stretch of an entire game. Jerry Rice was consistent every single day. Not saying that nobody learned from him, but I think you would get a lot more from Rice.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lead by example. OK, he sat in the front row and told them to recognize coverages. But he is also the guy that never gave 100% for the stretch of an entire game. Jerry Rice was consistent every single day. Not saying that nobody learned from him, but I think you would get a lot more from Rice.

I think all of the young guys are smart enough not to follow that example. They know that they won't be catching 15 TDs a year and then in a position where the coaches will overlook it for a little while. I agree that Rice is the best role model and mentor for young WRs, but I also feel guys like Moss and Boldin offer a lot and have excellent qualifications for that mentor role.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all of the young guys are smart enough not to follow that example. They know that they won't be catching 15 TDs a year and then in a position where the coaches will overlook it for a little while. I agree that Rice is the best role model and mentor for young WRs, but I also feel guys like Moss and Boldin offer a lot and have excellent qualifications for that mentor role.

Do they need to catch 15 TD a year? All that they need to do is try and improve themselves. There is a reason former players like Tom Rathman are still helping running backs.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they need to catch 15 TD a year? All that they need to do is try and improve themselves. There is a reason former players like Tom Rathman are still helping running backs.

I was just trying to say Moss got away with his shit because of his ability to score a lot of TDs. Even then, he always wore out his welcome. I think most fans and young players know that Randy gave a lot of examples of what not to do, but he still has an incredible work ethic and has a high football IQ.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nope. Wouldn't want Rice to be a consultant or anywhere near teaching wide receivers. He's a neurotic perfectionist, whose methods worked for him, but could potentially be a disaster as a teacher / consultant.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think this is the best thread to post this news:

Alshon Jeffery - WR - Bears

Brandon Marshall said Alshon Jeffery "could be the best to ever do it."

Marshall was heaping hyperbole on his teammate following Jeffery's 10/218/1 line against the Saints. But it's obvious the Bears found a gem by scooping up Jeffery in the second round of the 2012 draft. He would have been a surefire first-rounder if not for a disastrous final season at South Carolina that saw him fall victim to weight gain and poor quarterback play. Jeffery will come back to earth as defenses start taking him more seriously, but he's a surefire WR3 against the Giants Thursday night.
Source: CSN Chicago

Oct 7 - 10:55 AM