• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry Rice

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish he'd stop saying that, he makes the young WRs look like assholes to the fans because they don't spend 8 hours a week following Jerry around. I feel like anything Jerry would tell them has been told and taught by Randy and Anquan. Along with the WR coach and OC.

What I love about Joe Montana is how he understands that if he threw his name in and offered help every time the 49ers have a young QB it does more harm than good... because you can't teach greatness. Hanging out with Joe Montana doesn't make you a HOF QB, look at his son... and the only thing Joe would accomplish is getting the fan base to hate the young QB even more because even though he has a QB coach, an OC, and a HC... he is an asshole for not making time to be taught by Joe.

notmyfault

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish he'd stop saying that, he makes the young WRs look like assholes to the fans because they don't spend 8 hours a week following Jerry around. I feel like anything Jerry would tell them has been told and taught by Randy and Anquan. Along with the WR coach and OC.

What I love about Joe Montana is how he understands that if he threw his name in and offered help every time the 49ers have a young QB it does more harm than good... because you can't teach greatness. Hanging out with Joe Montana doesn't make you a HOF QB, look at his son... and the only thing Joe would accomplish is getting the fan base to hate the young QB even more because even though he has a QB coach, an OC, and a HC... he is an asshole for not making time to be taught by Joe.

I respectfully feel like your opinion is wrong. I think there's something to be said for people who are willing to share their life experiences or the ingredients to their success. Although I believe Moss and AB have a lot to offer to the next generation of WRs, that does not cover necessarily what Rice could offer. Each veteran has their own experiences to offer these young WRs; however, just because you have mastered a craft, does not mean you can teach the craft.

And IMO, any WR who does not take up an offer from a HOF is severely doing a disservice to their development. It shows their lack of willingness to listen and learn, which is a vital ingredient to success across the board.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please Jerry help them.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I tend to agree. I remember Deion giving Crabtree advice to hold out for more money. Jerry can run them up the 'hill' and give them advice but he can't teach what made him the GOAT. It really is more of a slap in the faces of the coaches who are trying to teach them. If he wants to be a coach ,then be one....otherwise step out of the way. Joe Namath syndrome.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Careful guys he might just come up North.

51694511_crop_650x440.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who is the last receiver they actually developed? So far they have been terrible with that position. A guy like Jerry Rice might actually be able to help someone develop the work ethic it takes to be great. Boldin can be a good mentor, but why leave it at that when the greatest football player of all time is reaching out to help?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I respectfully feel like your opinion is wrong. I think there's something to be said for people who are willing to share their life experiences or the ingredients to their success. Although I believe Moss and AB have a lot to offer to the next generation of WRs, that does not cover necessarily what Rice could offer. Each veteran has their own experiences to offer these young WRs; however, just because you have mastered a craft, does not mean you can teach the craft.

And IMO, any WR who does not take up an offer from a HOF is severely doing a disservice to their development. It shows their lack of willingness to listen and learn, which is a vital ingredient to success across the board.

I see both of your points, as I do think players can be helpful/insightful or meddlesome, but either way, I think it would be better if the greats offered their services privately and if asked about it by the media, in case of deferral, give a standard PC remark saying they would be willing to help in whatever way the players, coaches, and organization seemed fit, whether that be a team visit, player advice, or coaching. I normally don't like standard responses, but feel this calls for one.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is the last receiver they actually developed? So far they have been terrible with that position. A guy like Jerry Rice might actually be able to help someone develop the work ethic it takes to be great. Boldin can be a good mentor, but why leave it at that when the greatest football player of all time is reaching out to help?

I guess Josh Morgan is the last guy they developed, nothing spectacular but a couple 500 yard seasons from a 6th round pick isn't too bad. Did you honestly expect great things with the last few HC and their staff? Nolan wasn't going to develop any WRs without Norv andSingletary sure as hell wasn't developing anybody on offense. Harbaugh's staff did eventually get the best out of Crabtree, although a QB switch arguably helped, and hasn't had much to work with since Jenkins was a bust.

Who has Jerry Rice developed? John Taylor grew up with him, only drafted 2 years later so you can't say Jerry brought him up. Just starting in 1990, Sherrard had good years under Rice and Taylor and put up some OK numbers with the Giants, not #1 WR stuff. Ed McCaffery eventually had success in Denver, but he only spent one year with the 49ers and didn't break 1000 yards until 4 years after his season with Rice. Nate Singleton didn't turn into a better WR because he was around Rice. JJ Stokes didn't turn into anything special, even though he spent a number of years learning from Rice. Uwaezuke is another WR drafted by the 49ers who didn't turn into anything even though he had Rice to learn from. I guess I could keep listing the WRs, but what is the point? I think most of us know that Terrell Owens is the only WR who came up with the 49ers and followed Rice around who actually turned into a megastar.

It was well documented that when Jerry was playing here... all of the WRs trained with him and tried to soak in as much knowledge as they could, but only one guy actually turned into something special. That should tell you something. It simply doesn't work that way. I'd argue that Owens succeeded because he not only had the physical talent but a very similar drive to be great. Traits Owens already had that simply cannot be learned just by talking to Jerry Rice.

Nobody has to agree with me, but I firmly believe that Jerry consulting our WRs won't do a single thing. I already know this because I watched as a bunch of WRs came and went in the 90s and only one guy actually turned into a star. If Jerry as a player couldn't magically turn bad WRs into better WRs, why would he be able to do it as a consultant?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see both of your points, as I do think players can be helpful/insightful or meddlesome, but either way, I think it would be better if the greats offered their services privately and if asked about it by the media, in case of deferral, give a standard PC remark saying they would be willing to help in whatever way the players, coaches, and organization seemed fit, whether that be a team visit, player advice, or coaching. I normally don't like standard responses, but feel this calls for one.

This was more or less what I was intending to say. I like the willingness to help, but it should be done privately, either through the coaching staff or by calling the individual receivers.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wait, what? Did you seriously equate learning from Randy or Anquan as equal to that of Jerry Rice?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randy was every bit the receiver Jerry was. Both could seriously help young receivers out if they were willing to listen.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Josh Morgan is the last guy they developed, nothing spectacular but a couple 500 yard seasons from a 6th round pick isn't too bad. Did you honestly expect great things with the last few HC and their staff? Nolan wasn't going to develop any WRs without Norv andSingletary sure as hell wasn't developing anybody on offense. Harbaugh's staff did eventually get the best out of Crabtree, although a QB switch arguably helped, and hasn't had much to work with since Jenkins was a bust.

Who has Jerry Rice developed? John Taylor grew up with him, only drafted 2 years later so you can't say Jerry brought him up. Just starting in 1990, Sherrard had good years under Rice and Taylor and put up some OK numbers with the Giants, not #1 WR stuff. Ed McCaffery eventually had success in Denver, but he only spent one year with the 49ers and didn't break 1000 yards until 4 years after his season with Rice. Nate Singleton didn't turn into a better WR because he was around Rice. JJ Stokes didn't turn into anything special, even though he spent a number of years learning from Rice. Uwaezuke is another WR drafted by the 49ers who didn't turn into anything even though he had Rice to learn from. I guess I could keep listing the WRs, but what is the point? I think most of us know that Terrell Owens is the only WR who came up with the 49ers and followed Rice around who actually turned into a megastar.

It was well documented that when Jerry was playing here... all of the WRs trained with him and tried to soak in as much knowledge as they could, but only one guy actually turned into something special. That should tell you something. It simply doesn't work that way. I'd argue that Owens succeeded because he not only had the physical talent but a very similar drive to be great. Traits Owens already had that simply cannot be learned just by talking to Jerry Rice.

Nobody has to agree with me, but I firmly believe that Jerry consulting our WRs won't do a single thing. I already know this because I watched as a bunch of WRs came and went in the 90s and only one guy actually turned into a star. If Jerry as a player couldn't magically turn bad WRs into better WRs, why would he be able to do it as a consultant?

stokes and owens benefited a lot from rice. imo their excellent route running was from training with rice.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, what? Did you seriously equate learning from Randy or Anquan as equal to that of Jerry Rice?

Yes. How many ways do you think there are to be taught how to run routes, read coverages, and block for your teammates?? It is simple stuff and either you get it or you don't. Whether you believe it or not, Randy Moss is one of the most knowledgeable WRs around... the QBs, WRs, and coaches were singing his praises all last year about what he was teaching them during games and in meetings. Boldin is another guy who knows his shit and again; the coaches, QBs, and young WRs have complemented him a lot and said they are learning a lot from him.

As much as Jerry knows about playing WR. I have no doubt that Moss is right there with him and Boldin isn't too far behind those guys.

stilla9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randy was every bit the receiver Jerry was. Both could seriously help young receivers out if they were willing to listen.

I believe that Randy Moss learned from a great also.

As for Boldin, if Rice walked throw the locker room doors he would be the first to go tho him. ( imo )
I don't see in anyway what it would hurt if Rice joined the staff. If you put 7 WRs in fron of him and only one became an above average WR (to play on the other side of Crabtree), its still a plus in my book.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did, but for all his talent on the field he also knew the position very well.

stilla9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did, but for all his talent on the field he also knew the position very well.

And I agree with that also. But Moss was a train wreck waiting to happen coming out of Marshall. No telling how he would developed on and off the field without Carter. Not taking anything away from his great talent. But we all know that talent isn't all it takes in this league.