• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerome Bettis does not belong in the hall of fame

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Steeler fan, I don't think he's a HOF.

Pretty insane that both Brown and Bettis get in over Harrison and Pace. Harrison and Pace are the definition of a no doubt HOF, to have marginal guys get in because 'its their turn' cheapens the entire process.

This.

Faceless, I like Bettis. Not believing he's Hall-worthy isn't indicative of "bitterness." element's post probably characterize's most Steelers fans honest opinion.

The Hall just lost some credibility.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you look up John Riggins' stats for me... His career YPC to be exact...

Oh and just so you know... He's in the HOF

I am fan of home town guy Bettis. But he doesn't belong in the HoF. Neither does Riggins. HoF should be for great players and just because they have let some marginal guys in doesn't make it a right for other marginal guys to get in.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Faceless, I like Bettis. Not believing he's Hall-worthy isn't indicative of "bitterness." element's post probably characterize's most Steelers fans honest opinion.

The Hall just lost some credibility.

Yes I was a bit overzealous with the bitterness BS. I was all up in arms over people's blanket statement type opinions which I thought was pretty unfair. Look at some of the first posts, you couldn't tell me that if you were a Steelers fan that shit wouldn't stir you up lol. But I've already wiped my hands clean of it and moved on, not going to beat a dead horse.

Steelers fans honest opinion... I wouldn't have any clue of that statement's merits since I can't speak for all of Steeler Nation. I can say that more than 90% of the fans I have talked to say he's more than worthy of being enshrined, so I myself wouldn't agree. But that's biased since the majority are all Steelers fans. :noidea:

Like I said before... Could care less whether people want to think he's worthy or not. He's in and I'm happy for him.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The HOF is for the players. I do not get caught up in who is in or out. More power to them if they can survive long enough to get there.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to Wiz & others for getting my panties in a wad last night... I blame cheap beer and lack of sleep all week.

But I'll throw one more post and then let this be...

People tend to forget about what the majority of football was like back then... Younger people can't look past the 3.9 ypc because they are spoiled with this pass happy (light up the scoreboard) NFL that we know today. Some fans know stats, but don’t understand football. At least not the brand of football back then. I'm talking defenses playing against the run, 8 men in the box... They know you're running it, but they still couldn't stop you. That to me was the definition of Bettis. There wasn't many people that ever played in the NFL that were considered a true closer like Bettis was. Bill Cowher was 100-1-1 in games when his team led by 11 points at any point in the game... That's thanks IN LARGE to Bettis. It was something that you would have had to watch in order to understand. A 17-7 game used to be joked about as "A Steelers Blowout" because 10 points was pretty much an insurmountable lead thanks to Jerome. He could not be stopped in the 4th quarter. 3 yards, 5 yards, 4 yards, 6 yards, everyone knew that #36 was coming, but they simply couldn’t stop him. You could visibly see defenses deflating before him as the clock wound down. And he did that with an inferior supporting cast to the likes of Terrell Davis or Emmitt Smith. His QB's were Kordell Stewart & Tommy Maddox... I don't mention Barry Sanders because he was a freak of nature and did it all by himself, so he is the only exemption. But like I said, Bettis was the one of, if not the closest thing to a closer the NFL ever had. He rarely ever dazzled you, but he was the most dependable player that this franchise has probably ever seen.

So whether you find him very good or HOF material... It doesn't matter... He is in the HOF and I couldn't be happier for him.

Exactly!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, the only reason that Jerome Bettis made it to the HoF is because he had so many carries. He was never a dominant player at his position. In 9 of his 14 years in the NFL, he had a YPC of 3.8 or less. That is terrible. 4.0 YPC is considered a basic bench mark for being a starter in the NFL. The only reason he accumulated 13,000 yards is because he loitered around the league for so long.

Most people (including me) don't consider Emmitt the best RB of alltime...to your point...there are already plenty of players in the HOF that don't have gaudy stats...where I disagree with you is dominance...not his entire career but for a substantial part of it...he WAS the focal point of the OFC, and the opposing teams knew this.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's is something to be said for endurance and longevity especially in a RB. He's 6th in rushing yards. Everyone else in the top 10 who is eligible is in. Tomlinson will be joining the club shortly. He's 10th in rushing TDs. Everyone else in the top 13 is either in or will be soon save Shaun Alexander. Get over it guys.