• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerome Bettis does not belong in the hall of fame

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can't YOU PEOPLE just be happy for the guy?

Like it or not, he's in…

Last edited by a moderator:

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you look up John Riggins' stats for me... His career YPC to be exact...

Oh and just so you know... He's in the HOF

You know what I also see when I look at Riggins' stats? The fact that he led the league in rushing TDs (twice), was a SB MVP, and was good enough to be on an All Decade team. Bettis? Not so much he.

*shrug*

The Bus is in. Good for him. He seems like a good guy. But he was never dominant at his position, and the history of the league can absolutely be told without mentioning ing his name. Sorry if that takes some off hem us tee off, Steeler fans.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am getting soooooo sick and tired of expressing a negative opinion and instantly being tagged as "bitter" and "hate-filled."

If you don't believe The Bus belongs in the HoF, that doesn't make you bitter.

Just stop. :L

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised at the number of people that call Bettis average or not HOF worthy. I guess we all rank the importance of traits or required skill sets differently.

good post and so true

Bettis = Riggins..........and I don't have a problem with either

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to Wiz & others for getting my panties in a wad last night... I blame cheap beer and lack of sleep all week.

But I'll throw one more post and then let this be...

People tend to forget about what the majority of football was like back then... Younger people can't look past the 3.9 ypc because they are spoiled with this pass happy (light up the scoreboard) NFL that we know today. Some fans know stats, but don’t understand football. At least not the brand of football back then. I'm talking defenses playing against the run, 8 men in the box... They know you're running it, but they still couldn't stop you. That to me was the definition of Bettis. There wasn't many people that ever played in the NFL that were considered a true closer like Bettis was. Bill Cowher was 100-1-1 in games when his team led by 11 points at any point in the game... That's thanks IN LARGE to Bettis. It was something that you would have had to watch in order to understand. A 17-7 game used to be joked about as "A Steelers Blowout" because 10 points was pretty much an insurmountable lead thanks to Jerome. He could not be stopped in the 4th quarter. 3 yards, 5 yards, 4 yards, 6 yards, everyone knew that #36 was coming, but they simply couldn’t stop him. You could visibly see defenses deflating before him as the clock wound down. And he did that with an inferior supporting cast to the likes of Terrell Davis or Emmitt Smith. His QB's were Kordell Stewart & Tommy Maddox... I don't mention Barry Sanders because he was a freak of nature and did it all by himself, so he is the only exemption. But like I said, Bettis was the one of, if not the closest thing to a closer the NFL ever had. He rarely ever dazzled you, but he was the most dependable player that this franchise has probably ever seen.

So whether you find him very good or HOF material... It doesn't matter... He is in the HOF and I couldn't be happier for him.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what I also see when I look at Riggins' stats? The fact that he led the league in rushing TDs (twice), was a SB MVP, and was good enough to be on an All Decade team. Bettis? Not so much he.

*shrug*

The Bus is in. Good for him. He seems like a good guy. But he was never dominant at his position, and the history of the league can absolutely be told without mentioning ing his name. Sorry if that takes some off hem us tee off, Steeler fans.

Not dominant at his position??? Are you stoned right now, hipster??:scratch:

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to Wiz & others for getting my panties in a wad last night... I blame cheap beer and lack of sleep all week.

People tend to forget about what the majority of football was like back then... Younger people can't look past the 3.9 ypc because they are spoiled with this pass happy (light up the scoreboard) NFL that we know today. Some fans know stats, but don’t understand football. At least not the brand of football back then. I'm talking defenses playing against the run, 8 men in the box... They know you're running it, but they still couldn't stop you. That to me was the definition of Bettis. There wasn't many people that ever played in the NFL that were considered a true closer like Bettis was. Bill Cowher was 100-1-1 in games when his team led by 11 points at any point in the game... That's thanks IN LARGE to Bettis. It was something that you would have had to watch in order to understand. A 17-7 game used to be joked about as "A Steelers Blowout" because 10 points was pretty much an insurmountable lead thanks to Jerome. He could not be stopped in the 4th quarter. 3 yards, 5 yards, 4 yards, 6 yards, everyone knew that #36 was coming, but they simply couldn’t stop him. You could visibly see defenses deflating before him as the clock wound down. And he did that with an inferior supporting cast to the likes of Terrell Davis or Emmitt Smith. His QB's were Kordell Stewart & Tommy Maddox... I don't mention Barry Sanders because he was a freak of nature and did it all by himself, so he is the only exemption. But like I said, Bettis was the one of, if not the closest thing to a closer the NFL ever had. He rarely ever dazzled you, but he was the most dependable player that this franchise has probably ever seen.

So whether you find him very good or HOF material... It doesn't matter... He is in the HOF and I couldn't be happier for him.

Perfectly said! Majority of his snaps, ESPECIALLY late in games, he was going against 8, 9, sometimes TEN guys in the box.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am getting soooooo sick and tired of expressing a negative opinion and instantly being tagged as "bitter" and "hate-filled."

Then does it make you...

noun
1. a sweet, clear, semisolid, somewhat elastic spread or preserve made from fruit juice and sugar boiled to a thick consistency.
synonyms: preserve, marmalade, jam; More

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is good HOF material based on longevity and scoring but there are points against him that are valid even if you don't want to acknowledge them.

In any era, no matter who the QB was, no matter what the situation was, 3.9 ypc is not impressive. I can list many backs who performed much better with worse teams and worse QBs from time periods past. But no one can list many backs with more total yards or tds.

He is in regardless. Good for him. Time to move on in this discussion.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is good HOF material based on longevity and scoring but there are points against him that are valid even if you don't want to acknowledge them.

In any era, no matter who the QB was, no matter what the situation was, 3.9 ypc is not impressive. I can list many backs who performed much better with worse teams and worse QBs from time periods past. But no one can list many backs with more total yards or tds.

He is in regardless. Good for him. Time to move on in this discussion.

Personally, I am surprised Steelers fans aren't comparing Bettis to Floyd Little, but with a crap ton more yards from scrimmage.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year's vote is just another example of why sport's writers need to be stripped of their voting privileges for the HOF.

Maybe Bettis is a HOF...maybe he isn't. We'll never know because the writer don't follow the process like the are supposed to.

Flat out you are supposed to vote for the 5 best players every year to get into the Hall. They CLEARLY didn't do that yet again this year.

They should pull the ballots out and anyone who has Jerome Bettis on their ballot and not Orlando Pace or Kurt Warner should be kicked from voting permanently. Hell they should be barred permanently from ever stepping foot on the HOF grounds. Both of those player were SIGNIFICANTLY better players and more HOF worthy. By not voting like they are supposed to the writers are once again putting the integrity of the HOF into question.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IKR. Just express an opinion and instantly you are crying and whining. :lol:

Really won't lose sleep over anyone being in, or not getting in, just didn't agree he's that worthy. Oh well, not that big of a thing either way.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not dominant at his position??? Are you stoned right now, hipster??:scratch:

In 13 seasons:

Only 2 All Pro nods.
Only 2 seasons with more than 10 TDs.
9 seasons under 3.8 YPC. 4 at 3.5 or less. 3.4 YPC in the playoffs for his career.
Only 4 seasons over 4 YPC.
3 different seasons he played 15 games or more and only rushed for 3 TDs.
Never once led the leagues in yards, YPC, or TDs.

That's not the resume of a dominant running back. Sorry. He was good, and durable. But not dominant or elite.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerome Bettis
Ricky Watters
Eddie George
Corey Dillon

These guys all played at approximately the same time and in my opinion are all good players.

None of them belong in the HOF. The HOF is for the best of the best, not good players.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are crying about the wrong player from the Steelers. Lynn Swann is much less deserving than Bettis.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 13 seasons:

Only 2 All Pro nods.
Only 2 seasons with more than 10 TDs.
9 seasons under 3.8 YPC. 4 at 3.5 or less. 3.4 YPC in the playoffs for his career.
Only 4 seasons over 4 YPC.
3 different seasons he played 15 games or more and only rushed for 3 TDs.
Never once led the leagues in yards, YPC, or TDs.

That's not the resume of a dominant running back. Sorry. He was good, and durable. But not dominant or elite.

I get it. You didnt really watch the steelers in his prime, its fine. You're not a fan of the Steelers so I wouldnt expect you to have done so. No big woop, moving on. . .

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orlando Pace was twice the player Bettis was. Pace was arguably the most important player on the potent Rams offense.

Bettis was really good but if Big Ben doesn't make a tackle and Vanderjackt doesn't shank a FG then he goes down as one of the biggest playoff chokers of all time.

He was the #2 RB on the Steelers later on in his career. Willie Parker had the big run against the Seahawks if I remember correctly.

I get that the Bus was a power back. He was also really good at the beginning of his career and I enjoyed watching him. He shouldn't have gotten in before Pace.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orlando Pace was twice the player Bettis was. Pace was arguably the most important player on the potent Rams offense.

Bettis was really good but if Big Ben doesn't make a tackle and Vanderjackt doesn't shank a FG then he goes down as one of the biggest playoff chokers of all time.

He was the #2 RB on the Steelers later on in his career. Willie Parker had the big run against the Seahawks if I remember correctly.

I get that the Bus was a power back. He was also really good at the beginning of his career and I enjoyed watching him. He shouldn't have gotten in before Pace.

Yeah, Pace and Harrison should have gotten in this year.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Steeler fan, I don't think he's a HOF.

Pretty insane that both Brown and Bettis get in over Harrison and Pace. Harrison and Pace are the definition of a no doubt HOF, to have marginal guys get in because 'its their turn' cheapens the entire process.