• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jaylon Smith gets contract extension

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, not butt-hurt. But I'll remind you forever and ever cause you're a tool...and a liar.

Yeah, cause I have feelings.

Derp
I suppose you never were untruthful in your life. This is only a sports forum but you act like it's a big deal. You must live a sad life.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:eek::eek::eek:

aw8r598.gif

I just read somewhere that was their plan, but Denver took him and they took Smith instead. lol, that would have sucked bigly.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go to camp, and get a deal done. EE can learn a thing or two.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose you never were untruthful in your life. This is only a sports forum but you act like it's a big deal. You must live a sad life.

Ummm, I'm not the one that pretended to be a Cowboys fan for 5 years, going to all the games, living here, trolling the Cowboys board.

Now that is a sad life. So sad. And the ever more sad aspect is you'd still be doing it had the Admin not called your bluff. Sad indeed.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read somewhere that was their plan, but Denver took him and they took Smith instead. lol, that would have sucked bigly.
It was indeed their plan. Not only were they going to take him, they tried to trade up and give up the 3rd rounder as well. So instead of Jaylon, Maliek Collins and DAk we would have Paxton Lynch and whomever we took in Dak's slot at the end of the 4th round.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the ever more sad aspect is you'd still be doing it had the Admin not called your bluff. Sad indeed.
Actually, I was going to spill the beans but the Admin exposed me before I could do it. It was funny to see all the responses on this board.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you are busting chops about the Howie thing, but it's way different. You guys are $10M over the cap next year right now. Dallas is $58M under - $68M difference. That's like Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Byron Jones and M Collins - Zeke already included at $10M. And if they sign M Collins they likely cut Crawford and save $8M so it's a wash or net savings. If they are idiots like Philly was and create a crap load of dead money just to get guys signed now and go all in, they will only need about half of that cap space and can still sign a bunch of guys.

It's only $19M guaranteed at signing. The rest guarantees next year. I love CJ Mosley but I would take Jaylon over him. If Jaylon hit the open market he'd of crushed it. He left some serious money on the table.

Jaylon: 5 years $64M; $19M guaranteed at signing
Mosley: 5 years $80M; $43M guaranteed at signing

The Cowboys have so much cap space because most of their top players still need to be signed. The Eagles on the other hand have the majority of their top players under contract. Yes they are currently $10 mil over next years cap. That will drop some because I am sure the cap will be higher than already projected. On top of that that is no reason to believe the Eagles will not be get under cap and still manage to make key acquisitions as necessary. They have been doing this for the last 20+ years and have never had problems getting under the cap and still be competitive for most of the years. This is even after Chip Kelly imploded the team and we gave out ridiculous contracts to some players. Yet year after year the salary cap is the least of the Eagles problems.

The Cowboys have a ton of money. Their problem is that they will have to give deals to some of the most expensive positions out their (QB, WR. Wide receiver money has started to be come insane thanks to Thomas and Beckham Jr. So the question to ask is if Cooper going to want top 5 money or will he accept less. Touch choices to be had for sure.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys have so much cap space because most of their top players still need to be signed. The Eagles on the other hand have the majority of their top players under contract. Yes they are currently $10 mil over next years cap. That will drop some because I am sure the cap will be higher than already projected. On top of that that is no reason to believe the Eagles will not be get under cap and still manage to make key acquisitions as necessary. They have been doing this for the last 20+ years and have never had problems getting under the cap and still be competitive for most of the years. This is even after Chip Kelly imploded the team and we gave out ridiculous contracts to some players. Yet year after year the salary cap is the least of the Eagles problems.

The Cowboys have a ton of money. Their problem is that they will have to give deals to some of the most expensive positions out their (QB, WR. Wide receiver money has started to be come insane thanks to Thomas and Beckham Jr. So the question to ask is if Cooper going to want top 5 money or will he accept less. Touch choices to be had for sure.
Yeah, i pointed out the Cowboys will use that space to sign their young stars. Luckily for Philly they don't have any (haha).

I also agree that Philly will kick the can down the road more and get under next year's cap too. They will create a bigger and bigger problem down the road that will blow up at some point. It's just Math and inevitable. Look at the Jackson and Jackson contracts and how they included automatic dead money. That's asinine. For Dallas it took probably 15 years to bite the bullet and even then they could have kept doing it for years if they chose to, but they finally decided to cut a couple of guys and work on long term cap health. If they waited longer it would have been more painful. At some point Philly will do this also, but they could put it off for years it will just be a bigger problem to deal with when they ultimately do.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, i pointed out the Cowboys will use that space to sign their young stars. Luckily for Philly they don't have any (haha).

I also agree that Philly will kick the can down the road more and get under next year's cap too. They will create a bigger and bigger problem down the road that will blow up at some point. It's just Math and inevitable. Look at the Jackson and Jackson contracts and how they included automatic dead money. That's asinine. For Dallas it took probably 15 years to bite the bullet and even then they could have kept doing it for years if they chose to, but they finally decided to cut a couple of guys and work on long term cap health. If they waited longer it would have been more painful. At some point Philly will do this also, but they could put it off for years it will just be a bigger problem to deal with when they ultimately do.

The thing is this bigger problem you keep alluding to has never happened. The Eagles have been managing the cap this way since the Joe Banner days. Have been so successful at it that many teams now emulate the way they do it. I think the only team that is better at managing the cap than the Eagles is the Patriots. Every team in the NFL kicks the can down the road. It is called guaranteed money. I could understand the point if the Eagles have had cap issues before but in 20+ years the Eagles have never had any cap problems and have always been active in free agency and sign their best players.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is this bigger problem you keep alluding to has never happened. The Eagles have been managing the cap this way since the Joe Banner days. Have been so successful at it that many teams now emulate the way they do it. I think the only team that is better at managing the cap than the Eagles is the Patriots. Every team in the NFL kicks the can down the road. It is called guaranteed money. I could understand the point if the Eagles have had cap issues before but in 20+ years the Eagles have never had any cap problems and have always been active in free agency and sign their best players.
Not yet. Like I said it can be put off for many years. The longer you put it off the bigger the problem you have to solve. I doubt your future cap years looked this bleak in the past.

They've never backloaded contracts this much. I don't know if any other team is reckless enough to continually spread the SB over 5 years on a 3 year contract. Dallas did something similar with Romo on his second contract and it hurt when that contract was up. Even if the player is amazing for you, the year after their contract is up you are still allocating 2 years of their SB to the cap. I don't get why you guys don't see that and see it as different than what you did in the past. Plus you increase the issue exponentially by restructuring guys currently under contract to sign new guys. The latter has been ongoing, but worsened by the former.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that would worry me if I were an Eagles fan that looks like a good thing in a vacuum is how much space they cleared in this year for some reason. They are actually better off now (this years cap) than they were months ago. But, this was done at the expense of the next 4 years. I suspect Howie has a plan to burn up that space which would be horrible for cap health. IF and this is a big if, he saves it and rolls it into next year, then that will be a good sign and show that Howie recognizes the issue. Maybe he just put the savings in this year in case he needed it, while all along knowing he was going to roll it into next year if he doesn't. What he does over the next year will be huge IMO.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. Kid overcame a lot and kept on fighting. He has become elite and I think he has one more gear in him being another full year from the injury.

Devil is in the details. Let's see them

DAL took a chance on a superior talent that was injured pretty badly in college...it's paying off for both the player and the team with this contract.

Details...yeah with NFL contracts for sure. On the surface this looks like a team friendly deal compared to Mosley in NYJ...$35 mil guaranteed vs $51 mil and Smith is every bit the player.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAL took a chance on a superior talent that was injured pretty badly in college...it's paying off for both the player and the team with this contract.

Details...yeah with NFL contracts for sure. On the surface this looks like a team friendly deal compared to Mosley in NYJ...$35 mil guaranteed vs $51 mil and Smith is every bit the player.
The amazing thing is it happened EXACTLY as they laid it out day one. I'm going to look for a quote on it. They said year one will likely be lost and the nerve will start t oregenerate. Year two he should start being a player but not 100% and year three he should be fully healed and hopefully playing at a high level. I think the Cowboys doctor may have been the one that performed the surgery after his injury

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amazing thing is it happened EXACTLY as they laid it out day one. I'm going to look for a quote on it. They said year one will likely be lost and the nerve will start t oregenerate. Year two he should start being a player but not 100% and year three he should be fully healed and hopefully playing at a high level. I think the Cowboys doctor may have been the one that performed the surgery after his injury

Just looking at the spotrac figures...DAL has a reasonable "out" after 3 yrs. The signing bonus is only $5 mil and there is a $1.6 mil "option" from '20 thru '24.

That's pretty team friendly to me.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not yet. Like I said it can be put off for many years. The longer you put it off the bigger the problem you have to solve. I doubt your future cap years looked this bleak in the past.

They've never backloaded contracts this much. I don't know if any other team is reckless enough to continually spread the SB over 5 years on a 3 year contract. Dallas did something similar with Romo on his second contract and it hurt when that contract was up. Even if the player is amazing for you, the year after their contract is up you are still allocating 2 years of their SB to the cap. I don't get why you guys don't see that and see it as different than what you did in the past. Plus you increase the issue exponentially by restructuring guys currently under contract to sign new guys. The latter has been ongoing, but worsened by the former.

The Eagles have always backloaded their contracts this way. I am not sure where you are getting your information. They have manipulated many of the cap rules to their advantage over the years. For instance until the current NFL year started they were over the cap. They added money by of course releasing some players. They also added $6 mil in overall cap space by using rules that rolled over some of the 2018 cap space to this current year. They have done this a lot over the years.

I understand how signing bonuses work and every team uses the same tactic to manipulate it. signing bonuses can be prorated up to 5 years. Roster and Workout count 100% to the year that particular bonus was given. Back in I believe 2002 when the Eagles gave McNabb an extension he got a signing bonus of $20 mil. That is a good chunk of change considering the year. The Salary cap back then was only $71 mil. When they signed Jevon Kearse in 2004 he got a $16 mil signing bonus. The cap then was $80 mil. Today the cap is $188 mil. Those are only examples to show that this way of managing the cap and bonuses is not new to the Eagles they have been doing it for years.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles have always backloaded their contracts this way. I am not sure where you are getting your information. They have manipulated many of the cap rules to their advantage over the years. For instance until the current NFL year started they were over the cap. They added money by of course releasing some players. They also added $6 mil in overall cap space by using rules that rolled over some of the 2018 cap space to this current year. They have done this a lot over the years.

I understand how signing bonuses work and every team uses the same tactic to manipulate it. signing bonuses can be prorated up to 5 years. Roster and Workout count 100% to the year that particular bonus was given. Back in I believe 2002 when the Eagles gave McNabb an extension he got a signing bonus of $20 mil. That is a good chunk of change considering the year. The Salary cap back then was only $71 mil. When they signed Jevon Kearse in 2004 he got a $16 mil signing bonus. The cap then was $80 mil. Today the cap is $188 mil. Those are only examples to show that this way of managing the cap and bonuses is not new to the Eagles they have been doing it for years.
No, not true and I think you are not understanding what I am saying. I'm not saying SBs are bad for the cap. They are a part of contracts. The signing bonus can be allocated for up to 5 years, but the Eagles are allocating it over 5 years on 3 year contracts. In that case other teams allocate it over 3 years (the contract length). So the Eagles are automatically finishing the contract with 40% of the SB as dead money. Sorry, but they have not done this for decades and there is no way this can be looked at as smart

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for the Cowboys. Wonder if Zeke ends up getting 1 as well.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not true and I think you are not understanding what I am saying. I'm not saying SBs are bad for the cap. They are a part of contracts. The signing bonus can be allocated for up to 5 years, but the Eagles are allocating it over 5 years on 3 year contracts. In that case other teams allocate it over 3 years (the contract length). So the Eagles are automatically finishing the contract with 40% of the SB as dead money. Sorry, but they have not done this for decades and there is no way this can be looked at as smart

Eagles ha e always been doing this. They have the best cap manager in the league in Roseman. You keep trying to compare the Eagles cap to how the Cowboys screwed up their cap. Eagles arent run like your clown show of an organization. Like Banner before him, there is no one else in the league who has a better handle of the salary cap in the league than Roseman.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles ha e always been doing this. They have the best cap manager in the league in Roseman. You keep trying to compare the Eagles cap to how the Cowboys screwed up their cap. Eagles arent run like your clown show of an organization. Like Banner before him, there is no one else in the league who has a better handle of the salary cap in the league than Roseman.
I'm calling BS. I don't even think you understand what you are arguing. I think you are just shaking your pom poms.

Show me the year where they entered into 4 or more new contracts in which they allocated the signing bonus over 5 years even though it was a 3 years contract outside of the last year couple of years.