• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jaylon Smith gets contract extension

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarntt I don’t think any of us Eagle fans are waving Pom poms. One of the strong points of our organization is they’ve long been ahead of the curve when it comes to cap issues. I’ve said before I don’t think Howie is the best GM but I do think he’s absolutely fantastic at circumventing the cap. This has been mentioned over and over by many different sources but for some reason you want to refute it. Things will be different (and tighter) now that we gave Wentz 32 per and it will be the same once Dak gets his. Philly now is what Dallas will be in 2 years once all those big deals get signed. We have everyone signed and no one of big importance coming next year.
I just don’t put much stock into cap problems these days. Every team has it figured out. Dallas doesn’t need to let one guy walk. I’m sure they will figure it out. The Philly media is notoriously the toughest in the league and they are like wolves if they can bite into anyone and attack but all you hear is praise on Howie. He really is the best in the business at deals and cap economics (or among the best)
I refute it because unlike many who just read an article and take it as Gospel I look at the facts. Plus, I don't think half of the writers (probably more) understand the cap long term any better than you seem to. As soon as I see someone trying to say that signing guys in the current year proves there is no cap problem, I know they don't know what they are talking about. Did you see those contracts I highlighted? That is just stupid. It accomplishes nothing but hurting future years. I can't help that you are unwilling or unable to see that. Also, the idea that this is what he has been doing all along is false. He has never pushed money back to the degree he is now.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I refute it because unlike many who just read an article and take it as Gospel I look at the facts. Plus, I don't think half of the writers (probably more) understand the cap long term any better than you seem to. As soon as I see someone trying to say that signing guys in the current year proves there is no cap problem, I know they don't know what they are talking about. Did you see those contracts I highlighted? That is just stupid. It accomplishes nothing but hurting future years. I can't help that you are unwilling or unable to see that. Also, the idea that this is what he has been doing all along is false. He has never pushed money back to the degree he is now.

So Peter King from SI has no idea what he’s talking about. The entire Philly sports media is being duped and don’t know the Cap but a Cowboys fan from NY does. Seems kind of unlikely. He’s been an innovator every step of the way and the Eagles won’t have cap issues. Article after article raving about his cap prowess but the all have no idea what they are talking about. Howie doesn’t know what he’s doing and one Cowboy fan actually has gotten through all the BS and actually knows Philly is screwed.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Peter King from SI has no idea what he’s talking about. The entire Philly sports media is being duped and don’t know the Cap but a Cowboys fan from NY does. Seems kind of unlikely. He’s been an innovator every step of the way and the Eagles won’t have cap issues. Article after article raving about his cap prowess but the all have no idea what they are talking about. Howie doesn’t know what he’s doing and one Cowboy fan actually has gotten through all the BS and actually knows Philly is screwed.
It's math dude. I'll put my math skills up against all of those guys any time and bet I come out ahead against most (probably not all). They are writers. Why does following the Eagles as a writer or writing for SI make someone good at understanding how the Eagles are doing a poor job at allocating dollars against the cap? I'm not sure you have after all this time been able to grasp that point or maybe you just don't care to. You follow the Eagles right? How is your cap knowledge? and on a larger topic why is it you think just posting their "opinion" means anything in a discussion and is proof of anything?

Read this slowly. To be clear I would never suggest I understand the cap more than Howie (or even close to how he does) or anyone that deals with it on a daily basis. He knows it inside out. I don't. You can't seem to understand that isn't the point. I'm talking about him not managing it in a smart way long term. His intimate knowledge of the cap is probably what makes him be able to find different ways to do this. He may find what you call a loophole because of how well he knows the rules, but it doesn't make it any smarter to screw his team in future years just to stockpile guys in the current year. He may know the cap rules better than even the people who wrote them, but that doesn't mean him finding ways to push money into outer years to gain room this year is any less dumb long term.

The articles you keep mentioning are just talking in vague terms. Where's the meat? It's a lot of group speak IMO. I'm talking specifics. I've asked you over and over to give me an example where he circumvents the cap and has money that otherwise would have hit the cap, not hit the cap. He is absolutely creative in how he structures contracts (they are actually very confusing to follow) but the bottom line is the cap is math and nothing else. I'm not talking about negotiating with players or coming up with ways to make them happy or asking if he knows what article VII; part 3a states in the cap language. I'm talking about allocating dollars against the cap itself and nothing else. He is doing nothing other than kicking the can down the road. You don't have to be a genius to give a guy $1M in year 1 and $12M in year 3. It's a great plan if you are going all in.

Give me specifics and tell me why this isn't dumb:

DeSean Jackson
Malik Jackson
Brandon Graham
Rodney McLeod

these done on the restructure
Brandon Brooks
Malcolm Jenkins
Lane Johnson
Zach Ertz

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A combination of restructuring, void years, good health, a winning culture, and annual salary cap increases all play a factor.

If the cap next year is $200M and it increases 10% each year, then we can roughly estimate that it would go up $20M the following year, yes?

If he restructures a deal 3 years from now, he basically has $60M of future money to play with. Now, he's not going to spend all of that, but through the use of void years he has spread out those signing bonuses and prefers to let the annual increase chew them up. By restructuring early and often, players get more guaranteed money and combined with a winning culture may be more amenable to keep restructuring so long as the team keeps performing well.

Pretty sure he can keep kicking the can down the road so long as he keeps a core roster together to compete every year.
Once that roster is toast, they'll push the reset button, take the cap hits, load up on draft picks and be right back at it.

You are both kind of right.
I'm pretty sure the two of you will never convince each other, but hey, what's another 5 pages....