• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jadeveon Clowney

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not all that concerned about how much money he wants because we are probably looking at a 1 year rental situation anyway, much like with Sheldon Richardson a couple years ago. People may be iffy or even strongly against giving up a 2nd round pick for a 1 year player, but what if adding Clowney makes us a SB contender? The whole point of having the picks is to add talent to your team. Having a shot to win a SB is of substantial value. And with Reed missing the first 6 games on top of no longer having Clark, I think you absolutely have to give this move great consideration if you're JS.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the injury to Lamar Miller, I wonder if the Texans made an offer for a RB that includes Clowney... For example, M.Gordon/5th or 6th rounder or R.Penny/4th rounder for Clowney...

I don't want any part of Clowney personally...

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? Our best D-lineman hasn't stepped on the field yet, and our 2nd best is out the first 6 games. I don't want to waste even a single year of RW's career prime, especially after we just saw Luck have to walk away and other greats like Aaron Rodgers and Dan Marino get to 1 SB early in their careers and never get back. I think Clowney is a big enough talent that adding him could tip the scale enough to make this team a legit title contender. If it costs us a 2nd rounder, I am all in even if we are just renting him for a year. Russell is no longer in his 20s. I want the team to go for it every single year from here until Russell is done.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? Our best D-lineman hasn't stepped on the field yet, and our 2nd best is out the first 6 games. I don't want to waste even a single year of RW's career prime, especially after we just saw Luck have to walk away and other greats like Aaron Rodgers and Dan Marino get to 1 SB early in their careers and never get back. I think Clowney is a big enough talent that adding him could tip the scale enough to make this team a legit title contender. If it costs us a 2nd rounder, I am all in even if we are just renting him for a year. Russell is no longer in his 20s. I want the team to go for it every single year from here until Russell is done.

Plus, other than Reed we really don't have anyone in line for a major contract after this year. Even Reed may come in at a lower cost considering his suspension and questionable 12-game season this year. With the cap rising it's feasible to think Clowney could be more than a one-year rental, but who cares even if he is like you said. We are in win now mode with a young team that should get better year after year. I say sacrifice up to a #2, makes sense.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Balls ahead. I like it and agree. We still have a nice batch of picks next year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be worth considering for sure. Kind of hate simply trading off picks for a short term gain though. Would he even be willing to play without a new contract?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be worth considering for sure. Kind of hate simply trading off picks for a short term gain though. Would he even be willing to play without a new contract?

I don't think he has a choice right now.

The question really boils down to what would the Texans want and what would we be willing to give in return. We could trade them Penny and some lineman and a late rounder maybe?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read the Texans are looking for a replacement at RB and that a trade revolving Penny would be included. and if we trade him maybe a pick for clowney and let him walk if we don't come to terms then we would probably get a 3rd round comp pick maybe a 2nd but that's steep.

So really it comes down to if you guys think we should abandon the Penny project because he has not looked good this preseason. Also for a DE that never had 10 sacks on a defense that was never top 10 in the NFL with JJ Watt right next to him to me isn't worth what it would probably take to get and keep him

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read the Texans are looking for a replacement at RB and that a trade revolving Penny would be included. and if we trade him maybe a pick for clowney and let him walk if we don't come to terms then we would probably get a 3rd round comp pick maybe a 2nd but that's steep.

So really it comes down to if you guys think we should abandon the Penny project because he has not looked good this preseason. Also for a DE that never had 10 sacks on a defense that was never top 10 in the NFL with JJ Watt right next to him to me isn't worth what it would probably take to get and keep him
There are no 2nd round comp picks.

I guess we will see how this shakes out as early as today, but this team has shown before they are ok with sending a premium draft pick for a 1 year rental (Sheldon Richardson) if they think it could be the difference between being a fringe contender or one of the top teams in the NFC.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the injury to Lamar Miller, I wonder if the Texans made an offer for a RB that includes Clowney... For example, M.Gordon/5th or 6th rounder or R.Penny/4th rounder for Clowney...

Clowney said he wants to go to the Seahawks or Eagles, so it’s definitely interesting he mentioned us.. Also on sports radio Penny was in the conversation, they were saying Penny and a 1st rounder ... $@@@&! That’s not feasible, but Penny and a 4th might be something to consider... But losing Penny would suck, I think he’s gonna be good ...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney said he wants to go to the Seahawks or Eagles, so it’s definitely interesting he mentioned us.. Also on sports radio Penny was in the conversation, they were saying Penny and a 1st rounder ... $@@@&! That’s not feasible, but Penny and a 4th might be something to consider... But losing Penny would suck, I think he’s gonna be good ...
I did not hear Penny and a 1st rounder. The best draft pick I have heard tossed around was a 2nd rounder since we have 2 of those in 2020. But it's all speculation at this point. Penny was a 1st round pick just a year ago. Shipping what it is the practical equivalent value of 2 1st round picks for a potential 1 year rental seems a bit steep.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah cost is the thing. We could use Clowney for sure, but only if the cost fits. Don't over pay.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah cost is the thing. We could use Clowney for sure, but only if the cost fits. Don't over pay.
But the counter argument: if we trade for Clowney and go the SB, are we really going to upset that we "overpaid"? Similarly, if we don't make the trade and go 1 and done in the playoffs, are we not going to wonder what could have been with a guy like Clowney pairing up with Ansah & Reed?

I definitely think there is a point where the asking price is too high, but right now I'm just not sure what that would be for me. I don't think I would give up Penny and a 2020 1st round pick, but if it's Prosise & a 2nd then I would do it without hesitation.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I would give up Penny and a 2020 1st round pick, but if it's Prosise & a 2nd then I would do it without hesitation.

OK. Think the first is a over pay the second isn't, but opinions vary on what is too much. Tough call because multiple teams have interest and Titians are going want as much as possible and will be squeezing teams with " we have a better offer" sales pitch. Easy to end up paying more then you originally meant too.
All in all I'm confident in the front office, but they have over paid a time or two in trades. I'm just a bit nervous I guess.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no 2nd round comp picks.

I guess we will see how this shakes out as early as today, but this team has shown before they are ok with sending a premium draft pick for a 1 year rental (Sheldon Richardson) if they think it could be the difference between being a fringe contender or one of the top teams in the NFC.

well I learned something new. The sheldon richardson trade was like you said due to us being a possible superbowl contender at the time. That year Aaron Rodgers injured himself and the NFC was even more wide open than ever so we went for it

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not hear Penny and a 1st rounder. The best draft pick I have heard tossed around was a 2nd rounder since we have 2 of those in 2020. But it's all speculation at this point. Penny was a 1st round pick just a year ago. Shipping what it is the practical equivalent value of 2 1st round picks for a potential 1 year rental seems a bit steep.

They were just throwing around the idea on sports radio, and I was like NO @#$^%@ way do you give up Penny and a 1st rounder, even the person they were talking to said the same thing, that would be insane...... I don't think we should let Penny go honestly, it's nice having 2 good running backs, they tend to get dinged up anyway, it's good to have depth there... I would love to get Clowney, but it all comes down to what we have to give up...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who ever trades for Clowney will have to have the cap space to pay for that 15 million plus franchise tag. Seahawks have 20 million......so that would swallow the bulk of cap space.