• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's Tigers Time

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's if he even gains any value by that point, if he doesn't start hitting at least at the level he has in years past and playing better defense, his value is pretty zilch at this point, get that average closer to .270 and maybe you consider it, but I'm still against the idea,

Also, lets see how Odor and Sardinas do before we start making decisions going forward with EA

I'm not hot on trading him either (understatement), but the Cards would take him. They like the elite defense at SS and I could almost guarantee they assume they could get EA hitting. I don't know if Peralta has a no-trade clause, if he doesn't, Detroit might want to pick up Peralta.

BUT, like you said...we just lost our 4, can't afford to trade Elvis, not now anyway
hopefully not ever

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to be damn careful about trading away young, proven major league players like Elvis to let young talent and potential like Sardinas and Odor. That's a risky proposition that may not pay off like we hope.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is very hard to get around, Lainey. He re-aggravated it by rolling over in his bed. If this wasn't so serious you start laughing.

I think we're going to have to laugh some of this off for now, what else can you do.
He actually re-injured his arm sleeping and is probably out for the season, I'm fairly certain he may be the first to be sleeping and then lose the season.

I forgot we played earlier and just realized we beat the Tigers
So there's that.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to be damn careful about trading away young, proven major league players like Elvis to let young talent and potential like Sardinas and Odor. That's a risky proposition that may not pay off like we hope.

I agree. If Profar was healthy and showed he could produce at the level EA is now I would consider it, but not knowing what we have in the 3 is way to risky at this point.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some Q and A's people asked EG
Question: Derek Holland has been saying he'd be back by June 1 all along. What are the chances that's true?
Grant: Derek Holland says a lot of things in exuberance and excitement. And it turns out this was done in more exuberance and excitement. He hasn't begun a rehab assignment and won't begin one before June 1, so I think getting him back by July 1 would be an accomplishment at this point. To be fair, the Rangers have said all along, they thought the All-Star break was realistic.

Question: Does Matt Harrison ever pitch again?
Grant: Man, I hope so. Matt Harrison said last week he'd give every penny of his contract back to pitch again and I believe him. You objectively analyze and report on these players' performances, but Matt is so honest and so humble, it's easy to root for him to return to have success.

Question: Is Harrison's contract guaranteed?
Grant: Yes. Rangers will get back about $6 million of his $8 million salary this year if he does not pitch again and about 75 percent of the $13 million salaries he's due on an annual basis from 2015-17.

I didn't know Harry said that. Man, that makes me feel so bad for him. He tried so hard to come back.

If the Rangers get back some of Harry's "guaranteed" salary, what if a Doc says Fielder can't play any longer...then we get back some of his?

I'm a little confused, maybe it's the way each contract is written

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EA is nowhere near an elite defensive player. Not even close.

And the Rangers need to be sellers at the trade deadline obviously. 2014 is done. Play the youngsters, unload Beltre for pitching if you can, and start looking at 2016-17. That is the earliest this team will contend again.

Never seen an injury bug hit a team so hard for 2-3 years running. Something has got to be wrong in the physical prep in this organization.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers should shop Adrian Beltre - ESPN

The obvious solution to the Texas Rangers' latest injury crisis, losing Prince Fielder for the season, would be for the Rangers to call Scott Boras and try to sign Kendrys Morales to a one-year deal through the end of 2014.

Unlike Stephen Drew, who just re-signed with Boston last week, Morales has virtually no market, as he's really a DH who can fake first base and there aren't any other AL teams with the need and the desire to spend beyond the Rangers. Boston gave Drew a salary that roughly equaled what he would have made on the qualifying offer, but prorated for the remainder of the season.

There's no reason whatsoever for Texas to be so generous with Morales, as the Rangers could offer $2-3 million -- even if they wait until after the draft begins, so they don't have to give a compensatory draft pick to their division rival (Seattle) -- and tell Morales to take it or just take the year off. It's hardball, but when you have all of the leverage, you have to use it.

But the other solution might be the smarter one for Texas to take in the long run, even if the fans don't want to hear it right now: Don't replace Fielder at all. The Rangers have now lost Fielder and Martin Perez for the year, Matt Harrison for the year if not longer, Geovany Soto for half the year, Jurickson Profar for two-thirds of it, and Derek Holland for at least the first two months. This isn't that good of a team on paper anymore, and unless the Rangers put Mitch Moreland on the mound and make him a decent starter, I'm not sure they can turn this around with what's currently in the organization.

The Rangers do have some tradeable assets that could fetch them decent returns over the next two months, particularly in their bullpen, where Joakim Soria, Neal Cotts and Jason Frasor are impending free agents, with Soria a legitimate option for any team looking for late-game relief help. Right fielder Alex Rios is a free agent after the season, due about $9.75 million for the rest of this year plus another $1 million on a buyout of his 2015 club option, although only a few contenders are likely to need outfield help (Detroit, Milwaukee, possibly Oakland). Colby Lewis has about two months to try to reestablish some value, pitching poorly in his seven starts this year, his first in the majors since 2012.

The daring move, however, would involve trading someone whose next shot at free agency doesn't come until after 2015: Adrian Beltre. He's off to a tough start by his standards, but was among the best players in the league each of the past four years, and even at 35 should still find plenty of suitors willing to bet that his glove and power get back to pre-2014 levels.

The Rangers aren't likely to be good this year, and it'll take some effort and luck to restore their chances for a 90-win season next year, especially since Perez will miss about half of 2015 and who the heck knows when Harrison will be 100 percent again, leaving them with a rotation of Yu Darvish, hopefully Holland, and three Orphan Black-style clones made from DNA stolen off Nolan Ryan's toothbrush.

Beltre's eventual replacement in Arlington, Joey Gallo, is hitting .340/.461/.787 in high Class A at age 20, despite playing in a strong pitchers' park in Myrtle Beach. Trading Beltre now, with a year-plus and a 2016 option left, would get the Rangers more of a return than trading him in mid-2015, and could help them fill some needs while they wait for some young contributors for 2016 and beyond to develop (like Profar, Rougned Odor and perhaps Michael Choice) or to arrive (Gallo, right-hander Chi-Chi Gonzalez and possibly right-hander Luke Jackson).

I understand that could be unpalatable not just to fans but to owners and other financial stakeholders, but the Rangers are probably at the end of a five-year run of success, winning 89 or more games in each of those seasons, with three playoffs berths and two AL pennants. It's reasonable to expect to have to at least retool at some point in any 10-year span, and the injuries may force the Rangers to look at 2014 in that way -- the same way the Red Sox, a team with the financial wherewithal to compete every year, had to concede 2012, and made the huge trade with the Dodgers that cleared payroll they spent on key components of their 2013 championship team.

The Rangers won't get quite that kind of relief, but they could help themselves in the long run by accepting the short-run reality before them.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And the Rangers need to be sellers at the trade deadline obviously. 2014 is done. Play the youngsters, unload Beltre for pitching if you can, and start looking at 2016-17. That is the earliest this team will contend again.

Never seen an injury bug hit a team so hard for 2-3 years running. Something has got to be wrong in the physical prep in this organization.

HAHA you're such an idiot, this club can easily contend next year, unless we do something stupid like trading Beltre

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers should shop Adrian Beltre - ESPN

The obvious solution to the Texas Rangers' latest injury crisis, losing Prince Fielder for the season, would be for the Rangers to call Scott Boras and try to sign Kendrys Morales to a one-year deal through the end of 2014.

Unlike Stephen Drew, who just re-signed with Boston last week, Morales has virtually no market, as he's really a DH who can fake first base and there aren't any other AL teams with the need and the desire to spend beyond the Rangers. Boston gave Drew a salary that roughly equaled what he would have made on the qualifying offer, but prorated for the remainder of the season.

There's no reason whatsoever for Texas to be so generous with Morales, as the Rangers could offer $2-3 million -- even if they wait until after the draft begins, so they don't have to give a compensatory draft pick to their division rival (Seattle) -- and tell Morales to take it or just take the year off. It's hardball, but when you have all of the leverage, you have to use it.

But the other solution might be the smarter one for Texas to take in the long run, even if the fans don't want to hear it right now: Don't replace Fielder at all. The Rangers have now lost Fielder and Martin Perez for the year, Matt Harrison for the year if not longer, Geovany Soto for half the year, Jurickson Profar for two-thirds of it, and Derek Holland for at least the first two months. This isn't that good of a team on paper anymore, and unless the Rangers put Mitch Moreland on the mound and make him a decent starter, I'm not sure they can turn this around with what's currently in the organization.

The Rangers do have some tradeable assets that could fetch them decent returns over the next two months, particularly in their bullpen, where Joakim Soria, Neal Cotts and Jason Frasor are impending free agents, with Soria a legitimate option for any team looking for late-game relief help. Right fielder Alex Rios is a free agent after the season, due about $9.75 million for the rest of this year plus another $1 million on a buyout of his 2015 club option, although only a few contenders are likely to need outfield help (Detroit, Milwaukee, possibly Oakland). Colby Lewis has about two months to try to reestablish some value, pitching poorly in his seven starts this year, his first in the majors since 2012.

The daring move, however, would involve trading someone whose next shot at free agency doesn't come until after 2015: Adrian Beltre. He's off to a tough start by his standards, but was among the best players in the league each of the past four years, and even at 35 should still find plenty of suitors willing to bet that his glove and power get back to pre-2014 levels.

The Rangers aren't likely to be good this year, and it'll take some effort and luck to restore their chances for a 90-win season next year, especially since Perez will miss about half of 2015 and who the heck knows when Harrison will be 100 percent again, leaving them with a rotation of Yu Darvish, hopefully Holland, and three Orphan Black-style clones made from DNA stolen off Nolan Ryan's toothbrush.

Beltre's eventual replacement in Arlington, Joey Gallo, is hitting .340/.461/.787 in high Class A at age 20, despite playing in a strong pitchers' park in Myrtle Beach. Trading Beltre now, with a year-plus and a 2016 option left, would get the Rangers more of a return than trading him in mid-2015, and could help them fill some needs while they wait for some young contributors for 2016 and beyond to develop (like Profar, Rougned Odor and perhaps Michael Choice) or to arrive (Gallo, right-hander Chi-Chi Gonzalez and possibly right-hander Luke Jackson).

I understand that could be unpalatable not just to fans but to owners and other financial stakeholders, but the Rangers are probably at the end of a five-year run of success, winning 89 or more games in each of those seasons, with three playoffs berths and two AL pennants. It's reasonable to expect to have to at least retool at some point in any 10-year span, and the injuries may force the Rangers to look at 2014 in that way -- the same way the Red Sox, a team with the financial wherewithal to compete every year, had to concede 2012, and made the huge trade with the Dodgers that cleared payroll they spent on key components of their 2013 championship team.

The Rangers won't get quite that kind of relief, but they could help themselves in the long run by accepting the short-run reality before them.

Surprised Law would write such a huge hunk of shit... Gallo will not be Beltre's replacement at 3B

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rangers get back some of Harry's "guaranteed" salary, what if a Doc says Fielder can't play any longer...then we get back some of his?

I'm a little confused, maybe it's the way each contract is written

Harry's contract was guaranteed but I am fairly sure that there was an insurance policy that the Rangers had on him being healthy enough to pitch for a certain % of the contract and since he may not, they can recoup some of the money he was paid from said policy.

Fielder doesn't have such policy because he had never been on the DL ever, so there seemed no risk. Whereas Matt has been injured most of his career

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHA you're such an idiot, this club can easily contend next year, unless we do something stupid like trading Beltre

I do think he makes stupid posts... but I do agree that we probably should make a trade this deadline. I think saying we cant contend next year is absurd, but I think trading EA at the deadline when his price will be highest should be a good move to make. Get young arms, or get 1 big league player that will be ready to go for next year when its our time. I mean, if you're gonna have faith in profar, might as well have faith in roogy too right? I mean, he cant be any worse then EA's been on defense. His .249 average cant be that hard to match either. Its just all the little things that EA provides. He's a glue in the clubhouse, he's smart, he steals signs better then anyone else, he's a great situational hitter (clearly not with RISP this season...), i could go on. But I think you trade him when his price is highest and assume that Roogy can and will provide average numbers

But fuck no, you dont trade AB

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think AB is going anywhere. I believe over the last couple seasons of his contract he may DH but pretty sure JD and the coaching staff keep him here as long as he can swing a bat

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the chances Fielders injury is career threatening?

Posted on the other thread about this, but this type of surgery is certainly likely to shorten his career

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Contending teams have strong starting pitching smart guy. Harrison likely never pitches again. Perez comes back by the All Star break in 2015. Lewis is only here because we literally have no one else. He won't be around next season. So assuming we have a healthy Holland, that leaves Derek and Darvish and ??? for 2015 at least until the break. We know Ross isn't a starter and Ogando never was, and Tepesch hasn't made it through a full season, so how does this team contend in 2015?

And that's assuming Fielder comes back as Fielder, Profar comes back as the prized prospect he once was, and Rios is replaced by a quality corner outfielder, because he's not coming back either. And Beltre returns to prime Beltre form. And Soto comes back healthy. And Soria doesn't get traded. And EA plays average defense for a ML SS.

Just saying, A LOT has to go right for Texas to be a contending team next year. A whole bunch of stuff.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contending teams have strong starting pitching smart guy. Harrison likely never pitches again. Perez comes back by the All Star break in 2015. Lewis is only here because we literally have no one else. He won't be around next season. So assuming we have a healthy Holland, that leaves Derek and Darvish and ??? for 2015 at least until the break. We know Ross isn't a starter and Ogando never was, and Tepesch hasn't made it through a full season, so how does this team contend in 2015?

And that's assuming Fielder comes back as Fielder, Profar comes back as the prized prospect he once was, and Rios is replaced by a quality corner outfielder, because he's not coming back either. And Beltre returns to prime Beltre form. And Soto comes back healthy. And Soria doesn't get traded. And EA plays average defense for a ML SS.

Just saying, A LOT has to go right for Texas to be a contending team next year. A whole bunch of stuff.

Just stop moron, you're not a fan, quit acting like you are, you also said in 2010 and 2011 this wasn't a World Series team

To make such declarative statements is completely absurd, and you're the king of absurd statements

There is no guarantee that Ross doesn't learn from this experience and come out even better next year, Tepesch looks much improved in his 2nd go round, Nick Martinez seems to have some potential, and there is always Luke Jackson is around the same progression as Martinez and Tepesch the last 2 years.... so who knows what the starting pitching next year

I'm not saying this team will or won't contend next year, and you should notice I didn't say they will, only that they totally CAN (not will) contend next year, but to say they won't compete until 2016 is just flat out stupid and absurd

A lot needs to be sorted out this year, give the young guys some PT and acquire assets by removing disposable players like Rios

If they feel the season is done, then there is no reason Tepesch, Martinez, Ross and maybe even Scheppers shouldn't be given every opportunity to prove themselves in the starting rotation going forward

Ross has been bad, but he's also shown flashes, jury is still out on Schepp but I would totally give him another shot if a spot opens up and he earns it, not much telling how much of his struggles were related to the injury

If the injury situation for this team normalizes then I think you see a pretty competitive team next year, simple as that, thats not a whole lot going right, its things actually being normal

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jesus Christ you're a moron. :L

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that he said Elvis is not even close to an elite defender nullifies everything else he might say from now on.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that he said Elvis is not even close to an elite defender nullifies everything else he might say from now on.

He might not be elite bc of the tendency for error but he ranks well above average to elite almost anywhere else