• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's Tigers Time

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From DMN today:

Adrian Beltre is 4-for-5 with three RBIs lifetime against Sanchez.

Friday’s events are likely to determine the next step with Saunders. He will throw a bullpen session for pitching coach Mike Maddux, but more importantly Scott Baker will make his first start for the Rangers. If Baker pitches well against Detroit, the Rangers may very well ask Saunders to make a fifth start while they continue to sort through their rotation. If Baker struggles, it is more likely Saunders would step into the rotation the next time through.

Martin was hitting only .234 for the season and .223 for his career against lefties. In his first at-bat after replacing Robertson, he singled off Ray.

General manager Jon Daniels said the Rangers would add a player to the roster for Friday’s game at Detroit. That is likely to be INF Donnie Murphy.

The Detroit Tigers were the big winners last off-season when they unloaded Prince Fielder and the $138 million in contractual obligations owed the first baseman.

The Texas Rangers were willing to accept that financial burden even though Fielder was coming off the worst power season in his eight years as a big leaguer. But the Rangers were desperate for muscle in the middle of the order and believed their home ball park could cure what ailed Fielder and his slumping left-handed bat.

The Rangers appear to be even bigger losers in the deal now that Fielder has been lost for the season with a herniated disk in his neck. The fact that the Rangers never gave Fielder an in-coming physical knocks some shine off the general-manager wizardy of Jon Daniels.

Fielder, 30, appears to have been damaged goods. He admitted recently that his back problems started in Detroit last season, but he never mentioned them to the Tigers then nor did he mention them to the Rangers upon his arrival in Arlington. How a team can commit to paying a player that kind of money — $24 million for each of the next seven seasons — without having him checked out physically is puzzling.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really don't understand why some are so hot and heavy to trade any of our infielders; especially EA.

He's a good to excellent SS, hit's below avg for 1+ seasons, has little to no power, and is owed a butt load of money.

Besides this, who'll play SS if he were gone? Does Odor have this range/arm to make this move? Is Sardi ready to take over 2nd base? And most importantly, will Profar ever make it? Jury is still out on him.

And let's remember that AB's range at 3rd has greatly reduced over the past 3/4 seasons, and next year will be his 18th in the league. His best days are long gone.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little more from the News:

Fielder, who turned 30 earlier this month, is scheduled to have Dallas-based surgeon Dr. Drew Dossett perform a cervical fusion on his neck Tuesday.

For you optimists, this surgery has a high success rate and isn't considered career-threatening. The rehabilitation process takes about four months; Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said he expects Fielder to be ready for spring training.

For pragmatists like me, the question is not whether Fielder will play first base on Opening Day next season. It's whether he will ever be Prince Fielder, one of baseball's most feared sluggers, again.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really don't understand why some are so hot and heavy to trade any of our infielders; especially EA.

He's a good to excellent SS, hit's below avg for 1+ seasons, has little to no power, and is owed a butt load of money.

Besides this, who'll play SS if he were gone? Does Odor have this range/arm to make this move? Is Sardi ready to take over 2nd base? And most importantly, will Profar ever make it? Jury is still out on him.

And let's remember that AB's range at 3rd has greatly reduced over the past 3/4 seasons, and next year will be his 18th in the league. His best days are long gone.

Odor is strictly a 2B, Sardinas would move to SS if Profar was still injured and Andrus was traded

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little more from the News:

Fielder, who turned 30 earlier this month, is scheduled to have Dallas-based surgeon Dr. Drew Dossett perform a cervical fusion on his neck Tuesday.

For you optimists, this surgery has a high success rate and isn't considered career-threatening. The rehabilitation process takes about four months; Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said he expects Fielder to be ready for spring training.

For pragmatists like me, the question is not whether Fielder will play first base on Opening Day next season. It's whether he will ever be Prince Fielder, one of baseball's most feared sluggers, again.

Well it gives us an excuse to plant his butt at DH most the time to "ease" the strain on his back, if in fact he comes back

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the chances Fielders injury is career threatening?
Anything is possible I imagine. I had this same surgery in 1985 and have lived a normal life and never encountered not one minute of trouble. Hope he has as good a doctor as I did and pretty sure he does.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything is possible I imagine. I had this same surgery in 1985 and have lived a normal life and never encountered not one minute of trouble. Hope he has as good a doctor as I did and pretty sure he does.

:agree:....with the notable exception of....."Lived a normal life." I'd suggest, you sir, have not had a "normal life."

And I mean that with the dignity and respect you deserve. :yahoo:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harry's contract was guaranteed but I am fairly sure that there was an insurance policy that the Rangers had on him being healthy enough to pitch for a certain % of the contract and since he may not, they can recoup some of the money he was paid from said policy.

Fielder doesn't have such policy because he had never been on the DL ever, so there seemed no risk. Whereas Matt has been injured most of his career[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected on the Fielder contract not being insured. Though it doesn't appear the team will benefit much from it this season.

Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that the Rangers do have insurance on Fielder’s contract, but it likely won’t save them much in 2014. The policy pays out 50 cents on the dollar for every dollar owed past a certain time period, which is believed to be around 90 days. Grant estimates that the policy will save the Rangers a little north of $2MM this season.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:....with the notable exception of....."Lived a normal life." I'd suggest, you sir, have not had a "normal life."

And I mean that with the dignity and respect you deserve. :yahoo:
Thank You.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murph.......Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that the Rangers do have insurance on Fielder’s contract, but it likely won’t save them much in 2014. The policy pays out 50 cents on the dollar for every dollar owed past a certain time period, which is believed to be around 90 days. Grant estimates that the policy will save the Rangers a little north of $2MM this season.

That's a big time "ouch." Pocket Book takes one Royal Ass Kicking.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murph.......Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that the Rangers do have insurance on Fielder’s contract, but it likely won’t save them much in 2014. The policy pays out 50 cents on the dollar for every dollar owed past a certain time period, which is believed to be around 90 days. Grant estimates that the policy will save the Rangers a little north of $2MM this season.

That's a big time "ouch." Pocket Book takes one Royal Ass Kicking.

Yes it is, but we also saves around 8 million on Harrison and Fielder. I expect Morales to be a Ranger. What happens when/if MM gets hurt? I don't think JD is going to give up on this season. They can't afford to be 10 games below .500 when the season ends.

I think all the rebuilding shit I'm reading from national writers is ridiculous. We need to add some starter's for next season without question, but that's not hard to do. Scherzer and Shields are FA's, and I'm guessing we will go after Max hard. If Choice would start hitting the damn ball it makes Rios expendable and we could maybe get an arm that way, but right now we need him. He's leading the team in RBI's. I don't particularly like his attitude, but that's a different topic.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odor is strictly a 2B, Sardinas would move to SS if Profar was still injured and Andrus was traded

I was going to mention that if you didn't since coming up thru the minors Sardinas was ss and Odor 2b.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to mention that if you didn't since coming up thru the minors Sardinas was ss and Odor 2b.

Sorry.....I honestly don't pay as much attention as I should on the minors. Didn't know who, potentially, would go where.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry.....I honestly don't pay as much attention as I should on the minors. Didn't know who, potentially, would go where.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
REMINDER REMINDER REMINDER

Game starts at 6:00 on TXA21

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is, but we also saves around 8 million on Harrison and Fielder. I expect Morales to be a Ranger. What happens when/if MM gets hurt? I don't think JD is going to give up on this season. They can't afford to be 10 games below .500 when the season ends.

I think all the rebuilding shit I'm reading from national writers is ridiculous. We need to add some starter's for next season without question, but that's not hard to do. Scherzer and Shields are FA's, and I'm guessing we will go after Max hard. If Choice would start hitting the damn ball it makes Rios expendable and we could maybe get an arm that way, but right now we need him. He's leading the team in RBI's. I don't particularly like his attitude, but that's a different topic.

Laughed - not out loud laughed - but laughed about your MM injury reference. After all, it's not like he's never gotten injured before?

But what does, "they, can't afford to be 10 games below .500 when season ends" mean? Sure we can. That's why this game isn't a sprint, from season to season IMO.

And why is it so "ridiculous" for us to consider rebuilding? Do not at all get where you're coming from here.

I'd ask you do do one thing with what you've said above: Go back and and do the financial ramifications of it all. I may be wrong, but everyone, even the Yankees/Lakers/Cowboys of the world only have so much money to spend. Fact.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laughed - not out loud laughed - but laughed about your MM injury reference. After all, it's not like he's never gotten injured before?

But what does, "they, can't afford to be 10 games below .500 when season ends" mean? Sure we can. That's why this game isn't a sprint, from season to season IMO.

And why is it so "ridiculous" for us to consider rebuilding? Do not at all get where you're coming from here.

I'd ask you do do one thing with what you've said above: Go back and and do the financial ramifications of it all. I may be wrong, but everyone, even the Yankees/Lakers/Cowboys of the world only have so much money to spend. Fact.

He's saying its too early to just mail it in, there's still the wild card within reach, I think its going to be a balance of shooting for the future and selling off pieces unnecessary for the future (ex: Rios)

There's too much of an obligation to put butts in the seats to just mail it in

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's saying its too early to just mail it in, there's still the wild card within reach, I think its going to be a balance of shooting for the future and selling off pieces unnecessary for the future (ex: Rios)

There's too much of an obligation to put butts in the seats to just mail it in

You got it. Thanks for explaining.
What I meant by "they can't afford to be 10 games below .500" is people will stop showing up if they are. JTA had it right. I guess I wasn't very clear.