• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It appears Florida will play 4 FCS team in 2 years

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can EITHER play more conference games which means more head to head matchups against all conference members

OR

we can play intersectional ie "out of state" games which seem to be all anybody cares about....that is when they're not whining that we don't play miami every year anymore.

We cannot do both. There are only so many games that a team can play.

Choose one.

Conference games.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gainesville to Tuscaloosa is 448 miles 40 games.

Norman to Lincoln 450 miles 86 games.

Can you think of some historical reasons why that might be the case?

1. From 1928 to 1995 Nebraska and Oklahoma were in a conference with 6-8 teams...must have been tough to schedule each other then..
  2. When Alabama and Florida were SIAA members it wasn't really a conference, just an affiliation of teams. In 1921 the last year we were a member there were 27 teams. The same year Nebraska and Oklahoma were in the 9 team Missouri Valley Conference. Incidentally Alabama played Florida that year, despite being in a 27 team "conference"
  3. When Alabama joined the Southern Conference in 1922 the Southern Conference had 20 teams, the Missouri Valley had 9 still.
  4. When Alabama joined the SEC in 1933 there were 13 members...OU and Nebraska were in the Big, lol, 6.
  5. They continued with at least 12 member until Tulane and Georgia Tech bowed out in the 60's. Meanwhile OU/Neb is in some variation of Big 6-8.
  6. From 1966 to 1987 we played in a 10 team conference and played a 6 game conference schedule...Meanwhile OU/Nebraska played in a 8 team conference and played SURPRISE, 7 teams.
  7. From 1988 to 1991 we played 7 of 9 conference opponents and played Florida 2 of 3.
  8. From 1992 to 2011 we played in seperate division of a 12 team league and played Florida 6 times in the regular season and 7 times in the SEC championship. From 1996 to 2010 Nebraska and Oklahoma were in separate divisions of the same conference and played each other 8 times in the regular season and twice in the championship game.
  9. I didn't even bother with the historical difference in ease of travel between the two locations, but neither Tuscaloosa nor Gainesville are on historic passenger train routes...Lincoln wouldn't exist except for the train.
Are you getting the picture yet...or do I need to set the signal to DENSE to get through the obvious thickness of your skull.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks for florida fans. We don’t get many gms to see our teams every yr and to have 2 of them be total garbage has to suck

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen USCs schedule?

Yes. Southern Cal is one of 5 programs in America that consistently plays a tougher OOC....as in more final ranked opponents...than UF does. UF's schedule is tougher overall though because there are more good programs in the SEC than the PAC.

I just find the complaint about there not being enough conference games to be strange because people have been whining for years that UF doesn't play OOC games "out of state" even though UF plays fsu every year and miami occasionally.

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that game … Georgia Southern did not complete 1 pass for the entire game. GS had 0 passing yards in 3 attempts.

Everyone in the WORLD knew GS was going to run the ball (by the 2nd half) and the Gators could not stop the run … DR did not talk to me for 3 weeks …

I remember Texas having 5 losing seasons in 7 years.

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks for florida fans. We don’t get many gms to see our teams every yr and to have 2 of them be total garbage has to suck

Actually its quite good being a Florida fan. Every team plays some cupcakes. The big question is how many good teams do you play? UF has played more of those - far more - than any other team in America going back over 40 years.

Sabansjoylessmurderball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Southern Cal is one of 5 programs in America that consistently plays a tougher OOC....as in more final ranked opponents...than UF does. UF's schedule is tougher overall though because there are more good programs in the SEC than the PAC.

I just find the complaint about there not being enough conference games to be strange because people have been whining for years that UF doesn't play OOC games "out of state" even though UF plays fsu every year and miami occasionally.

SEC teams should play harder in conference schedules, harder out of conference schedules, more road games, more games against NFL teams....

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually its quite good being a Florida fan. Every team plays some cupcakes. The big question is how many good teams do you play? UF has played more of those - far more - than any other team in America going back over 40 years.
More than Notre Dame going back 40 years?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've looked at 3 different SOS rankings for this year, and all have USCs schedule in 2018 rated as tougher than Florida.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Notre Dame is second but UF leads by a sizable margin. This was posted on the other board a whole bunch of times.
Never saw it on the other board. How was this measured?

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've looked at 3 different SOS rankings for this year, and all have USCs schedule in 2018 rated as tougher than Florida.

It may be. I didn't say UF's schedule was THE toughest EVERY year. I said more final ranked opponents than anybody else over the last 40. I know that's also true of the last 30. I think its also true of the last 20.

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never saw it on the other board. How was this measured?

End of season AP rankings. UF faced more teams that finished ranked and more that finished in the top 10 than anybody else by a long way. Not even counting one off bowl opponents - just regular opponents

Over the last 40 years UF faced:
LSU 40 times
UGA 40 times
Alabama 22 times
Auburn 29 times
Tennessee 30 times
miami 16 times
fsu 42 times

That's 219 games against 7 premier programs. Those programs have won 19 national titles over the last 40 years, and UF averaged 5 and a half games per season against that lineup.

Go around the rest of the country and look at how many games other teams have played against premier programs over that span. Its no coincidence that UF faced more final ranked and final top 10 than anybody else during that time.