• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Russel Wilson an ELITE QB?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I not calling any QB with just 2 years in the league elite. However watching him in preseason in his third year, with a better receiving corp, look out, I think he's going to have a really good breakout year this year.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the top 4 QB's in QBR over the last 2 seasons

1. Peyton Manning (110.45 average)

2. Aaron Rodgers (106.45 average)

3. Drew Brees (100.5 average)

4. Russell Wilson (100.6 average)

He's done this with a far inferior O-line than the QB's above him. According to football focus here's the the O-line rankings of those teams during this 2 year period.

1. Peyton Manning (Broncos): #2 overall in 2012, #1 overall in 2013

2. Aaron Rodgers (Packers): #31 overall in 2012, #26 overall in 2013

3. Drew Brees (Saints): #7 overall in 2012, #4 overall in 2013

4. Russell Wilson (Seahawks): #20 overall in 2012, #32 overall in 2013

Meanwhile the WR corps rankings by cover32.com

1. Denver Broncos

2. Indianapolis Colts

3. Green Bay Packers

4. San Franciso 49ers

5. Washington Redskins

6. New Orleans Saints

26. Hawks

So, RW has put up similar numbers to the "ELITE" QB's in his first two seasons with a team that places him in difficult third and longs, and has inferior pass blocking and WR corps in comparison to these other QB's respective teams. You have to be drunk to believe Wilson isn't elite.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a dead horse. Who wants to help me beat the shit out of it?

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A better question would be; can a player be considered elite after two seasons?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the top 4 QB's in QBR over the last 2 seasons

1. Peyton Manning (110.45 average)

2. Aaron Rodgers (106.45 average)

3. Drew Brees (100.5 average)

4. Russell Wilson (100.6 average)

He's done this with a far inferior O-line than the QB's above him. According to football focus here's the the O-line rankings of those teams during this 2 year period.

1. Peyton Manning (Broncos): #2 overall in 2012, #1 overall in 2013

2. Aaron Rodgers (Packers): #31 overall in 2012, #26 overall in 2013

3. Drew Brees (Saints): #7 overall in 2012, #4 overall in 2013

4. Russell Wilson (Seahawks): #20 overall in 2012, #32 overall in 2013

Meanwhile the WR corps rankings by cover32.com

1. Denver Broncos

2. Indianapolis Colts

3. Green Bay Packers

4. San Franciso 49ers

5. Washington Redskins

6. New Orleans Saints

26. Hawks

So, RW has put up similar numbers to the "ELITE" QB's in his first two seasons with a team that places him in difficult third and longs, and has inferior pass blocking and WR corps in comparison to these other QB's respective teams. You have to be drunk to believe Wilson isn't elite.

I think to be considered elite, you need to pass the test of time. Two years are just not enough, hell just watch Wilson this year and tell me he hasn't gotten better. Not that I'm complaining about his first two years, he was awesome.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers do not rely on Rodgers as they have an excellent running game and when Rodgers won the SB they had the best defense in the NFL. Denver was able to make it to divisional championship game with Tebow and that's with less talent than they currently have. NO won the SB when they had the best defense in terms of creating turnovers (Vikes were the better overall team that year though). NE has the best system in the game.

Wilson's system is run on first run on second every time unless the game is close or they are losing. This is why Wilson is asked to do much more than any other QB since D's know 100% the pass is coming for majority of Wilson's passes. Also, when they have needed him to step up and put the team on his back he has shown countless times he can win games in the end with excellent decision making, precision and overall leading his team. The man's only weakness now is lack of experience which is quickly fading away.

In a typical season all 4 of the guys I mentioned have over 500 attempts (for some over 600) per season. Wilson is hovering at about 400. He isn't relied upon quite as much as those guys in the offense. It's not a knock, he's just not there yet.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And speaking of "admitting they were wrong," the OP has zero business posting about QBs until he mans up about his Stave hate. "Fans" like you enabled the result that wrecked my weekend.

With Stave we still lose that game. I predicted the choke job now eat crow.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think to be considered elite, you need to pass the test of time. Two years are just not enough, hell just watch Wilson this year and tell me he hasn't gotten better. Not that I'm complaining about his first two years, he was awesome.

Fair enough, maybe he needs more time but it get frustrating when people dismiss his more than impressive NFL resume based solely off of passing yards. He's much more than a passing QB and he's far better than some of the haters want to admit. Hell, even Pete Prisco (known Wilson doubter and Luck nut hugger) is coming around and starting to give Wilson his due.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks won games not just Wilson. Did he play defense and special teams? Did he call the plays? Watching way to much ESPN and brainwashed like a fool. Just saying.

Russell Wilson's Career 4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drives | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Wilson has 10 game winning drives and 8 4th Q come backs in a 2 year span. Not only is that elite but it's better than any of the other elite QB's. The team puts the game on his shoulders many times by playing conservative ball on offense instead of stat padding and running up the score.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is on the hall of fame path. People just hate to admit it because the white boy (yes I'm white) poster child of the last decade of drafts is not panning out. Naturally, it's easy for people to hate on Wilson.

Wilson is THE BEST QB of that draft, and it's heartbreaking to so many who had so many QBs pegged ahead of him. I called RG Knee a bust from the start, and was skeptical (EVERYONE should've been, Luck was destined to win 5 SBOWLS in his first 6 years) of Luck.

Mmmm if your patting yourself on the back for saying RG3 would be a bust, you might want to own up to the fact that you thought Wilson was going to be a bust, also. I got a long memory.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a typical season all 4 of the guys I mentioned have over 500 attempts (for some over 600) per season. Wilson is hovering at about 400. He isn't relied upon quite as much as those guys in the offense. It's not a knock, he's just not there yet.

How many rushing yards and rushing attempts do those other 4 have? A play is a play and moving the chains is all that matters. Maybe Brady and Manning have thrown for dozens more first downs than Wilson but I'd bet my house Wilson has ran for more first downs than those two combined. QB stats aren't just passing yards and attempts, QB's also run (especially nowadays) and that's also a big part of the game and why Wilson wins.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Russell Wilson's rookie year he had 0-300 yard games and only 3 games in which he threw 30 or more passes. Last year he had only 2-300 yard games and only 3 games which he threw more than 30 passes. He has a total of about 6500 yards passing in the two seasons combined. That's about the same amount that the elite QB's would throw for in 20 games not 32. I'm not trying to cut on Wilson, he's like the ultimate game manager. He doesn't make mistakes, is a good leader, what he does, he does very well. He simply hasn't been asked to do a lot in the offense. What I'm saying is that he's not elite because he's not asked to be. The team around him including Lynch and the defense make his job a lot easier. Russell Wilson to me is a lot like Ben Roethlisberger in his first two years. Not elite but definitely in the top half the league.

In the 4 games when he did have 30+ passes last year he had 2 300 yd games a 70% comp% and had a 6-1 TD-int ratio. These are games where he was forced to throw a more than normal late in the game in obvious passing situations due to the team being behind or close. So he's proven he can be successful when the team needs to depend on him for many passes and did it with an inferior line and WR corps to the so called elite. Worthlessburger had a 38 QB rating in the SB has was not even close to the leader as RW and has inferior football IQ.

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is very good. That said, I don't consider QBs "elite" after just two seasons in the league. He could very well be elite at some point, just not yet. Give it another year or two.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care what Wilson does as long as he proves that Luck was a overhyped bish from day 1. I have NEVER seen a QB who has done as little as Luck overhyped like he is. It's gotten ridiculous.

Enjoy ANOTHER cupcake schedule/division Luck. Can't wait until Clowney plants you on your ass.

Luck led a 2-16 ? team before he got there to a playoff spot with late game wins.

He brought his team back from 28 against the Chiefs.

BTW:
There has to be something worse in life than being a Chiefs fan but I have no idea what that could be.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, maybe he needs more time but it get frustrating when people dismiss his more than impressive NFL resume based solely off of passing yards. He's much more than a passing QB and he's far better than some of the haters want to admit. Hell, even Pete Prisco (known Wilson doubter and Luck nut hugger) is coming around and starting to give Wilson his due.

Oh I understand getting tired of folks who act like passing yards are the only thing that matters. Acting like one stat in a vacuum is the only one that matters is stupid, but truthfully I think we haven't seen Wilson at his every best yet, by a long shot. I think everyone will sit up and noticed this year.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck led a 2-16 ? team before he got there to a playoff spot with late game wins.

He brought his team back from 28 against the Chiefs.

BTW:
There has to be something worse in life than being a Chiefs fan but I have no idea what that could be.

Luck was/is a legit #1 pick.

RGIII was a legit #2 pick, but was grossly mismanaged by his overrated coach at the time.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A better question would be; can a player be considered elite after two seasons?

The real question is why can't a player be elite? Just because they haven't done it for 6+ years doesn't mean they're not currently elite when their performance, and stats state otherwise. I made the same case for Rodgers 3 years ago just before he won his first SB in his third year starting.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck was/is a legit #1 pick.

RGIII was a legit #2 pick, but was grossly mismanaged by his overrated coach at the time.

I put the injury aggravation in 2012 and the lost season of 2013 directly on Shanahan.
He has historically ground up his players.

RGIII will have to work hard to prove himself.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See other post where he's shown when the team needs him to step up and start chucking the rock he does so efficiently and effectively with an inferior line and WR corps and when they're losing or down late in the ball game instead of stat padding after the game is over or just the 1rst half.