• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Russel Wilson an ELITE QB?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,571.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The QB gets too much blame when a team loses and too much credit when they win.

Tony Romo is a perfect example of a QB getting too much blame, despite a porous defense. Oh, and the OC has too many passing plays when they have a good RB in Murray.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the defense is having a bad day and the running game is not working, can they win on his arm?
Can he perform like that if needed?

That is what will make him elite.

I think he is a top QB in ye leauge. Is he the best, no, but he is smart and listens to his coaches and is reading the defense. You don't have to throw for 300 yards to win every week in the NFL.

bigdaddytorr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. P. Manning
2. T. Brady
3. D. Brees
4. A. Rodgers
5. A. Luck
6. B. Roethlisberger
7. P. Rivers
8. T. Romo
9. J. Cutler
10. M. Ryan
11. N. Foles
12. R. Wilson
13. M. Stafford
14. C. Newton
15. J. Flacco
16. E. Manning
17. A. Dalton
18. J. Locker
19. C. Kaepernick
20. R. Griffin III
21. C. Palmer
22. R. Tannehill
23. A. Smith
24. G. Smith
25. D. Carr
26. M. Cassel
27. C. Henne
28. R. Fitzpatrick
29. J. McCown
30. EJ Manuel
31. B. Hoyer
32. S. Hill

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elite
Rodgers
Brady
Brees
P. Manning

Next tier
E. Manning
Roethisberger
Wilson
Luck
Flacco

Third tier
Rivers
Kaepernick
Stafford
Newton
Romo
Daulton

Missing some most likely but this is top of my head

Chicago fans are mad

VikingsAD28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Russell Wilson's rookie year he had 0-300 yard games and only 3 games in which he threw 30 or more passes. Last year he had only 2-300 yard games and only 3 games which he threw more than 30 passes. He has a total of about 6500 yards passing in the two seasons combined. That's about the same amount that the elite QB's would throw for in 20 games not 32. I'm not trying to cut on Wilson, he's like the ultimate game manager. He doesn't make mistakes, is a good leader, what he does, he does very well. He simply hasn't been asked to do a lot in the offense. What I'm saying is that he's not elite because he's not asked to be. The team around him including Lynch and the defense make his job a lot easier. Russell Wilson to me is a lot like Ben Roethlisberger in his first two years. Not elite but definitely in the top half the league.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is only one ELITE quarterback in the NFL. His name is Joe Flacco.

acb513f5414df8b1a6d15ca20ca88c44.jpg

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, the "any decent QB could have the #2 QB rating in history if they had a decent RB" line is really old and really stupid. Where is this proof that people with great RBs have great stats?

Did Barry Sanders or Walter Payton have QBs with stats like Russell? No. AP? No.

When Chris Johnson ran for 2,000 yards, his QB rating must have been great, right? No, it was 65.5.
When LT won the MVP, his QB must have had the best season of his career, right? No, it was actually below River's career average.

Troy Aikman is in the Hall of Fame and had the leading rusher of all-time with an offensive line and receiving corp that put Russell's to shame. Did he have stats like Russell? Outside of one season, No. Russell Wilson's 2nd best season was better than Troy Aikman's 2nd best. And of course, Russell has only had 2 seasons. Was Troy Aikman elite? If so, you can't claim Russell Wilson isn't.

The arguments are stale. But we've heard the all before. We heard them when he was starting at Wisconsin, about how it was all his teammates. They assured us that he didn't have NFL potential. We heard it again after the draft. Sure, his skills look good, but he is too short to ever be an NFL starter. We heard it after he won the job. Sure, he looks great in the preseason, but he's still (to quote ESPN "expert" John Clayton) clearly the worst starter in the league. And again, we heard it after he had the best rookie season since Marino. Sure, he had a good year, but he'll never be able to take the next step.

Here we stand. He's won the Super Bowl. He has the second highest QB rating ever. He's done it with below-average O-Lines and receiving corps. He was #4 in yards per attempt. He was the #3 rusher among QBs. He has been the most accurate deep passer in the league the last two years.

At some point, don't you just want to cut your losses and admit you were wrong?

Great post. :10:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care what Wilson does as long as he proves that Luck was a overhyped bish from day 1. I have NEVER seen a QB who has done as little as Luck overhyped like he is. It's gotten ridiculous.

Enjoy ANOTHER cupcake schedule/division Luck. Can't wait until Clowney plants you on your ass.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Russell Wilson's rookie year he had 0-300 yard games and only 3 games in which he threw 30 or more passes. Last year he had only 2-300 yard games and only 3 games which he threw more than 30 passes. He has a total of about 6500 yards passing in the two seasons combined. That's about the same amount that the elite QB's would throw for in 20 games not 32. I'm not trying to cut on Wilson, he's like the ultimate game manager. He doesn't make mistakes, is a good leader, what he does, he does very well. He simply hasn't been asked to do a lot in the offense. What I'm saying is that he's not elite because he's not asked to be. The team around him including Lynch and the defense make his job a lot easier. Russell Wilson to me is a lot like Ben Roethlisberger in his first two years. Not elite but definitely in the top half the league.

Well the thing is that too many people think like you and only look at passing stats when determining "elite". Wilson may only have 6500 passing yards, but his rushing yards count too, his rushing TD's count too. The top two "elite" considered QBs right now are Brady and Manning. In two seasons Wilson has rushed for 1048 yards. It's taken Manning 16 seasons to rush for 697 yards, and its taken Brady 13 seasons to get to 766 yards rushing. Brady has 14 rushing TDs in 13 years, Manning has 18 in 16 years. Wilson has 5 in two years. Every TD counts, not just the ones through the air. You need to consider everything that a QB does, and is capable of ,in order to rank them properly. If you only use one metric, like passing, you aren't getting the whole picture. Wilson is never going to threaten Brady or Manning's passing numbers but he's already surpassed their rushing numbers by a mile.

Peyton's first two seasons = 8009 total yards (rush and pass) and 54 TDs. (rush and pass)
Brady's first two seasons = 6760 total yards (rush and pass) and 47 TDs (rush and pass)
Wilson's first two seasons = 7503 total yards (rush and pass) and 57 TDs (rush and pass)

Please tell me how Wilson doesn't compare with the two consensus picks for most elite QBs playing right now at the same point in their careers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is on the hall of fame path. People just hate to admit it because the white boy (yes I'm white) poster child of the last decade of drafts is not panning out. Naturally, it's easy for people to hate on Wilson.

Wilson is THE BEST QB of that draft, and it's heartbreaking to so many who had so many QBs pegged ahead of him. I called RG Knee a bust from the start, and was skeptical (EVERYONE should've been, Luck was destined to win 5 SBOWLS in his first 6 years) of Luck.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He plays very well in the system they have. They don't really rely on him like some teams do with their quarterbacks like Denver, Green Bay, New Orleans, and New England though. It's yet to be seen if he can completely take over games like those guys but he makes great decisions and accurate throws. You can't ask for much more than that. Elite? No.

Packers do not rely on Rodgers as they have an excellent running game and when Rodgers won the SB they had the best defense in the NFL. Denver was able to make it to divisional championship game with Tebow and that's with less talent than they currently have. NO won the SB when they had the best defense in terms of creating turnovers (Vikes were the better overall team that year though). NE has the best system in the game.

Wilson's system is run on first run on second every time unless the game is close or they are losing. This is why Wilson is asked to do much more than any other QB since D's know 100% the pass is coming for majority of Wilson's passes. Also, when they have needed him to step up and put the team on his back he has shown countless times he can win games in the end with excellent decision making, precision and overall leading his team. The man's only weakness now is lack of experience which is quickly fading away.