• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Philip Rivers a HOFer?

Is Philip Rivers a Hall of Famer?

• Yes

• No

• Has work to do still, but it's possible.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's better than Brees so in the top 3-5 qb's in the league.....And stat wise he may make it but not likely a 1st ballot.....
However I don't think he has accomplished anything worthy of HOF at this point and would need at least a SB showing, but with some of the flukes they've inducted these days, shoot, Dirty Sanchez may make it in.....:noidea:
:eek: :L :tsk:

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Rivers AGAIN on the road to 8-8 with a SB roster AGAIN

Some people will just never be convinced

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took his job and has never got cut like him, so laugh on that Corky.....
they had to get rid of Brees because he couldnt take the job from him LOL

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's better than Brees so in the top 3-5 qb's in the league.....

Never been better than Brees. Rivers has never been considered a top 5 QB in the league. Even this year, he'd only be like the 7th best QB. Not HOF material.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i gained respect when he played on one leg here in a playoff game, while LT pouted under a hoodie.

rivers had bone on bone in his knee. manned up.
and here we go lol

Philip Rivers Renewed: At 36, Chargers QB Sees a Prime Chance to Seal His Legacy

It wasn't easy in 2008 after losing the AFC Championship Game. Rivers tore his ACL in the divisional playoff game and had a hush-hush arthroscopic surgery between games. He put a brace on his leg and went out and threw 37 passes, leading a team of wounded warriors in one of the most courageous performances in NFL history. The Chargers scored only four field goals in a 21-12 loss to Brady's Patriots.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistically, if you put Eli and Ben in the HoF, you have to put Rivers in as well. However, him not winning a Super Bowl, in my opinion, hurts him. He's got about the same passing yardage, he's been to more pro bowls than Ben and Eli, he's more accurate then Ben and Eli, he's got less INTs and more TDs than Ben and Eli. The only real difference are the Super Bowls.

Yep, and that's team success, but QB's are still heavily judged by it ...

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally get what you're saying but how legit a criteria is "he was never too 3 at his position"? Especially given the fact you could make a strong argument that hes playing in the same era as 4 of the best 5 QBs of all time.

Again...look at the numbers. 26 modern day QB's in 70 years have gone into the HOF. That works out to around 3 or 4 every decade. There are four (Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers) from Rivers' era who should be locks, and no other QB in the league can crack that level. Even as great as those four have been, their numbers are inflated nonetheless, thus their 'greatness' is overhyped....given when people compare them without context.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they had to get rid of Brees because he couldnt take the job from him LOL

Dream on Dopey, they drafted Eli and traded NY for Rivers because Eli didn't want to play for SD beings they stunk with Brees under center until Rivers came in and Brees finally caught lightening in a bottle for that yr but he was already on the way out when he got hurt the last play of the season for them.....Rivers was their franchise qb, not Brees, and has held it down ever since.....

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dream on Dopey, they drafted Eli and traded NY for Rivers because Eli didn't want to play for SD beings they stunk with Brees under center until Rivers came in and Brees finally caught lightening in a bottle for that yr but he was already on the way out when he got hurt the last play of the season for them.....Rivers was their franchise qb, not Brees, and has held it down ever since.....
well of course he was on his way out. But Rivers couldnt take the job, they had to get rid of Brees. They werent gonna take top draft pick & never start him.
Brees went on to win a championship, Rivers not so much.
Some might think SD made an oops!
His lightning in a bottle has been ever since then too. not one year.
*eagerly awaits next name to be called*

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well of course he was on his way out. But Rivers couldnt take the job, they had to get rid of Brees. They werent gonna take top draft pick & never start him.

Let it rest.

When you argue with the addled ........

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never been better than Brees. Rivers has never been considered a top 5 QB in the league. Even this year, he'd only be like the 7th best QB. Not HOF material.

Well I didn't say he was a definite HOF'mer.....But I disagree on the never top 5, and who do you have for the 6 above him right now ?
Brady, AR are givens but how bout the others ????....You could argue Brees and Ben but that would still put him in the top 5....

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SD groomed him that one yr because Brees surprisingly was playing very well after what 2 yrs of stinking it up....And Brees has 1 championship but has more yrs in the league also than Rivers....
It was also Brees's last yr on his rookie deal and they weren't gonna pay for a guy who had 1 good yr and 2 bad.....It's just my opinion, but I'd take Rivers over Brees anytime.....

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again...look at the numbers. 26 modern day QB's in 70 years have gone into the HOF. That works out to around 3 or 4 every decade. There are four (Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers) from Rivers' era who should be locks, and no other QB in the league can crack that level. Even as great as those four have been, their numbers are inflated nonetheless, thus their 'greatness' is overhyped....given when people compare them without context.
Big Ben is a first ballot guy.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SD groomed him that one yr because Brees surprisingly was playing very well after what 2 yrs of stinking it up....And Brees has 1 championship but has more yrs in the league also than Rivers....
It was also Brees's last yr on his rookie deal and they weren't gonna pay for a guy who had 1 good yr and 2 bad.....It's just my opinion, but I'd take Rivers over Brees anytime.....

In that moment yes I'd take Rivers. Hindsight, Brees. But Brees was coming off that major shoulder injury that had teams wondering if he'd be the same and he was asking top 5 franchise QB money to boot. It wasn't a move anyone was questioning at the time.

Same with Manning vs. Luck. Nobody at the time was saying keeping Manning had to be the right call, when no one was even sure if he could throw. They had to go with the QB they liked who could play.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And honestly, not beating out Brees isn't a bad thing. It's not like we knock Rodgers for not beating out Favre for a few years. We don't say Staubach sucks cause he couldn't beat out Morton until he signed that WFL contract. Or Aikman couldn't beat out Walsh until he was traded away.

Lots of guys spent a year or more as a backup to lesser QB's than Brees and ones playing worse than him at the time.